Wedding 911

So lost about wedding colors!

So I have no idea what to do with wedding colors. My FI really wants to wear a (royal?) blue tux with a gold tie (picture below) So I was going to go with blue and gold but I want a third color...I was thinking gray? Idk im kinda lost. anyone else have any suggestions on a color scheme to go with this look?

Re: So lost about wedding colors!

• I think they're so striking against one another that you're best off going with sort of an accent color. Gray could work, also a muted sea-green/teal would look nice. Or a muted yellow/cream. Something not terribly bold. 

http://indianweddingsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/navy-yellow-gold-indian-wedding-palette-blog.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That's a suit in your photo, not a tux. A tux should only ever be black. Suits come in a lot of colors.

I went a wedding in September where the groom wore a royal blue suit (don't recall the tie). IMHO, it's going to date their pictures a whole lot, but he seemed happy so whatever.

Here's a color scheme incorporating your royal blue and gold plus other colors that looks really nice:
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks for the link. You're right it's a suit in the picture but there are more then just black tux's...white tux's are still widely available and they do make colored ones. I figure something is going to date my pictures...whither it be my hair, makeup, or the fact there are no hover boards ;-D
  • That suit in the picture is almost exactly like what my FI is going to be wearing, but his is more navy. Everything else is yellow -- more canary than gold, though. We're not doing any other colors deliberately, but some of the items I have also have accents of kelly green, which looks really nice. 
  • Thanks for the link. You're right it's a suit in the picture but there are more then just black tux's...white tux's are still widely available and they do make colored ones. I figure something is going to date my pictures...whither it be my hair, makeup, or the fact there are no hover boards ;-D
    You are correct. They're available, but they're passing trends. When I said a tux should only ever be black, that's because it's a traditional look that never goes out of style (unless it has some weird lapel or something).
    *********************************************************************************

• That reminds me of Beauty and the Beast. I've never been too keen of the blue and yellow, but maybe a deep red?
  • I'd stay neutral for the third color or you'll end up more school-ish (primary colors if you add red) or end up where any one, like the blue, doesn't stand out. Light gray would work. Maybe ivory if the shade of yellow/gold is right. Or just keep it to the two so things aren't busy.
  • KikiMiraKikiMira member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    We did Navy Blue, Silver and off white with hints of Sage.  I loved our color scheme and the boys wore black pants and silver vests. I can post a link to our wedding too see how our colors worked.

I think that you could do a blue, gold and ivory or a blue, gold and silver. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    You are correct. They're available, but they're passing trends. When I said a tux should only ever be black, that's because it's a traditional look that never goes out of style (unless it has some weird lapel or something).
    I was just about to point out that we are looking for tuxes and are considering a tan tux. Although it looks like a very, very fancy and expensive suit, not a tux. All the sales people call it a tux so I was about to ask what you meant!!! I don't know anything about men's fashion. 

Anyway, OP

This helped me a lot in visualiziong what looked good together. Also, get on pintrest and search gold and blue weddings and see what sorts of things come up. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    Thanks for the link. You're right it's a suit in the picture but there are more then just black tux's...white tux's are still widely available and they do make colored ones. I figure something is going to date my pictures...whither it be my hair, makeup, or the fact there are no hover boards ;-D
    I was just about to point out that we are looking for tuxes and are considering a tan tux. Although it looks like a very, very fancy and expensive suit, not a tux. All the sales people call it a tux so I was about to ask what you meant!!! I don't know anything about men's fashion. 

Anyway, OP

This helped me a lot in visualiziong what looked good together. Also, get on pintrest and search gold and blue weddings and see what sorts of things come up. 
    For sure! When I think of colored tuxes, I think back to old wedding photos where men are wearing baby blue, brown, or white tuxes. They look so dated. Like this:

Probably awesome and trendy at the time, but not exactly timeless. If people don't care, then whatever. It's not like the fashion police aren't going to crash someone's wedding!

• larrygaga said:
    Thanks for the link. You're right it's a suit in the picture but there are more then just black tux's...white tux's are still widely available and they do make colored ones. I figure something is going to date my pictures...whither it be my hair, makeup, or the fact there are no hover boards ;-D

Anyway, OP

For sure! When I think of colored tuxes, I think back to old wedding photos where men are wearing baby blue, brown, or white tuxes. They look so dated. Like this:

Probably awesome and trendy at the time, but not exactly timeless. If people don't care, then whatever. It's not like the fashion police aren't going to crash someone's wedding!

When I think of colored tux's I automatically think of Jim Carey and Jeff Daniels in Dumb & Dumber
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards