Wedding Invitations & Paper

Cutting Down on Invitation Extras...Need Advice

I can't believe how expensive invitations can run.  In an effort to cut down on costs, I want to send only an invitation and response card with envelope.  The only issue I'm running into is how to word the reception location on the invitation.   My reception (which consists of cocktail hour, full dinner and dancing) is taking place at another location.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to word the reception information in one quick sentence at the bottom of the invitation? I'm thinking something like, "Please join us at seven o'clock at XX Venue for dinner and dancing." but I'm not sure that works well enough.  I plan on putting the reception directions inside our programs at the wedding and on our website.   

Thanks 

Re: Cutting Down on Invitation Extras...Need Advice

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    All you put on an invitation if the ceremony and reception are at the same location is "Reception to follow" after the main wording.

If they are at different locations you enclose an insert that reads

Reception
    Immediately following the ceremony
    Venue Name
    Venue Address
    City, State

You don't describe the reception, so no "dinner and dancing" type wording is used. And no time is given for the reception start, because it's presumed to begin as soon as the ceremony is over. Also, you don't want any of your guests to skip the ceremony and just go to the reception.
  • Ditto Jen, you need a separate card.  I'd spend the money and cut back a little somewhere else.  

Have you found your invitations yet?  Can we help you find something cheaper?
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I can't believe how expensive invitations can run.  In an effort to cut down on costs, I want to send only an invitation and response card with envelope.  The only issue I'm running into is how to word the reception location on the invitation.   My reception (which consists of cocktail hour, full dinner and dancing) is taking place at another location.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to word the reception information in one quick sentence at the bottom of the invitation? I'm thinking something like, "Please join us at seven o'clock at XX Venue for dinner and dancing." but I'm not sure that works well enough.  I plan on putting the reception directions inside our programs at the wedding and on our website.   

Thanks 
    It is never proper to describe your reception on the invitation.  No "dinner and dancing".  You cannot use the first person on your invitation if the invitation is correctly written in the third person.  You need a reception card.

Reception
    Seven o'clock
    Venue
    Address

I do hope there won't be a gap between your ceremony and the reception?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited December 2014
    I am not sure if you just forgot to include it in the post but you should really include return postage for your response cards.
    Other than that I agree with PP
  • Vistaprint is a very cheap place to get invitations and inserts done. I ordered 100 of each of these: two invitation pages (going to attach them together for the layered look), reception card, RSVP post card, upgraded envelopes, and envelope seals (120 of these) for about $240 including shipping and tax. The invitation pages and the reception card are on linen, which I thought was the nicest paper in the sample set they sent. Even if you are doing your invitations somewhere fancier you could get RSVP post cards on Vistaprint if you wanted. 

Woops, I somehow didn't get the memo on describing the reception so I fell for the "Cocktails, dinner and dancing" wording that google recommended to me. 
  • We included our reception info at the bottom of the main invitation to avoid purchasing the extra enclosure card.  

This is how I worded it:

Reception at five o'clock in the evening 
    at VENUE NAME
    CITY, STATE

It doesn't give much detail, but these days with the internet people can Google the reception venue and get the address. Providing the reception venue address in the invitation isn't as crucial as it used to be. Plus you can include a map on your ceremony program, like you mentioned, and people can find details on your wedding website. 

Good luck!
    --

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards