Chit Chat

Turning of the Year

Happy holiday to those who, like my family, celebrate the turning of the year, the longest night, before the days begin to lengthen.

In northern Scandinavia where the Saami people live, a tradition that precedes Christianity in the time at the winter solstice when the sun never rises over the horizon. Though this is only a single "2day" long night near the arctic circle, as you go farther north it may be 5 days before and after, especially where either mountains raise the horizon to the south.
Banks of clouds or blowing snow can extend this dark time too, so some years even well below the arctic the sun may not appear for weeks.

This is the source of the 5000 or more year old tales of the Creator Goddess Bewei who rides down the light beams of the Aurora Borealis in a sleigh made of curved whale ribs and reindeer ribs pulled by magical flying reindeer. Her passenger is her daughter, who will one day take responsibility for all the encampments of people in all the towns below the Goddesses' home at the top of the world ( north pole). In this long night which may last 2 weeks, they visit every settlement, bring gifts of food and oils(think whale oil and other ) to burn to keep the light and the cooking and heating fires going.

As they go from one place to another they bring greetings from distant family, and where one nomadic reindeer herding group has a surplus of food this year, they pick it up and pass it on, to those having a hard year.

Thus traditions of family finishing their journey with herds and returning home to wintering grounds. Hunkered in with family, visiting each other and feasting. Below the arctic where there are trees they cut and haul wood by sledge , with their own earth bound reindeer, supplementing the animal oils and fats to last the winter.

And any stranger or visitors from their own or other groups are treated to a feast in exchange for telling new stories.

Not hard to see how this legend, crossed with the real St. Nicholas, merged to become Santa Claus.
Enjoy the company of family and friends, eat well and be happy. Wag

Re: Turning of the Year

• I'm sorry I thought this was America.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thank you for sharing! I loved hearing about this.
    larrygaga said:

I'm sorry I thought this was America.

Seriously?

image   image   image

• Thank you for sharing! I loved hearing about this.
    Seriously?
    Pretty sure she was being facetious.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Born here in New Hampshire. But I am half Finnish Saami and half Inuit on both my parents sides. Not international, though I am a dual citizen (Greenland).
  • Born here in New Hampshire. But I am half Finnish Saami and half Inuit on both my parents sides. Not international, though I am a dual citizen (Greenland).
    That's really cool!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    beethery said:

Thank you for sharing! I loved hearing about this.
    larrygaga said:

Seriously?

Pretty sure she was being facetious.

The Internet is a serious place! Thank jaysus someone on this board has humor.

Fi is Algonquin with Inuit roots and damn do they have good stories. OP I appreciate your post and I'm usually joking All the time just fyi. You are the only person in this post I'm worried about offending! Fi grew up on a reservation on Lake Superior! Welcome fellow rare culture person! Of course, I'm a white girl so you know lalala
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I celebrate the solstices. Double extra fun that it was the new moon this year, too. I have never heard of your traditions but definitely interesting.
  • Op thank you for sharing your traditions with us!

@ic07 happy Solstice!!!  It's nice to know another poster on here celebrates it. I'm trying to participate in an up all night but it I'm starting to get sleepy. 
  • jdluvr06 said:
    Op thank you for sharing your traditions with us!

@ic07 happy Solstice!!!  It's nice to know another poster on here celebrates it. I'm trying to participate in an up all night but it I'm starting to get sleepy. 

Happy Solstice and New Moon to you and your family as well! I have been trying to see Venus re-appear and the meteor shower but there's a light cloud cover that just rolled in tonight. I did do a small, casual ceremony with a friend tonight and it was nice to sit outside and talk about what's been going on and where we've been and where we are headed.

I haven't been active in the moon celebration stuff for several months. I definitely miss it. I cried a lot tonight because it was the first time that Kitty wasn't wandering in and out of our space that we set up outside for moon stuff. I brought her ashes out, though and talked about her a little bit. I felt her presence and that was nice. But it was a really great celebration and I want to get into it more. I didn't know about an "up all night" thing..? Waiting for the return of the light?

• lc07 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

Happy Solstice and New Moon to you and your family as well! I have been trying to see Venus re-appear and the meteor shower but there's a light cloud cover that just rolled in tonight. I did do a small, casual ceremony with a friend tonight and it was nice to sit outside and talk about what's been going on and where we've been and where we are headed.

I haven't been active in the moon celebration stuff for several months. I definitely miss it. I cried a lot tonight because it was the first time that Kitty wasn't wandering in and out of our space that we set up outside for moon stuff. I brought her ashes out, though and talked about her a little bit. I felt her presence and that was nice. But it was a really great celebration and I want to get into it more. I didn't know about an "up all night" thing..? Waiting for the return of the light?

That sounds lovely. I hope that you are able to get more into it. I havent been able to do any moon celebrations for a while either. The first year of any holiday without a loved one is hard. I'm glad you were able to honor kitty's memory tonight. ((((Hugs)))

It isn't really a formal celebration or anything but I have a small group of friends who I try to stay up all night with. Youre right we are waiting for the return of light. We each light a small candle and set it in a window and when the dawn breaks we blow it out. Until then we just talk. We used to do it in person but we're all scattered now so we make a small chatroom. We pretty much chat about our lives, movies, music, share pics, ect. Usually it is easy for me to pull an all nighter but I'm having trouble this year. I have a feeling it is because I'm knocked up.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    jdluvr06 said:
    lc07 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

That sounds lovely. I hope that you are able to get more into it. I havent been able to do any moon celebrations for a while either. The first year of any holiday without a loved one is hard. I'm glad you were able to honor kitty's memory tonight. ((((Hugs)))

It isn't really a formal celebration or anything but I have a small group of friends who I try to stay up all night with. Youre right we are waiting for the return of light. We each light a small candle and set it in a window and when the dawn breaks we blow it out. Until then we just talk. We used to do it in person but we're all scattered now so we make a small chatroom. We pretty much chat about our lives, movies, music, share pics, ect. Usually it is easy for me to pull an all nighter but I'm having trouble this year. I have a feeling it is because I'm knocked up.

Thanks, I can (get more into it). It's totally just a time management/stop avoiding things thing. I am kind of operating in an emotional void/feel-the-slightest-emotion-go-into-avoidance-mode because of the divorce and losing Kitty. But my best friend here in CA inspires me to keep moving and so I do - and I'm glad I do - events like these just don't have as much pre meditation as they did in the past on my part. So I do less planning and journaling and research before our celebrations or sometimes (like the past several months) they just don't happen at all. Basically, I'm much more disconnected from myself and the universe and everything else because I don't know how to deal with what I have at the moment.

I love that you have a community of friends who celebrate the solstice together. Do you celebrate twice a month for the full moon and new moon?

And I love even more that you are pregnant and can't do it. :smile: ) <3 xxo What a wonderful reason to be falling asleep.

• jdluvr06jdluvr06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    lc07 said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    lc07 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

Thanks, I can (get more into it). It's totally just a time management/stop avoiding things thing. I am kind of operating in an emotional void/feel-the-slightest-emotion-go-into-avoidance-mode because of the divorce and losing Kitty. But my best friend here in CA inspires me to keep moving and so I do - and I'm glad I do - events like these just don't have as much pre meditation as they did in the past on my part. So I do less planning and journaling and research before our celebrations or sometimes (like the past several months) they just don't happen at all. Basically, I'm much more disconnected from myself and the universe and everything else because I don't know how to deal with what I have at the moment.

I love that you have a community of friends who celebrate the solstice together. Do you celebrate twice a month for the full moon and new moon?

And I love even more that you are pregnant and can't do it. :smile: ) <3 xxo What a wonderful reason to be falling asleep.

Sometimes it can be good to have that bit of a disconnect as long as you don't hold on to it for too long. IMO it gives you time to heal and re-evaluate. (((big hugs))) It is nice to have our little community. It can be hard to practice when you're going it alone sometimes so they are awesome. I used to celebrate twice a month but life has kind of gotten in the way so now I celebrate when I can and when I can't I try to find a quiet moment in the day to do something small. This usually happens right before bed. I'm so tired right now but I'm kind of determined. I don't want to fall asleep yet! Lol. ETA: TK ate my paragraphs.
  • So many huge hugs to you @IC07

I'm sure it's just the PMS/early-morning-and-coffee-hasn't-kicked-in state of mind, but your posts made me cry (I have basically a shrine to my old dog, complete with his ashes in a box, so I really, really feel your pain there), and just want you to know that I said a prayer for you (I wonder how hard God laughs when I pray for people by their screen name?) and I'm sending all the positive vibes your way.  ((((HUGS))))

• JDLuvro6 "Usually it is easy for me to pull an all nighter but I'm having trouble this year. I have a feeling it is because I'm knocked up."

My sister in law in northern Manitoba is in her last month pg, as I am. We were sending messages back and forth off and on last night.

Once babies are big enough to play soccer in your belly, and you have to pee every 60 - 90 minutes, staying up all night is no problem.

SIL and bro have a daytime just over 4 1/2 hours this time of year. Not for me. I am not as tough as my forbears. I have spent 6 to 8 months in northern Finland or coastal southern Greenland in 4 different years, loved being in the land of the midnight sun in summer. But I could never hack a full winter confined in small spaces with only a couple of hours a day.

Larrygaga I do have a sense of humor.
    Arctic and Subarctic First Peoples with no real education or written traditions until recent history generally have retained more story telling skills for long stories. Cree-Montagnais (Algonquin tribe) friends of family in Quebec have several elders who can go on for hours back and forth to fill a long night.
    Some family are going up for the next weekend .Having had a home birth in someone else's home in Quebec my first pregnancy, the day after 2 family weddings , and delivering a month early, I'm staying close to home this year.
    I will miss a good time. Worth it though,
  • Aw, thank you so much @lurkergirl ! I have a little shrine to Kitty, too, on my bookshelf. It has her ashes in a box and her stuffed animal (she had one she would carry around the house so adorable), and a few things that the cremation company gave to me - a lock of her fur and an imprint of her paw in ceramic. I'm so grateful they put that together for me! You are so sweet to pray for me. Your praying by username thing made me lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards