Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Friends is a stylist, how do I approach asking her to do my hair?

Hi all:

A good friend of mine who lives in another city where I used to live about 6 hours away is a hair stylist. I used to go to her all the time, but of course now I can only see her when I am back in town visiting which is less and less often. I've always thought that I would ask her to do my hair on my wedding day and in fact we have had these conversations when my wedding was a pipe dream, but of course I want her to be a guest at my wedding. Should I wait until after she gets a STD or wedding invitation to ask her?  I know when I offer to pay her that she will tell me it's her wedding gift to me (this is what she has done for other friends). But should I offer her hotel room? Or is that insulting if she offers the service as a gift?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Re: Friends is a stylist, how do I approach asking her to do my hair?

• If I were you, I would just call her soon and talk about it (doesn't have to be after she gets STD). If she insists on doing your hair as a gift to you, tell her you want to pay for her hotel room. I personally don't think she would be offended at all; it's a nice gesture and shows you didn't invite her simply so she would offer to do your hair free. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I never found a hairstylist and my friend offered to do it for me the week of the wedding when she found out what I was going through. She even did all 3 of my bridesmaids hair and the flower girl. She wouldn't let me pay her and only ended up coming for the ceremony. When I sent her a Thank You card for attending the wedding and doing our hair I put some cash in the card and hand-delivered it to her. She couldn't say no at that point and it was the least I could do at that point. She literally saved the day. 
  • The hotel room would be a nice gesture. I was in a wedding a few months ago where the bride not only asked on of our friends to do her hair for free but then also made her pay for part of the hotel room we were staying in. My friend was way too sweet to say something but it was not cool. 
  • You don't have to wait until you send an STD or invite. Just make sure you do offer to pay her as with any other vendor. I think it's a nice gesture to pick up her hotel room since she would technically be a remote vendor. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm in agreement with other PP, offer to pay for service, if she refuses, offer to pay for room. If she refuses that, give her a gift afterwards.

• Erikan73 said:

I'm in agreement with other PP, offer to pay for service, if she refuses, offer to pay for room. If she refuses that, give her a gift afterwards.

Ditto this. One of my best friends is a hairdresser. She did my hair and makeup (and made my bouquets) as my wedding gift. She wouldn't let me pay for her hotel room (she and her husband stayed at the resort of the weekend). But I got her a beautiful piece of jewelry from Italy while on our honeymoon. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards