Nevada-Las Vegas

Cocktail Reception for a late ceremony?

What are your thoughts on a cocktail reception (open bar, heavy apps and buffet stations, cake) for a late ceremony? The ceremony is at 7pm and the reception wouldn't start until 8:30. The reception venue closes at 11pm.

Is 8:30 too late for a four course meal? Is it tacky to NOT serve a full meal? Timing is really the main issue and the reason we are considering the cocktail reception option. We'll save some money with the cocktail reception, but not much because we want to make sure we have plenty of apps.

Re: Cocktail Reception for a late ceremony?

• I don't think 8:30 is too, too late. As long as your guests know the timing of the ceremony and the reception, they can plan ahead for what/how they eat that day.

That said, unless your ceremony or transfer time between ceremony and reception will take 1.5 hours, I'd suggest having your cocktail hour start at 8 if you can, and if you and your husband join up a little later after photos for example, your guests will have had some sustenance before you can get there.

The volume of food seems comparable to a sit-down meal too. If you do a heavy apps reception only, I suggest ensuring you communicate that in advance to your guests and that you arrange for plenty of seating so people can sit down or prop up at a high top table to rest if needed.

Some people love heavy apps and stations and will enjoy the novelty of unique options (say, a mashed potato station etc) while others will prefer a more traditional seated meal. Can't please everyone so use your best judgment given your audience. Keep us posted!
  • The ceremony starts at 7. I'm expecting maybe a 40 minute ceremony. We'll take a few group photos after (main photo session before) and then head to the reception. We are providing group transportation from the ceremony to the reception. That is how I came up with 8:30. My goal is maximum seating and I may suggest that guests eat a late lunch. With only 8:30-11:00 in the space, I don't want to rush to eat a full dinner, dance, mingle, speeches, cake, etc. It just doesn't seem like much time to me. I guess I didn't think it through when booking the ceremony.

• IMO I think your food plan is fine. It sounds like guests will have plenty to eat between heavy apps and stations. With your time in mind, it sounds like this is a better option than a sit down meal. Just make sure those apps and stations are foods that will leave your guests feeling full and satisfied.

How far is your reception from your ceremony? You may be giving yourself slightly more time than necessary, and you don't want your guests to be un hosted for any amount of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    I wouldn't expect a full meal at 8:30, especially if your invitations say "Cocktail reception to follow". I'd eat before heading to the ceremony and then be super happy and surprised when I saw all the heavy apps.

I wouldn't suggest guests eat a late lunch. That's sort of micro-manage-y and unnecessary. They're adults and will eat if they get hungry. :) If you put "Cocktail reception to follow" on your invitations, they'll know dinner won't be served and can plan accordingly. You could add some additional details about the reception to your wedding website, but I wouldn't put all of the details in the invitations.

I tend to eat dinner around 7:00, so I'd definitely grab something before your wedding regardless of the type of reception. If people are used to eating closer to 6:00, you can bet they'll eat beforehand, especially if they're from the east and their stomachs think it's closer to 9:00. ;)
  • The ceremony is at CP and the reception at Maggiano's. I've never been to Vegas so I'm not sure how close the two are. Yes, all of my guests are from the east coast, which made me think twice about the dinner option. From what I know, most of them eat dinner between 6-7:30. Great! I'll make sure to put a brief description on my website. At this point I think I'm pretty comfortable with the decision, but I can always change my mind as we get closer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards