Wedding Woes

Re: Serial people!

• I saw that.  I'm curious about what's he's going to 'expose' about Sarah Koenig.  
  • Why do I feel like he's shopping for a deal with a news program or magazine? I feel like he knows now that the program was hugely successful and that he wants his piece of any sort of money that comes from that.
  • I finally caught up and listening to this while painting and cleaning. I think I have one episode left. 
  • I totally agree with you, @pmeg819. Doesn't mean I won't be reading/listening.
  • Oh defniitely. When he talks I'm sure I'll be there analyzing every word said!
  • Honestly, I would be more interested in hearing from Jay if I felt like he had any credibility whatsoever.  That said, I'll still be interested to hear what he says, believable or not.
  • Ooooh! Another interesting theory.

The following link will take you to a timeline using the cell phone logs but pointing fingers at Jay. It eerily lines up almost perfectly.

persephonemagazine.com/2014/12/making-sense-of-serial-who-did-it/
  • So which version of his story is this, now?  There have been so many that I can't keep track anymore.  Oh, but this one is the truth.  Not either of the versions he gave when he testified in court.  Under oath.  Okay.

The thing is, the logical, Dana-part of me thinks that it makes the most sense that Adnan did it.  Sure, he's likable, polite, and articulate, but to me, that's not mutually exclusive with snapping once and doing something truly awful.  And I'm hard-pressed to find a motive for Jay killing Hae.  But frankly, Jay isn't making my position any easier by spouting all this bullshit.  I would feel a lot better if he could keep at least some of his story straight.  Yeah, yeah, it's been 15 years, but holy shit, I hope if I ever helped someone bury a body, I would remember if it was 7:00 or after midnight, even 15 years later.  It's not like we're talking 6:15 vs. 6:20 here.  7:00 vs. midnight is a big difference.  (One of many.)
  • Well he's had 15 years and 12 podcasts (plus countless websites and forums) picking apart the evidence presented so I'm sure he has a very clear story now. That being said, his bit about being an inner city black guy dealing drugs does make sense as to why he wasn't entirely truthful. 15 years later and being black is still a dangerous prospect, so I can imagine being 18 and black back then didn't entirely lend him to being the police's BFF.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    PMeg819 said:
    Well he's had 15 years and 12 podcasts (plus countless websites and forums) picking apart the evidence presented so I'm sure he has a very clear story now. That being said, his bit about being an inner city black guy dealing drugs does make sense as to why he wasn't entirely truthful. 15 years later and being black is still a dangerous prospect, so I can imagine being 18 and black back then didn't entirely lend him to being the police's BFF.
    Maybe not, but some of what he said in the interview is clearly made-up.  He says he was home when Adnan called and said he (A) was outside his (J) house.  But a humongous-ass deal has been made of Adnan's call logs from that day--there was a whole episode about it--and yet there is no call to Jay's house.  ???

I think anyone could pick apart anyone's story if they get into enough nitty-gritty details, but there are some pretty big things that change every time he tells the story.

ETA:  again, not trying to nitpick, but he says that he and Adnan weren't very close, and then he launches into this whole psychological profile of "Adnan felt like a loser when Hae dumped him" and "Adnan felt a lot of pressure to be someone he wasn't."  Stuff that Adnan's actual friends never seemed to pick up on.  So is Jay some kind of super-astute observer of human psychology and behavior?  Or is he just full of shit? 
  • Sorry- let me clarify, I don't think he has a clear story. I think he thinks he has a great story. But like you pointed out, there are inconsistencies in this already. They aren't close by Jay's own words but Adnan gives him his car and cell phone. Okay. They aren't close, but he's confiding in Jay that he's so mad and upset about that he wants to kill Hae. And yes, the call to the Grandma's house was so made up.

I wonder if the reporter had a chance to call Jay out on any of these inconsistencies. I think that the Serial podcast put a lot of data out there, especially the call logs, and there are so many resources where people have put things together. I would hope that the reporter actually took the time to look at these things and have some well directed questions to poke holes.

I do also hope that if the Innocence Project is still working on this, they are able to use the inconsistency of Jay as a tool. I don't know if Adnan did it or not, but to base an entire case on the testimony of one person seems so desperate. I feel bad for Adnan in that his lawyer at the time clearly flubbed some things.
  • Oh, and one more thing- he says that Hae was cheating on Adnan. I think it was pretty well documented in the show that they had been broken up for some time and that others were aware of that.
  • Yeah, that "reporter" was lame.  No follow up questions, nothing probing, basically just "what's your side of the story?" rephrased a few different ways.  If I were Sarah Koenig, I would be muttering constantly as I read the interview.  "Yeah, but what about the Leakin Park pings?"  "Ask him about the red gloves!"

Also, I don't want to treat this too lightly, since it's nonfiction.  But when Jay says he rounded up some gardening tools?  Only these two would attempt to dig a grave with a couple of spades and a hoe.  No wonder they did such a shitty job. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards