Chit Chat

Vent

A coworker and I carpool to work. She texted me a half hour before we normally leave saying that she'll be a little late. It takes half an hour to get to work and we leave an hour before we start. So I waited until 20 min before work and texted her asking when she would be here. She said in about 10 min. It's now been 40 min since then. We are 30 min late already plus travel time. I know I should've asked her for a specific time in the first place so that I could find another ride if necessary. But to me a little late is leaving no more than 15-30 min after we usually do. I'm also curious to find out why she's this late. She's always on time.

Re: Vent

• I loathe lateness.  Are you going to be docked time/pay for being late?  This isn't just late for coffee, this is late for work.  Argggg. 
    Granted, I really hope nothing bad happened to her.  But this isn't cool. 

• Since we're still in training, our names are just written on a sheet with no way to record lateness. But the training is intense and missing even 10 minutes causes us to miss a lot of important information. Plus it doesn't make a good impression.
  • I called her and she's not answering her phone, so I'm sort of worried.
  • First off, I hope she is ok. Second, you need to find another ride in the future. Your job is at stake and being late, especially when you are still in training, is not acceptable. I would just tell her, "Hey, coworker, I appreciate the carpooling, but I have decided to go another route to work".

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Oof. Hope she's okay and that you get to work soon. This is why I don't carpool, no matter how much my job encourages it. I need to be in control of my own work route.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh no.  That doesn't seem good at all. I'd be super worried too. 

• First off, I hope she is ok. Second, you need to find another ride in the future. Your job is at stake and being late, especially when you are still in training, is not acceptable. I would just tell her, "Hey, coworker, I appreciate the carpooling, but I have decided to go another route to work".

I would but this is the first time that she's been late.
  • Teddy917 said:

First off, I hope she is ok. Second, you need to find another ride in the future. Your job is at stake and being late, especially when you are still in training, is not acceptable. I would just tell her, "Hey, coworker, I appreciate the carpooling, but I have decided to go another route to work".

Sorry I missed that in your OP. I still would be hesitant to carpool, though. Then again, I am a very prompt person. 10 minutes early is on time for me. On time is late for me. I also recognize that I am kind of anal retentive when it comes to my schedule.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Teddy917 said:

First off, I hope she is ok. Second, you need to find another ride in the future. Your job is at stake and being late, especially when you are still in training, is not acceptable. I would just tell her, "Hey, coworker, I appreciate the carpooling, but I have decided to go another route to work".

Sorry I missed that in your OP. I still would be hesitant to carpool, though. Then again, I am a very prompt person. 10 minutes early is on time for me. On time is late for me. I also recognize that I am kind of anal retentive when it comes to my schedule.

I'm the same way. 30 min early is on time. 15 is late.

I found out her hair appointment (cut and color) took longer than it should've. Like couple hours longer. She also had car trouble. But we didn't get in trouble since we texted our trainer.

• I'm sorry, her HAIR appointment? Uh-uh. That wouldn't fly with me as a coworker or a manager. You call or text at the very least if you're running late and you're not in a position where you can't send a quick message.

Ugh. That annoys the crap out of me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Do you have a car? I would say carpool until she's late, then go ahead and take off in your own car. I hope it's not a neccessary car pool. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    Do you have a car? I would say carpool until she's late, then go ahead and take off in your own car. I hope it's not a neccessary car pool. 
    If OP is driving, that probably means it's not necessary for OP, but might be necessary for coworker. In which case, sounds like coworker's problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• For a hairdresser 's appointment? I would be tempted to pull out a handful of her hair for that stunt during a training period. Your trainer may say that it is OK to keep the peace then hold it against you as much as her in any rating performance, and you will not know..
  • For a hairdresser 's appointment? I would be tempted to pull out a handful of her hair for that stunt during a training period. Your trainer may say that it is OK to keep the peace then hold it against you as much as her in any rating performance, and you will not know..
    This. Don't let this woman drag you down.

(I'm sorry, I just really hate this sort of thing...)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Being late is my number 1 pet peeve.
  • WUT. She was late for a hair appointment? 

We have a husband and wife that we're really good friends with and hang out with often. I love them dearly, but they are ALWAYS late and it makes me insane. 
  • At my job, you get to be late 3 times and then you are fired. The only possible exception to this rule is a death or dam near death experience that virtually ensures you could not possibly come to work on time.

If your coworker was late just because of a hair appointment, I would definitely be looking for a new ride or just drive myself. Not worth risking your job because someone values their outward appearance over their job.
  • Oh my god. Every time I get my hair cut and colored, it always takes longer than I think it will. I schedule that shit after work or on my day off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards