Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Dancing & DJ/MC Dilemma

A little background about the wedding: The Big Day will be this July out in Estes Park, Colorado. It's a destination wedding, so the guest list is on the smaller side (~55) and nearly everyone will be from out-of-state. We have a beautiful venue to hold both the ceremony and reception. Follwing an outdoor cocktail hour from about 2:00 through 2:45 (while fiance and I do photos), we'll likely have a 3-4 hour reception indoors. This will include a plated meal.

I definitely understand and recognize the need to have someone who knows what they're doing to move the reception along and keep things running smoothly in the background. This is where the DJ/MC thing comes in: I've been speaking to a couple DJs (both highly recommended by my venue) and several things have hit me 1) how expenseive they are, and 2) the dancing aspect of things. I hate dancing. And I hate dance parties. I didn't even go to my high school homecomings or proms. Neither my fiance nor I want to do a first dance. I won't be doing the father/daughter dance (which my dad is eternally grateful for). However, both DJs separately told me that they've never done a wedding without at least a first dance--and they've been in business since the late 80s and have done about 1600 weddings each. 

I am very confused about what to do here. I recognize the need to have a dancing outlet (friends of mine will want to), but I don't want the afternoon to be about the dancing. I also don't want to spend the whole time being pressured into dancing. 

And with all this in mind, I find it harder to justify the $1000 price tag on all these DJs/MCs when I'm not asking them to facilitate a dance--and that's the average going rate for the area. If I didn't have one though, I wouldn't know what to do for the reception. People have traveled/spent money to come to this--it should be a properly organized event. 

I'm desperate for advice and beginning to feel overwhelmed. Cue the "we should have eloped" lamentations. 

Re: Dancing & DJ/MC Dilemma

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    We hate dancing, too. That's one of the reasons we opted for a morning ceremony and lunch reception. We didn't care if other people danced, but we didn't want anyone pestering us to do so, and with a string trio at lunchtime, it just lessened the expectation of dancing. Since yours is a DW, you're right; it should be a bigger affair. Could you just do the "middle school sway" for a first dance just to kick things off?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Are you having a wedding party? If so, dance a little slow dance for a 1 minute and have the rest of the wedding party on the dance flloor to the take the pressure off

keep in mind, not having a DJ or band tends to shorten the length of your reception and your guests are flying across the country, so you do want them to feel like they didn't waste their time flying in for the wedding by having a 2 hour reception without any kinda dancing.

I remember a post on here from a girl who didn't do a first dance with her dad. She later regretted it because she realized he missed it and she could never go back and make it up to him. He didn't speak up as not to offend her, but she later realized she "screwed up"...Just really think that one through. Dad's tend to dream about that moment, even though they might not say it...

You can just make yourself mingle all night and not ever end up there.

Receptions are for your guests (esp ones who spent hundreds of dollars to fly to you), if you think the majority of them will want that "party dj" atmosphere, it is definitely something to consider when deciding

• Options
    Could you do a friend DJ and an iPod?
  • Options
    As Addie mentioned, we did the middle school sway for about a minute, then all the couples (not just wedding party) joined us on the dance floor.  We are generally very reserved and don't dance much, however this was definitely not a big deal.  I feel we were so in the moment that we didn't realize people were watching us.  No regrets.

With that said, you don't have to have a first dance/parent dance.  I'm sure your DJ could easily open the dance floor without it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards