Chit Chat

wedding stuff

Sorry I don't know what to call this thread, and I wasn't about to start 2 different ones.

1. We just booked our wedding night hotel and I am SO excited for it. We're staying in the biggest suite at the NYLO near the venue and we booked it for under $275 (!!!!) and it includes some extras because they were doing some promotional B&B package. But then this morning I started thinking, is it weird that we aren't staying at the same hotel as our guests (hotel block)? We're about 5 minutes away from the venue and hotel, but I just don't know if that's something people would side eye or not. I personally wouldn't give a shit, but I don't want it to come off as "we're too good to stay at The Marriott."

2. Was there anything you OMHs forgot to do/make/bring for your wedding? The other thread about wedding dreams got me thinking about this. I had 2 different dreams about forgetting to book a MUA and so I took it as a sign from the wedding gods and got it out of the way yesterday. I keep thinking of things here and there where I'm like "Oh and don't forget (insert unimportant thing here)!" so I'm trying to get it all on paper this week.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: wedding stuff

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    1) No it is not weird.  And unless you announce to everyone that you are staying at X instead of Y then who will really know or care where you are staying?

2) I really can't remember if I forgot anything.  If I did then it must have been unimportant since I am pretty sure I would remember forgetting something important like booking my hair or MUA or other things like that.

The best way to combat forgetting things is to sit down and make a list.  Then come back to that list the next day, review it and then add anything that you may have forgotten when you first made it.  Check things off as you go.  Also, sort your list from most important to least important and get things done in that order.  If you don't have time to add bows to your favors, oh well.  Those little details are okay to skip.

ETA:  I just remembered.  I did forget something kind of huge.  Our marriage license. But luckily we got married by our friend and he just signed it after we got back from our HM.  But if you are getting married by a hired officiant or priest or what have you, then don't forget your license.

• @Maggie0829‌ yeah we're not gonna make a big deal about staying somewhere else, but there will probably be an after party and I don't really know how that's gonna work yet. Our hotel will probably be the more fun place to go and continue drinking.. But that would leave everyone else having to find sober drivers.

And luckily my Fi has been on top of the marriage license stuff, which is good because I've done zero research for it.

----

fka dallasbetch 

• @Maggie0829‌ yeah we're not gonna make a big deal about staying somewhere else, but there will probably be an after party and I don't really know how that's gonna work yet. Our hotel will probably be the more fun place to go and continue drinking.. But that would leave everyone else having to find sober drivers. And luckily my Fi has been on top of the marriage license stuff, which is good because I've done zero research for it.
    Eh, you said where you are staying is 5 minutes from the venue so anyone who comes to the after party and is staying at the hotel will just stumble on back.  And anyone not staying will have figured out the DD situation beforehand for the reception.  So I wouldn't worry too much about this.

• Nah, stay wherever. I doubt anyone will notice/care. 

I don't really remember specific things, but I kept a running list on my phone's notepad thing about stuff I might want to have. I started the list months beforehand and then a week before the wedding went out and got things.
    *********************************************************************************

• sarahuflsarahufl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    I don't think I forgot anything that day.

What I did forget, and it can't be changed, was to REALLY put together a good list of photos I wanted from my photographer. She asked for it, and I basically just checked things off and sent it back.

But the day of- it was hot and there was a lot of thunder. It never did rain, but it kept acting like it was going to. My family is 10 total, with 3 under the age of 2. H's family is 17 total, with 6 kids ranging from 3-9. So photography was super chaotic. And we got the bare minimum of group shots that we asked for, but there were some missing that I now REALLY want. Like, there is one of me and my dad, one of me and my mom- but none of me, my mom AND my dad. There are bridesmaids group shots, but they are stiff and kind of uncreative. One of me and my MOH, but none of me with each individual BM.

Overall, I liked the photos- she got some amazing ones- but there are shots we didn't get that I wish she had. And I feel like if I had taken more time to really think out the shot list, I would've added more.

And like I said- you can't re-do it.
  • 1. I don't think it's rude.

2. Print a list! I printed a planning checklist (from google) right when I got engaged and it was amazing. It listed all the things to do/book at 12 months out, 6 months out, 4 months out, etc. There was a lot I wouldn't think of then I'd scan the list and be like oh shit, we need rings.

• jenna8984 said:

1. I don't think it's rude.

2. Print a list! I printed a planning checklist (from google) right when I got engaged and it was amazing. It listed all the things to do/book at 12 months out, 6 months out, 4 months out, etc. There was a lot I wouldn't think of then I'd scan the list and be like oh shit, we need rings.

I'd been looking at TK checklist from time to time but I found myself deleting and moving a lot of stuff around so I may look for another one online.  I'm just not sure that chronological order is going to be the best way to look at it. Don't ask me why, it doesn't make sense. I might just make lists for all the different aspects like WP, Photography, Reception details, etc.

----

fka dallasbetch 

• 1. I don't think that's weird 

2. I didn't forget anything, but I made very detailed lists. I will say, the TK checklist ap really helped. 
  • @sarahufl a while back I was thinking that a list of must-have pics wasn't that important, but then I read the thread where the bride didn't provide a list and the photog skipped her H's family pics. I don't want to have to deal with the potential fallout from upset family (and my own regret) so I'll definitely try to get a list together. 

----

fka dallasbetch 

• edited January 2015
    I forgot my WedFlik cameras. Sister's BF brought them for us but we missed a lot. Whoops.

There are definitely more pictures I wish we'd gotten, but we filled the whole hour we had available. We did bridesmaid and groomsman shots before, so I do have nice ones with each of them. Wasted a lot of time trying to wrangle all the family members we needed because even though we told them we needed them for pictures, they were drawn by the gravitational pull of the cocktail hour bar. 

We stayed at the hotel with the block, but mostly because we wanted to have breakfast with our families the next morning. I wouldn't think it was weird... in "olden times" (hehe) you'd run off to your honeymoon the same day, so I don't see anything wrong with staying at a different place. It's none of anyone's business where you stay. What if you wanted to go home?

• We stayed at a house on the lake, some guests stayed at a B&B down the road, and others at motels in town. Didn't matter in the least where everyone was staying as those that wanted to hang out after the reception did so regardless.

And while we didn't forget the portable speakers for the ceremony music, we did forget to charge them so no music for us. Also forgot (more like didn't think it would be necessary) to make an appointment to get our nails done and learned the day before that everything was booked for the week so no pretty nails for us. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I forgot to bring the champagne glasses we had gotten at our shower that my aunt wanted me to use at the wedding. This ended up being a good thing because I was already on the fence about bringing them with the worry they would get broken or lost.
    I forgot to buy more chalk pens and a glue gun. I forgot signage for the wedding space (it was hard to find the place). I forgot balloons. My awesome friend went and bought all that from Walmart the night before the wedding.
  • It's not weird to stay at a different hotel. 

On the topic of forgotten things: The day of my wedding, I woke up, showered, and headed to the venue to get ready. I totally forgot to brush my teeth. 

Fortunately, H & a GM were stopping at the house anyway, so they brought me my beloved toothbrush & toothpaste. 

I also forgot floral pins for the BM bouquets, which I made that day as we got ready. MIL came to the rescue and brought them with her to the venue. 
  • Staying elsewhere isn't weird.  I know people that have done that intentionally because they really don't want to be in a room next to people they know on their wedding night.  I mean, do you really want Uncle Joe hearing what's happening in there?  And my family is the type that would try to gain access and decorate/trash the room with condoms, lubes, and sex toys... so keeping the room location separate and secret is probably a good idea.  Luckily, for my wedding, we did a destination wedding so the "room crashers" didn't attend and we made sure all our guests were nowhere near our room.  For my sister, her door got decorated, but we did good job at keeping everyone out of the room.

• Oh yeah we totally forgot about pins for the corsages and boutonnieres until the morning of. My BM was about to send her H to the store to buy some but the florist gave us extra. (we got corsages from her, but I made my own bouts.)

• We stayed at a different hotel (resort) than our hotel block for the night before and wedding night. We used the suite as the girls "getting ready" room before going to the venue as well.

H and I went to the "hotel block" hotel the next morning for brunch and then we stayed at that hotel for the last night. 

Anniversary
  • We also stayed in a different hotel, cos our wedding hotel was stupid expensive.  I don't think anyone stayed there actually.  We were next door.  

I forgot the bouquets in my parents condo's fridge.  MOH ran back to grab the, about 2 blocks at least, but stupid me.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards