Not Engaged Yet

Thursday!

2»

Re: Thursday!

• @Swazzle - Well, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't know about that awesome dress!

Thanks @LaBro, @GoldenPenguin!! I'll be sure to post pics as long as I look alright lol

@LaBro - Congrats on kicking debt's ass! 

@GoldenPenguin - Don't feel bad, H is in the same boat. I could cry thinking about it. I'm pretty sure he'll end up getting loan forgiveness after 30 years. 

@AlPacina - I'm glad the procedure went well! Did you get put under for it? Or were you awake? When I had my LEEP (wow, over 10 years ago!) I was put under. I agree the colposcopy was worse than the LEEP for me. I also don't remember the whole "no exercise" rule. Just the "no sex" rule. haha 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm back to work today. I made sure to leave super early- around 6:30am- so I could make it for 7:30. I had a phone conference scheduled this morning, but ya know of course the parent did not answer! So annoying. Thankfully, the weekend is near. I must have gotten a sinus infection from my cabin fever, I am so stuffed up! 

After school I'm going to the dress shop with FSIL and FMIL. Looks like FMIL is going to pay for FSIL's dress because FSIL didn't save up for the dress like she said she would. I feel bad, I offered to pay for half but FI's mom is insisting that she will pay for it. 

@labro Yay for getting rid of debt! It's a great feeling.
    @goldenpenguin I totally hear ya on the student loans- I don't know when I will ever pay them off completely. I am currently paying off 3 degrees and I don't know if I will ever not have income based payments. Teacher pay is not super high. It's a shitty feeling.
  • @500days - yea, working in higher ed isn't pulling in bank either, haha. I only have ONE degree, but because SOMEONEEEE had to go to a fancy private school, I'll still be paying it off forever.

@LaBro - I don't know if I'll ever qualify for debt forgiveness because of my history. I had to do deferment & forbearance when I was an intern (for three years), and then I've had income based payment for years, because I just don't make that much. I don't know if it will change after we get married or not, I guess I'll have to see.

*******************************************************************************************

• @goldenpenguin I wish I never went to a private school too! I did state for my undergrad degrees but then I did my grad degree at a private school. Added about 45k to my balance. I feel so fucked, but at least you give me hope that one day I could buy a house with the future mr. 500 days!
  • Morning, all!

FI and I picked up address labels last night for the invitation envelopes (if you'd ever seen my handwriting, you'd understand - I could have been a doctor if it weren't for that pesky blood thing), 12 poster frames (and only one broke so we couldn't use it, thanks so much Michaels), and more gasket-sealing totes for stuff to go to the basement. I finished knitting my mom's scarf and we matted 11 posters to hang. Hey, in frames, they're "art."

Today I'm reading EPA regulations for class because my life wasn't boring enough yet. Tonight is for laundry and knitting. Back to the baby blanket parade ...

Oh, FSSIL had a baby yesterday or the day before! Her blanket hits the mail tonight.
  • @GoldenPenguin That is such a bummer. :( I don't know what all goes in to debt forgiveness other than I know that usually after so many years (a lot of years) lenders will forgive student loans but I don't know what the other qualifications are. Maybe it will be something to look in to eventually. I've been able to make a big dent lately because H and I are living off his paycheck and banking mine so we can use it to payoff our debt and save more money.

• Swazzle said:
    I also wanted to add re: the gym.... there have been SO many posts on FB about how annoying it is that people come to the gym in January by people that have been going prior to now. It's really discouraging. 
    This always pisses me off and it's a part of what is wrong with gyms. People bitch about new people coming and shame/judge overweight people who are obviously trying because they are at the fucking gym! The gym is for people to come and be healthy. The atmosphere should be welcoming and supportive, not exclusive.
    Yes! I think those gym rats should have a separate gym for their elitist attitudes. Everyone should be able to work out at the gym free of judgment.

• @Swazzle @eilis1228 and @bethsmiles - I completely agree re the gym.  I actually had a runner yell at me yesterday coming out of cycle class (we have an indoor track you have to cross to get in and out of cycle class).  He was running on the track and I looked before I crossed but I couldn't see him because of the people lined up for the next class.  I stopped crossing before we hit and said sorry. Instead of taking it graciously (and realizing a class was letting out and a crowd forming so he should probably slow down), he looked me up and down and loudly said "YOU people really need to watch where you are going" like cycle was some kind of fat club? I don't know...maybe I took it too personally but he *almost* destroyed my post-exercise high. Nothing against runners (I'd run if astma allowed) but I've heard runners complain about walkers/joggers taking up machines too and joking about it not being "real" exercise.  I hate that people can't just be friendly and supportive.  The classes I take are full of supportive, smiling faces, which I love.  :)
  • @Ollie08 - No, I wasn't put under for it, thank goodness. But I felt her poke me with the needle 3 or 4 times to numb it..... I was afraid she wasn't going to be able to do it though because as soon as I got the shots my feet started shaking in the stirrups! I get extremely shaky when I'm nervous. And then the fact that I was shaking got me even more nervous/stressed. It was kind of a shit show for the first 5 minutes, haha. But I managed to calm down.

It's good to hear from a couple of you that you didn't hear the no exercise rule. I guess I can be less nervous to go for my brisk walks, but I'll still give it a week or so until I start running. Better safe than sorry.

• edited January 2015

Today is the 1-year anniversary of FIL's passing. I left a card for H this morning letting him know I love him and am here for whatever he needs today. I haven't heard a peep all day, so i'm guessing he's having a tough time. I'm hoping he's ok. His mom took a trip back to SD to see family, so i'm glad she's taking care of herself too. I just can't believe it's been a year already.

I recently found out both of my pregnant girlfriends are having boys! One is a month ahead of us and the other is about 5 weeks behind us. I'm so excited for them. Now i'm super curious if we're going to make boy #3 or be the only girl! Will be fun to find out in a couple months.

Work is feeling a little overwhelming recently. I'm hoping I can get everything smoothed out soon. I've never been so excited to have a couple months off. Will be nice to just be home and not worry about work for a while. I miss being a school kid with summer breaks!

• @minskat30 I guarantee you that runner would have struggled in your cycle class. I did a spin/cycle class weekly and then did a HIIT class too, and when the HIIT people (who thought they were the bee's knees at the gym) would try the cycle class, they'd have to leave halfway through because it was too intense. It's always bothered me how some gym rats think they're superior to others just starting out. Everyone is there with the same goal in mind-- to be healthy! And everyone has to start somewhere too, so I don't understand why they aren't more supportive of beginners or people who prefer to do different types of workouts. The only people I judge at the gym are the ones who chat on their cell phones while they're on the cardio machines. 

@LaBro Email is still down :) It's so quiet!

Re: student loans... oi vey, don't even get me started. FI has an aggressive plan to pay mine off in the first two years of our marriage, but we'll see if that happens. It's just daunting how much money I owe for two degrees that truthfully do not pay for themselves. 

• @goldenpenguin & @500days -- I'm in the same boat.  Dumb 17 year old me also just had to go to a fancy private school.  I tried consolidating my loans and they told me that I couldn't because my debt is greater than my income (uh yeah I know that's why I need to consolidate).  The only other suggestion I received was to get work in the public sector because then debt is forgiven after a certain percent is paid off; since both of you teach I think you should qualify. 
    Ollie08 said:
    Swazzle said:
    I also wanted to add re: the gym.... there have been SO many posts on FB about how annoying it is that people come to the gym in January by people that have been going prior to now. It's really discouraging. 
    This always pisses me off and it's a part of what is wrong with gyms. People bitch about new people coming and shame/judge overweight people who are obviously trying because they are at the fucking gym! The gym is for people to come and be healthy. The atmosphere should be welcoming and supportive, not exclusive.
    Yes! I think those gym rats should have a separate gym for their elitist attitudes. Everyone should be able to work out at the gym free of judgment.
    ^^When I go to the gym, I go when I know it won't be busy (early morning or late at night).  The judgmental people tend to be there between 4-7pm at the gyms by me. 

• @goldenpenguin & @500days -- I'm in the same boat.  Dumb 17 year old me also just had to go to a fancy private school.  I tried consolidating my loans and they told me that I couldn't because my debt is greater than my income (uh yeah I know that's why I need to consolidate).  The only other suggestion I received was to get work in the public sector because then debt is forgiven after a certain percent is paid off; since both of you teach I think you should qualify. 
    Ollie08 said:
    Swazzle said:
    ^^When I go to the gym, I go when I know it won't be busy (early morning or late at night).  The judgmental people tend to be there between 4-7pm at the gyms by me. 

But you shouldn't have to do that. We fat shame people all the time and then they go to the gym, which is obviously making an effort and they are still shamed. It's a no-win situation. It's fucking ridiculous. None should have to avoid the gym at certain times to avoid assholes.

• @eilis1228 - It really pisses me off because my degree is in communications. I mean, seriously, unless I went to Syracuse, it makes absolutely ZERO difference where it came from. I legitimately could have made money if I had gone to my home state school. Instead, I'm going to be paying for a piece of paper on the wall for a hundred years.

Although, I probably never would have found FI if I hadn't had gone there, so, I guess it worked out. :p

@speakeasy14 - I looked into it when I worked for a state school, but I don't think it works the same way working at a private school. I also don't teach, so I don't know if that makes a difference either.

*******************************************************************************************

• 1) Student loan debt gives me a panic attack just thinking about it.  I will be paying on it forever.

2) Fat-shaming is absolutely never acceptable.  I actually saw a Zumba instructor once fat-shame one of her students...I was so furious.  It's one thing to seamlessly offer modifications for some of the higher impact moves so that everyone can participate; it's another to make someone who is WORKING THEIR ASS OFF feel ashamed to be there. 

I'm dragging today.  I've been so productive most of this week that my brain is just sort of saying..."I'm finished."  Which is totally not good, because I have my LAST TWO DISSERTATION SOURCES that I'd like to get through.  I think I'm going to have to lock myself away on Saturday and work on those.

I got paid today, so that's a happy time.  I wanted to go out to lunch, but nothing sounded good except Persian food, which we don't have any of in my little town, so I made a salad instead.  I think I'll stop for Persian food on my way home tomorrow though--there's a little place by the school that I love so much. And if I'm still craving it tomorrow, I think I should probably give in to that craving.

Mr. H flew to California last night to do a series of final interviews for one of the jobs he was offered earlier this week.  This is my top choice, so T&P and good vibes would be appreciated.  He has an interview this afternoon and then another one tomorrow.  

• bethsmiles Oh I completely agree, but until it stops I do not want to be around that kind of negativity

@goldenpenguin there is a teacher loan forgiveness and a public service forgiveness program. Actually just went to the studentaid.gov website and you may be qualified even though it is a private school. I'd try applying. (Link) The pay as you earn is also a forgiveness program, but you do have to pay taxes on anything forgiven.  I'm in the pay as your earn program; I mean I'll still be in debt foreverrrr but it at least helps a little. 

@futuremrshistorian Lots of postive vibes for you and Mr. H!!!!
  • Oh man. My poor boss. She's in her office crying right now. Her mom is dying, her home alarm system has been malfunctioning for days (as in it goes off at least 5 times before 11am and she has to tell them not to call the cops every time), and she's supposed to go out of town this weekend for a library conference. She and her sisters are fighting over whether or not to put their mom in hospice, and apparently they had 3 priests there today doing her last rites. She came in laughing hysterically at the absurdity of it all and then I heard the laughing turn to crying and her door shut... I can't even imagine what she's feeling right now. 

• @ellis1228 - Oh that's awful.  Can you maybe wait until she calms down and then take her a cup of tea or something?  (Tea makes everything better.)
  • eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    @futuremrshistorian I'm thinking of convincing one of my coworkers to go with me to pick up some cookies for her. 

ETA: My coworker and I went to the liquor store and bought Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey and Hennessey, and we did shots with my boss in her office. All is well. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards