Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair Skin, and Nails vitamins (gummies) -- my review

Two weeks ago I purchased Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins with biotin. I saw mostly positive reviews on Amazon regarding the healthy hair and nails portion, but I was very upset to discover that it caused my skin to break out terribly. Usually my skin is pretty clear with a little blemish every now and then, but right after I started taking these, new pimples were popping up in places I usually don't break out, like forehead and cheeks, which usually means it's not hormonal (hormonal acne is usually in the chin area). And they were bad pimples, the ones that stay red on your face for like a week. Two of the really bad ones are still on my face! It's so embarrassing. I can't even remember the last time I had a really bad zit that wouldn't go away... I really thought I was done with my old blemish cover-up that got its last use years ago in my greasy college days.

Anyway, I know this product is probably great for a lot of people, but it's definitely not for everyone. I did some research on why my skin was breaking out and read that there is something in the vitamins that work to turnover skin cells quicker so that you get a healthy glow, but that sometimes (for people like me), it causes pores to get clogged up and breakouts to happen. It just wasn't for me, and I'm quitting the vitamins today. I hated that I wasted a good chunk of money on them and had to face a couple of holiday parties already looking like a 16 year old, but hey, lesson learned. Glad I didn't start taking these a month before my wedding. 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Hair Skin, and Nails vitamins (gummies) -- my review

• Thanks for the review!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I started taking these same vitamins about a month ago.

When I first started, I took one a day and on the third day woke up with a huge cystic pimple. I stopped taking them for a few days and then started up again every other day while increasing my water intake (a lot of websites I found said that drinking more water is crucial to avoid breakouts while taking these).

The day after I started up, I had some small pimples appear around my chin but they have since cleared away and I think my body is starting to adjust to them. I'm going to keep taking them every other day unless the acne starts to come back again.
  • That is so frustrating!  Thank you for the review.  I am trying to iron out a skin care regimen, so I am glad I read this before trying anything.  Going to do some more research!
  • Thank you for posting this.  I thought about taking them to get my hair to grow longer, but not now!  I have terrible acne prone skin as it is, the last thing I need would be to have even more breakouts!

• I've been taking the normal skin hair and nails with no adverse side effects, perhaps the gummies have more junk in them. You could just take biotin and a multi-v to get similar results with less risk of side effects.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards