Chit Chat

Well this is annoying. WWTKD?

We had an issue with the hotel where our room block was supposed to be (they closed and didn't tell us). The wedding is in a small town and there aren't tons of hotels around. It's also the local college's graduation weekend so some of the hotels are already booked solid, and others have refused to do a block for me because of the busy weekend. 

100% of our guests are out of town, as well as the entire wedding party and our families and us. I think we finally managed to block a decent amount of rooms (25, and one hotel has told me that I can add more to the block if I need to, assuming they're not already sold out, and we're expecting around 120 guests. Ugh!) But we also started looking into booking out some beach houses. FI's family already rented one for the weekend. I figured if my family rented one and some of their relatives and friends stayed with them (cuz the house they're looking at has like 7 bedrooms and sleeps 18 ppl or something like that so they thought it would be fun to invite more people to stay), and the WP rented one for them and their SOs (they were excited about this because it's actually cheaper than a hotel if they split the cost so they're looking into it) and then FI and I rent one, we'll be covered. 

The VIPs will be guaranteed a place to stay, and the room blocks will be left entirely for the guests. 

There's a limited number of beach houses to rent too, though, and some of them are already booked. So I want to book ours NOW. I found the one that we want, and it's pretty much the only one in our budget (actually a little over budget but at this point what the fuck ever) so I contacted the owner. He e-mailed me back and told me to call his office to give them my CC number to reserve the house. 

I called on Monday and got an answering machine so I left a message. Didn't hear back from them on Tuesday. So I called Wednesday in the late afternoon (first I had called around lunch time) in case that was a better time to reach someone. No answer. I called again this morning in case morning is a better time. No answer, in fact this time it just beeped instead of ringing. The answer message gives the owner's cell number. So I tried his cell number. It sounded like he answered but had a terrible connection so then the call dropped. I waited a little while and then tried again. Got his voicemail. So I left a message saying I haven't been able to reach anyone in his office and I still want to book the house. Granted, that was only a half hour ago, but because of all of the above information I'm getting really stressed about this. 

I have a tendency to be really impatient. Especially when I get a sense of urgency (like this NEEDS to happen ASAP or we could end up with no place to stay! AH!) But I also don't want to harass this guy. Should I try e-mailing him and letting him know I can't reach anyone? Should I just wait a few days? Should I try to find a different house and just give up on this dude? This kind of sucks.  

Re: Well this is annoying. WWTKD?

• With college graduation weekend and all the hotels booked up, there is probably a lot of competition for those beach houses. I'd give him till the middle of the afternoon and if you can't reach him, book your second choice house.

• Go ahead and harass him. You're trying to throw money at him! I'd leave a voicemail saying you're ready to book and have your CC ready if he could please return your call by 5pm today. Then email him and say "I left you a voicemail as well in case this didn't reach you, but (same message as VM."

• I'd email him with the above. He already responded to that. Maybe just include "I'm sorry if I seem too impatient, but with the graduation...etc etc etc". I don't know, that kind of thing always makes me feel like less of a nag.

You're good with not waiting, though. You're right. Get a place to stay!!!! (but don't forget to breathe :) )
  • If it's this hard to book the beach house with this guy/company, I can only imagine how responsive they'd be if something happened where you needed to reach someone and they already had your money. I'd say set a deadline like PP suggested and if they don't respond, move onto the next.

But I can totally relate to your sense of urgency. When I decide something is important, I am SO impatient waiting for responses. My makeup artist was answering emails every like 36 hours and it was making me so crazy. I'm pretty high strung I guess. I need a Xanax when it comes to this stuff.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• If it's this hard to book the beach house with this guy/company, I can only imagine how responsive they'd be if something happened where you needed to reach someone and they already had your money. I'd say set a deadline like PP suggested and if they don't respond, move onto the next. But I can totally relate to your sense of urgency. When I decide something is important, I am SO impatient waiting for responses. My makeup artist was answering emails every like 36 hours and it was making me so crazy. I'm pretty high strung I guess. I need a Xanax when it comes to this stuff.
    I wouldn't necessarily be that concerned with this... for all we know, he's busy taking care of something for someone who's staying at the house NOW.

It was always so easy for me to get antsy and impatient when the event coordinator at our wedding venue didn't get back to me right away until I realized "hey asshole, someone else is actually getting married TODAY, while you're worried about appetizers in a MONTH." And sure enough, he was BEYOND helpful, attentive, and on top of EVERYTHING when I actually needed him.

• Go ahead and harass him. You're trying to throw money at him! I'd leave a voicemail saying you're ready to book and have your CC ready if he could please return your call by 5pm today. Then email him and say "I left you a voicemail as well in case this didn't reach you, but (same message as VM."
    I pretty much said this to him in the e-mail, with the "by 5pm today" thing. In the meantime I sent inquiries to a couple other rental owners just to keep my options open. It sucks cuz that house was perfect and it had a view of the lake. The others aren't as cute and don't have the view, and some of them cost more. I need a nap. So bad. 
  • Yup. I'd stalk and call the crap out of him. But I'm an impatient as you, when I get something in my head I want it done NOW.

• jenna8984 said:
    Yup. I'd stalk and call the crap out of him. But I'm an impatient as you, when I get something in my head I want it done NOW.
    Yeah and when I don't hear back from them, then I'm thinking "Did they accidentally delete my message before they wrote the number down? Have they not even checked the messages? Are people in this office on a daily basis? Did he rent the house to someone else already and just doesn't feel like telling me?" Bah! 
  •  It sounded like he answered but had a terrible connection so then the call dropped. I waited a little while and then tried again. Got his voicemail. So I left a message saying I haven't been able to reach anyone in his office and I still want to book the house. Granted, that was only a half hour ago, but because of all of the above information I'm getting really stressed about this.

This happened today, right? It's possible his cell phone battery died and he's recharging it. He could be out of town on vacation in some remote area. Don't assume he's getting your messages. But still, I wouldn't let too much time pass before I book something.

• wait until mid afternoon try again and if he does not answer move on to the next place. sucks for him.
  • I've read a bunch of your posts about impatience dealing with vendors. Individually I often agree with you but collectively it seems like you may need to recalibrate your expectations. This really doesn't seem that unreasonable from him to me, but if it doesn't work for you move on to the next house. I'd wait a few days myself but no reason you have to. I just think you're getting overly worked up over these pretty minor things.
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I've read a bunch of your posts about impatience dealing with vendors. Individually I often agree with you but collectively it seems like you may need to recalibrate your expectations. This really doesn't seem that unreasonable from him to me, but if it doesn't work for you move on to the next house. I'd wait a few days myself but no reason you have to. I just think you're getting overly worked up over these pretty minor things.
    lol that's why I ask you guys. I know I have a big problem with being impatient/worried/anxious about getting things done. 

Normally, though, I would feel like it's fine to wait through next week. I've waited a few weeks for other vendors to get back to me and didn't think much of it because there was plenty of time and no chance for them to get booked up. 

But yeah, I am getting overly worked up in this case. I'm really stressed about everyone having a place to stay, including myself, and it's getting to me. I need to figure out how to just relax! :/ 
  • novella1186 said:
    I've read a bunch of your posts about impatience dealing with vendors. Individually I often agree with you but collectively it seems like you may need to recalibrate your expectations. This really doesn't seem that unreasonable from him to me, but if it doesn't work for you move on to the next house. I'd wait a few days myself but no reason you have to. I just think you're getting overly worked up over these pretty minor things.
    lol that's why I ask you guys. I know I have a big problem with being impatient/worried/anxious about getting things done. 

Normally, though, I would feel like it's fine to wait through next week. I've waited a few weeks for other vendors to get back to me and didn't think much of it because there was plenty of time and no chance for them to get booked up. 

But yeah, I am getting overly worked up in this case. I'm really stressed about everyone having a place to stay, including myself, and it's getting to me. I need to figure out how to just relax! :/ 

@novella1186 I feel like your siggy is perfect for this situation. lol.

• fwtx5815fwtx5815 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015

If it's this hard to book the beach house with this guy/company, I can only imagine how responsive they'd be if something happened where you needed to reach someone and they already had your money. I'd say set a deadline like PP suggested and if they don't respond, move onto the next.

But I can totally relate to your sense of urgency. When I decide something is important, I am SO impatient waiting for responses. My makeup artist was answering emails every like 36 hours and it was making me so crazy. I'm pretty high strung I guess. I need a Xanax when it comes to this stuff.

I wouldn't necessarily be that concerned with this... for all we know, he's busy taking care of something for someone who's staying at the house NOW.

It was always so easy for me to get antsy and impatient when the event coordinator at our wedding venue didn't get back to me right away until I realized "hey asshole, someone else is actually getting married TODAY, while you're worried about appetizers in a MONTH." And sure enough, he was BEYOND helpful, attentive, and on top of EVERYTHING when I actually needed him.

-------------------------------------
    Nobody can find a minute to take down a credit card number and check the calendar? And novella's been trying to book since Monday? Yeah, no. I'd be concerned.

etf boxes/add words

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• levioosa said:
    novella1186 said:

@novella1186 I feel like your siggy is perfect for this situation. lol.
    FI saw it when I was on TK at home, and he said it was perfect for me lol. I'm always high-strung and I'm always like "I need a damn cocktail now!" 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards