Attire & Accessories Forum

Bra solutions for large chest

I am wearing the Verina by Maggie Sottero and have a large chest. The dress has a low back so wearing a bra is out of the question so I was wondering what my options were for my grand tetons. I know very little about dress alterations so I figured asking here would help me to get all my options for alterations/stickys.
Thank you all in advance.

Re: Bra solutions for large chest

• mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I am wearing the Verina by Maggie Sottero and have a large chest. The dress has a low back so wearing a bra is out of the question so I was wondering what my options were for my grand tetons. I know very little about dress alterations so I figured asking here would help me to get all my options for alterations/stickys.
    I feel your pain :) I have a low cut back/strapless with a size 38DDD. My seamstress, however, has assured me that she can sew a bra into the front that will keep everything in place. I have a friend with a similar issue and she used the same seamstress and she said that she went BRALESS for the entire night, was comfortable and had no worries about her dress. Her bra size is like... 46G or something. 

So perhaps that's an option for you; sewing cups into the dress. They have to be done properly though so make sure you have a seamstress who knows what they're doing!

Had to add: That dress is GORGEOUS.

• I have the opposite problem, so I can't give you any advice, but a seamstress can. She can probably put in cups to keep the girls in place, but if not then she can tell you what kind of bra/solution will work for your dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Is there a way to put in boning/some kind of corset/bustier-like thing?  I ask because the dress I chose was strapless but had all this structure going on and I would not need a bra, and I am a 34GG UK size.
  • I am wearing the Verina by Maggie Sottero and have a large chest. The dress has a low back so wearing a bra is out of the question so I was wondering what my options were for my grand tetons. I know very little about dress alterations so I figured asking here would help me to get all my options for alterations/stickys.
    I feel your pain :) I have a low cut back/strapless with a size 38DDD. My seamstress, however, has assured me that she can sew a bra into the front that will keep everything in place. I have a friend with a similar issue and she used the same seamstress and she said that she went BRALESS for the entire night, was comfortable and had no worries about her dress. Her bra size is like... 46G or something. 

So perhaps that's an option for you; sewing cups into the dress. They have to be done properly though so make sure you have a seamstress who knows what they're doing!

Had to add: That dress is GORGEOUS.
    Thank you for the suggestions! Of course every dress I tried on the cups that are there for boobs sat on top of my chest, so it it great to know that I can get the correct size sewn in!! I don't mind going braless and like @doeydo mentioned I can probably see if there is a way to add a tad more structure to the lining. 
    Thank you all again for the suggestions! Off to talk to a seamstress about my options!
  • A favorite dress. If you do not mind paying a seamstress to alter foundations, You can get or have her make a nearly backless strapless long line, with only a few inches at the waist, inadequate for support but excellent for shaping.
    Have her buy this clear plastic that looks like what a library book jacket plastic is, see through and invisible under lace. She makes angled shoulder straps from the front cups over the shoulders and down just to the sides of the V cut to attach almost together at the bra bottom near center back. Truly invisible support. Sometimes with low V backs such see through are anchored to gown shoulders inside, letting the shoulder and sleeves bear the weight , but this gown has fragile lace, so invisible straps must anchor to back of bra low down.

Clotheshanger skinny models with no boobs except those high firm plastic surgery added ones can get away with stickies. But movie stars and society ladies with Marilyn Monroe or Jane Mansfield figures, and famous opera singers in elaborate costume gowns on lush figures, use clear plastic under lace all the time and have for years.
    Most home sewers do not use clear plastic strapping or know it exists, except for making clear slipcovers or raincoats. A pro seamstress should.
  • Strapping is often sold with interfacing, or else on a rack where reels of lace are sold by the yard. Only a big store in a garment district will have yards of it prepackaged displayed with hooks and elastic pieces and boning to make bras and swimsuits.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards