Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitations for Spanish/American wedding in Spain

Hi all, I am struggling with deciding what to do for invitations for our wedding.

Fiancé is Spanish, I am American. We are getting married next summer in his hometown in Spain, so for my half of the guests it's a destination wedding and for his half it's just up the street. I'm not sure what to do for invitations because the information needed on an invitation is totally different for DWs than local ones, but I'm reluctant to break the bank doing two sets of small-batch invitations if there is a reasonable solution I'm just not seeing...

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Re: Invitations for Spanish/American wedding in Spain

• Actually the invitations for those out of town really don't have to be any different then those who are local.  Both need the same information on the invite (date, time, location).  Both need reception information (location and address).  Both should have accommodation information included (I would provide 3 options if possible) because even some locals may want to spend the night depending on just how far of a drive home it is.

What you should do is send STDs, especially to those who will need to travel (send them out about 9-12 months before your wedding).  Also put together a wedding website and list the website address on your STDs.  This is where you can go into greater detail for your out of towners.

The only difference I could see between the two is if your FI family in Spain only speaks Spanish. Then you may need to have an English and a Spanish invitation version depending on who you are sending it to.

• Yeah, I left out that crucial detail! His family speaks no English and mine speaks no Spanish. So really it's choosing between doing a double sided invitation or totally separate ones. Is it tacky to do a card with English on one side and Spanish on the other? In Spain invitations tend toward the formal side so I'm worried MIL will throw a fit. 
  • Other than the language, there is no difference in the wording for destination weddings.  I would do the double sided invitations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree with CMGr.  I would just do double sided invites.  You can still be very formal even when you need to include both languages.  And make sure that all extra insert cards are bi-lingual as well.

• This is a unique sitation, I would probably do double sided if I were in your situation. Also I think having a website will be huge cost saver for you because instead of doing all the inserts (which can rack up the international mailing rate fast) just put one insert in there where in spanish & english it says "For additional wedding details like hotel, directions, etc, please check out our website as xxxx" then you can put the information on your website in Spanish & English to accomodate everyone.
  • Erikan73 said:
    This is a unique sitation, I would probably do double sided if I were in your situation. Also I think having a website will be huge cost saver for you because instead of doing all the inserts (which can rack up the international mailing rate fast) just put one insert in there where in spanish & english it says "For additional wedding details like hotel, directions, etc, please check out our website as xxxx" then you can put the information on your website in Spanish & English to accomodate everyone.
    No, it is NOT a unique situation.  It is a very common one.  That word "unique" does not mean what you think it does,  (My pet peeve!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Lol....ok, well thanks everyone for the input! I will look around for double sided invitations and see if anything could work :)
  • OP, definitely do some googling but I would also suggest maybe going to a local stationary store that does wedding invites and talk to them about this.  They may be able to suggest something that would work best for what you are needing.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards