Catholic Weddings

Charting Question

So I'm getting into TCOYF, and the book says you need to take your temp AS SOON AS you get up, even before you go to the bathroom.  This past week, I've been getting up and going to the bathroom right away and taking it literally while I'm peeing.  Should I not be doing this?  How much difference can 30 seconds make?

Re: Charting Question

• doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do it while I'm peeing too, because I wake up in the 5am-ish hour, so it's dark outside, and H would kill me if I turned on a light to read the thermometer (not to mentioned being annoyed at it beeping).  Seeing as this is my first month charting, I don't know how much of a difference it makes (well, and I'm reading fertile signs too).  I figure if things aren't making sense in a couple months, then I'll re-evaluate my temperature-taking habits.  I'm sure someone else has more insight :).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i think this is fine.  some people see no difference in temps between taking it right away and taking it during or after peeing.  i think as long as you are consistent with your method youll be ok.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the big deal is that once you start moving around, you do actually cause temperature shifts.  I don't think it's that bad as long as your routine doesn't change.  
    Anniversary

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ca9882af-f617-4950-9943-29e2598344cePost:6dee9fa9-7684-41bf-b44d-c3c9887c0ebf">Re: Charting Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think this is fine.  some people see no difference in temps between taking it right away and taking it during or after peeing.  i think as long as you are consistent with your method youll be ok.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I agree.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, all my temps have been low so far (between 97.7 and 98.2 - still in the first week of my cycle), so I'm hoping being out of bed for a whole 30 seconds isn't having much of an effect.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone's basal temp is a little different.  I range on the cooler side (mostly in the 97 range pre-O). 
  • StealthBrideStealthBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

(Lurker here)

I do see a difference in my temps when I get up first. I now set an alarm for 4:45 AM to temp, and then I go back to bed until 6AM.

• caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Moving around will probably make your temp higher than what it would've been otherwise, but I think the more important thing is that you do the same thing every day. Consistency is important because you're looking at your temps relative to each other, not so much the numbers themselves.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to take my temp while peeing in the morning, then I stopped doing that and started taking as soon as my alarm went off.  I didn't notice any difference to be honest.  All though, several people had advised against doing this because moving can cause it to spike.

Important thing is to be consistent.  And never switch mid-chart or you'll screw it all up.  If you take your temp while you're in the bathroom, and then want to switch to taking it in bed midcycle -- WAIT until your next cycle to switch methods.

My temps were always between 97.3-97.7.  Then post-O temps were 97.9-98.4

---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ca9882af-f617-4950-9943-29e2598344cePost:7003a8f9-8283-499b-b27a-e9f8053a6f68">Re: Charting Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, all my temps have been low so far (between 97.7 and 98.2 - still in the first week of my cycle), so I'm hoping being out of bed for a whole 30 seconds isn't having much of an effect.
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

I thought you were using Billings.  Have you switched to STM?  Just curious.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using TCOYF. We went to a Billings intro class, but that's all we took.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say take it before you move, right when you wake up.  That is what I have to do, but my temp is very finnicky.  Even opening my mouth for very long before I take it can make quite a difference.  But If your temp doesn't change that much with moving, etc. then I would say you're fine
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I notice a difference when I get up first.
    My thermometer that I bought will keep my temp until I clear it. There's one memory bank. I can take my temp and go back to sleep. Keep it right beside my bed so I don't have to turn the light on. DH doesn't even hear the beeping, and I figure if it wakes him up, whatever. I'm not charting just for myself haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards