Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Unity Candle Taper Lighting Ideas

My fiancé and I are going to do the unity candle for our ceremony. I had plans to have each set of parent's walk down the aisle and light one of the tapers. However, my fiancé's family has firmly decided that they do not approve of our marriage. They will attend the ceremony but they want nothing to do with the wedding activities. So are there any ideas on alternatives to the lighting of the tapers?

Re: Unity Candle Taper Lighting Ideas

• yeshua68 said:
    My fiancé and I are going to do the unity candle for our ceremony. I had plans to have each set of parent's walk down the aisle and light one of the tapers. However, my fiancé's family has firmly decided that they do not approve of our marriage. They will attend the ceremony but they want nothing to do with the wedding activities. So are there any ideas on alternatives to the lighting of the tapers?
    If your FI's family does not approve of your marriage, I would not find any alternative activity for which they can participate.  If you want your parents to participate in something, there are plenty of alternatives.  Both your mom and dad can walk you up the aisle.  Your parents can read a passage.  Are you having a religious ceremony?  In a Catholic Mass, moms will often join their daughters when they say a prayer to the BVM.  Your folks could bring the gifts up to the altar.  Perhaps your folks could carry unlit tapers to the altar.  You and your FI could then each light one, and then use those to light your "unifying" candle. 
  • That's very sad.  You could both just like your candles from separate candles and then light your one unity candle together.
  • Grandparents?  Siblings?  Or just have them lit before the ceremony by anyone.
  • I like the idea of you & fi lighting the tapers yourself, because then instead of joining two families as one, you are just combining your two lives into one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards