Offbeat Weddings

cousin is our officiant

edited November 2014 in Offbeat Weddings
I asked my cousin to marry us. I wanted him apart of the wedding but didn't want him standing on my side because I do like pictures to be uniform. And he didn't want to stand up with the guys So I asked him to marry us. I think it's fun and great we are very close and he's a great public speaker he's currently in school for politics. Our wedding isn't on a traditional base we aren't religious and don't want any type of religious ceremony also my cousin is an atheist. I'm sure some of you think this is a bit nutty because I know weddings are generally a religious type ceremony but that's not for us. So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what he would say or how to make it work?

Re: cousin is our officiant

• I asked my cousin to marry us. I wanted him apart of the wedding but didn't want him standing on my side because I do like pictured to be uniform. And he didn't want to stand up with the guys So I asked him to marry us. I think it's fun and great we are very close and he's a great public speaker he's currently in school for politics. Our wedding isn't on a traditional base we aren't religious and don't want any type of religious ceremony also my cousin is an atheist. I'm sure some of you think this is a bit nutty because I know weddings are generally a religious type ceremony but that's not for us. So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what he would say or how to make it work?
    Before anything else, I'd just like to address the fact that his orientation should have zero to do with any of this so I don't know why you'd bring it up.

That aside, is he actually ordained/a JP/otherwise legally qualified to officiate a wedding?

As to what an officiant would say in a secular ceremony, you can Google thousands of ceremony scripts to look at. And quite a few people have posted theirs on the board Ceremony and Vow Ideas.
  • We are having a friend officiate ours.  We are just going to read different ceremony scripts and pull what we like.
  • A lot of people have non-priests marry them. Literally just google non-secular wedding ceremony and you will find a million and one ideas.

My sister is marrying us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I asked my cousin to marry us. I wanted him apart of the wedding but didn't want him standing on my side because I do like pictured to be uniform. And he didn't want to stand up with the guys So I asked him to marry us. I think it's fun and great we are very close and he's a great public speaker he's currently in school for politics. Our wedding isn't on a traditional base we aren't religious and don't want any type of religious ceremony also my cousin is an atheist. I'm sure some of you think this is a bit nutty because I know weddings are generally a religious type ceremony but that's not for us. So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what he would say or how to make it work?
    Before anything else, I'd just like to address the fact that his orientation should have zero to do with any of this so I don't know why you'd bring it up.

That aside, is he actually ordained/a JP/otherwise legally qualified to officiate a wedding?

As to what an officiant would say in a secular ceremony, you can Google thousands of ceremony scripts to look at. And quite a few people have posted theirs on the board Ceremony and Vow Ideas.
    What?  I've read the original post about a dozen times now trying to figure out where she "brought up" her cousin's orientation.  Unless you think "athiest" is an orientation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards