DIY Wedding Forum

Too tacky for a wedding?

Because both of our families are large, and we plan to have a dance floor and people moving around, I was thinking of having wine glasses with the bases dipped in chalkboard paint (Glass for the adults, plastic for the kids), where you can write your name on the bottom in liquid chalk so that when you inevitably set the glass down, you don't lose it or mix it up with someone else's, and at the end of the night you can take the glass with you as a wedding favor. Is that tacky? 

I was also considering writing the names of the guests on there myself, but I don't want to set out a glass with someone's name on it and, for whatever reason, they can't show up and their glass draws attention to it, nor do I want people putting their hands on other people's glasses to get to theirs.

The glasses would look something like this

Re: Too tacky for a wedding?

• I think it's a cute idea, but a)if I'm a single guest, I'll have no use for one wine glass with chalkboard paint on it, and b) the chalk will likely rub off pretty easily, and possibly on someone's nice party clothes. I think it's best to allow people to get new glasses. The idea of keeping one glass throughout the night isn't very hygienic.
  • I love the idea, but not during the wedding.  Perhaps during cocktails, or at the last 1/2 hour, your dj could announce a diy project followed by the last dance.  You can set up a large table and they could paint it and take it home.  However, I agree that keeping one glass per person to drink out of that glass and that glass only is not realistic.  perhaps provide regular plastic glasses for all the guests if you don't have a separate water goblet, wine glass, champagne glass.  
  • I love the idea, but not during the wedding.  Perhaps during cocktails, or at the last 1/2 hour, your dj could announce a diy project followed by the last dance.  You can set up a large table and they could paint it and take it home.  However, I agree that keeping one glass per person to drink out of that glass and that glass only is not realistic.  perhaps provide regular plastic glasses for all the guests if you don't have a separate water goblet, wine glass, champagne glass.  
    I like the idea of having it as an actual project done during the reception, but I'm concerned about the paint getting on guests' nice clothing, and drying time. Maybe I could start it before we open up the floor for dancing, so that by the end of the evening they're dry enough to take home?
  • Cute idea, but not realistic.  Not everyone drinks wine.  Some people switch drinks through out the night.    Even if I did drink wine all night I would not want to be "responsible" to have to keep the same glass all night.

It's one of those things that sounds good on paper, but does not execute well for a large party that lasts 4 or so hours.

Dinner party, a cook out, shower, b-parties at home I think it would well.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • This looks cute but I don't think it would work in execution.  I like to switch up what I'm drinking throughout the night, and I might not be drinking wine, so using the same wine glass all night just isn't realistic.  You don't want your guests worrying about washing out their old drink before refilling the glass.  Then they will have to bring home the dirty glass, which isn't great either.

You could do this just as a favor (maybe make it a set of two?), but I probably wouldn't try this as the actual drinking glass throughout the night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

I like the idea of having it as an actual project done during the reception, but I'm concerned about the paint getting on guests' nice clothing, and drying time. Maybe I could start it before we open up the floor for dancing, so that by the end of the evening they're dry enough to take home?
    This is a fun idea for a bridal shower. It will prove a nightmare for your wedding reception, and just doesn't fit time-wise.
  • the timeline doesnt fit to do the DIY there, and they are kinda tricky. I made a set for my sis for christmas a few years back and not all of them came out well, and they took forever to dry. 

There are other options..there are super cute chalkboard paint stickers that don't look bad at all, or you could use etching paint for their initials, or etc. 

I personally like the chalkboard paint idea - either on the bottom of the wine glasses or in a rectangle or strip around a mason jar or something like that (and plenty of chalk!!) So, if someone wants to switch up their drink or move from wine to something else, they could. 
    (or, maybe even koozies with their name?!) 

• Also, how will people take them home? Will they have to carry dirty wine glasses to their car?
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    If I put my glass down and walk away, I'm not going to come back and drink from it again.

That's like, drinking safety 101.
  • I think they are cute and your idea is a good one, but I don't think it would work well unless you plan on having bottles of wine & pitchers of water/soda at each table for guests to be able to refill their own drinks & then a rinse station should they decide to change what they are drinking.
  • I had 145 guests. When I talked to the venue about renting glasses (I didn't love theirs) they told me that I would need to rent at least 500, unless they were able wash them between rounds.

If count on saving this idea for favors and saving fresh glasses for use.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Unlike other ladies on here, I actually use random wine glasses and I would like this as a favor. I would not want to paint this myself at your wedding reception though and I definitely wouldn't want to drink out of the same glass all night long. If you want to use this as a favor I think that would be great, but don't make people use them at your wedding.
  • I was actually planning on doing this myself at my wedding... but after reading all the negative comments I've been thoroughly talked out of it! haha
  • I think they're cute, but agree with PPs that it's a cute idea in theory but not in practice. 

Also, at most of the weddings I've been to at "typical" wedding venues (hotels, banquet halls), I get a new glass with each new drink. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards