Chit Chat

My assistant just quit.

With no notice. Just texted me at 8am (when she should have already been here) to say she was quitting and that the was sorry. I am nauseous. I am supposed to fly out Saturday for a trade show in San Francisco and now I will not be able to attend. But really, that's the least of my worries. 

Re: My assistant just quit.

• Ugh. I'm sorry. That's so shitty of her to not even give notice. Hopefully she's ok. 
  • Damn that sucks. Were you close to her? I agree with novella, I hope she/her family is okay. I hope finding a replacement comes easy!

imageimage

• Sorry. That's a shitty way to get that news. 

If cheesecake and BIL's gf stories come with the job, I'd be down. 
  • Damn that sucks. Were you close to her? I agree with novella, I hope she/her family is okay. I hope finding a replacement comes easy!
    I did consider us pretty close. She was here for almost a year, and we talked all the time about our personal lives. I'm in shock. She go no indication she was unhappy. 
  • Uuuugh you have to do the interview process again less than a year later? That totally blows, I'm sorry!

• That blows. Especially with the zero notice she gave you. Like other PPs, I hope she's okay but it doesn't make it better for you. Hopefully you can find someone new that is reliable and hard working!
    I did consider us pretty close. She was here for almost a year, and we talked all the time about our personal lives. I'm in shock. She go no indication she was unhappy. 
    Maybe it wasn't the job. Maybe it was something in her personal life. I was going through a hard time a few years ago and I liked my job a lot and loved the people I worked with, but one day the thought of getting up and going to work became so overwhelming to me (because of all the shit in my personal life) that I just up and quit with no notice and felt like an asshole for doing it. Don't stress yourself out thinking the job made her quit or she didn't like working with you or something (because who wouldn't like working with you?! You're awesome!) 

I hope the process of hiring a replacement goes smoothly! 
  • I am so sorry. That's really annoying and inconsiderate. I have employees do that to me a fair amount, generally because they underestimated how hard it would be to juggle their job with their classes (they're all college students), and they get so freaked out they just don't give notice. Sometimes they don't even come in. It sucks and I feel helpless. The only thing I can really do is think twice if they ask for a reference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yeah, it probably wasn't you that made her do that. However, that is pretty unprofessional and if you want to have professional contacts you don't do stuff like that. She probably just put a black mark on her future career. 

butttt I'm sure it was for a good reason. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I can't believe I've got to train someone all over again. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! 
  • That's awful. Sorry you have to go through the whole search and training ordeal again, but hopefully you can find someone who's an even better fit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ugh, how unprofessional! Hopefully everything in her personal life is okay, but that's annoying you have to re-interview, hire and train someone else!

Formerly martha1818

• sorry to threadjack for a quick min but @larrygaga I keep laughing at how the seatbelt just goes flying off hahahha. why even have it if it's not going to do anything?!

• That sucks! I think it must be something in her personal life. Why can't you go to the trade show? Can you borrow someone elses assitant to help with that? Training new people is a headache though (nevermind the whole hiring process) but hopefully it works out for the best.

• That is so shitty. I do hope everything in her personal life is okay. Pretty unproffessional, though. Way to burn bridges.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Going to the trade show would mean I'd be out of the office Monday through Wednesday. The owners are going too. The only other office staff left are the controller and her assistant. They're both loaded down with work. There'd be no one here to answer phones, enter orders, place purchase orders. It would be a disaster. Essentially customer service would be shut down for those days. There'd be no one to invoice orders either, or coordinate my drivers. 

I am a mess of emotions right now. 
  • That sucks and was super unprofessional.  Ugh.  It's only 7:30 here, but I'm sending you a virtual margarita. 

• hang in there. it sucks i know all the well (not with assistant but with co workers leaving without notice). training new people suck too. training the receptionist here is still taking place. she started in november.
  • Thanks everyone. On the totally selfish end of this, it also means no leaving for lunch, no cutting out early if I need to, no days off. Even after I hire someone, it's going to be a while before I can even feel comfortable taking a day and not being here. Ugh. 
  • Thanks everyone. On the totally selfish end of this, it also means no leaving for lunch, no cutting out early if I need to, no days off. Even after I hire someone, it's going to be a while before I can even feel comfortable taking a day and not being here. Ugh. 
    Deep breath! I know it really sucks but it's going to be ok. Maybe you'll end up hiring someone who-- after training and whatnot-- is so sharp and so on top of things that you feel even MORE comfortable than ever taking a day or leaving early and you'll be like "holy crap I'm so glad that other chick left!" 

Wine and hugs! 
    happened to me even with someone being hired. i have had to cover multiple shifts for this person. hang in there it will get better
  • Sorry. :(
    My manager just bitched me out for not calling out sick yesterday, when I was fine. I need to plan my pukes better.
  • That sucks! Last semester I always had to worry if volunteers would show up or not. I can't pay them so the main perk of volunteering is to put it on their resumes really. They showed up 80% of the time but it was still annoying. Before I got promoted I had to worry about coworkers showing up, if they didn't I would have to do most of their work. So I know the pain! Hopefully you find someone soon!
  • When do I start?!? ;)
    Get in line missy!! I've been waiting for this free cheesecake gig since she hired this chick! :yum:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'd be so annoyed.  I make it clear to anyone during the hiring process that I expect two years commitment.  If they leave (without extenuating circumstances) don't bother asking for a letter of recommendation for med school or a reference. I hate hiring and training!  So far it works really well because people know that is the commitment upfront…plus most are planning to go to med school later and want the later of rec!

Good luck with hiring!
  • Oh man, I'm sorry.  I manage a team of 8, and it is not pretty at times- who is calling out, who is sick, who needs to leave early, who just gave notice, etc.  I feel you.  But hey- it's now noon, which is a TOTALLY appropriate drinking-time :)  Liquid lunch, perhaps??  

Sending hugs!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards