Vow Renewals

Vow Renewal - without our own kids?

stepbystepstepbystep member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited January 2015 in Vow Renewals
My husband and I will be celebrating 10 wonderful years together. Our original wedding was big and over the top, a 300 people southern country club affair. It lacked all the intimacy that we really wanted, it was everything our dear mothers invisioned. Fast forward 10 years later and we are now planning a vow renewal in Las Vegas in November 2015. I wanted someplace where they would just take care of everything and all we had to do was show up. Las Vegas had everything and it's a place we love to visit. So since deciding on Vegas, we have decided to invite a few friends along for the trip, 7 couples to be exact. Before, when it was just the 2 of us, we didn't think about bringing our kids, age 2 and 5 along. Now however, I'm feeling weird about celebrating our union with friends and not having our sweet daughters to witness it. The issue lies in, if we bring our kids, then our friends will want to bring theirs too, which means we will probably be bringing a babysitter along for the trip to watch 3-5 kids while we party. Am I wrong to want to leave my own children at home when I'm celebrating the love in which they were made? Also is it wrong to bring my own kids and make the other parents leave theirs at home? I don't know if this is mommy guilt, bridezilla selfishness, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Help???

Re: Vow Renewal - without our own kids?

• I don't think you are wrong. We did a vow renewal in Vegas without our kids. Here is the "consolation"... we are also having a nice anniversary dinner party with our family in our hometown (the renewal was just the two of us) which will include our kids. For them, dressing up and being a part of a fun dinner party to celebrate with us is exciting and enough. They weren't bothered about missing the renewal and truthfully, they didn't really "get" the significance of a renewal vs a wedding.

Also, the experience of our renewal was so amazing that we've already decided to do a 20 year renewal as well and we will include our children in that. I think it will actually be more meaningful to them when they are older. They don't know about it yet since it's 10 years away. lol

I say stick with your plans. GL and congrats!

• Thanks for the response, I hadn't thought about the future. I am so wrapped up in mommy world that pretty much everything revolves around my kids.  I know they won't get the significance of a renewal either and our issue is that if we bring their babysitter, I was going to feel guilty for having her in vegas and not really get to enjoy the city. This has provided me with a great perspective.
  • I dont think you are wrong at all.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards