Chit Chat
Options

Georgia coast vacay

So every year my mom and I (and sometimes my brother and my H) take a beach vacation to a different beach. Past beach trips include: Topsail Island, NC, Seabrook Island, SC, Chesapeake Bay, VA, Edistoe Island, SC and Santa Barbara, CA. We usually rent a beach house so we can cook and spread out.

This year will be a little bit different, as my mom is retiring from academia, and I have also left academia to be a stay at home mom--which brings me to our new addition: Baby William! Now that we are no longer confined to the summer months, and since Will would only be two or three months old in the summer, we are thinking September (after labor day = cheap and quieter!). 

We are looking at Georgia this year. My mom mentioned Tybee Island, which is appealing bbecause of its proximity to Savannah--I've never been. And a quick search brought up Jeykll Island, which has a turtle sanctuary, which H might like. 

I know there are a few Georgia ladies on the boards, as well as others who may have travelled there, so I thought I'd get some input.

What we are looking for: Quiet relaxation (places similar to Myrtle or Virginia Beach are just too crowded for us), we would be happy with a good seafood restaurant or two, maybe a bar for my brother, a coffee shop for my mom...though proximity to Savannah or other day trip kind of things is a bonus. It would be great to find a baby-friendly beach where the surf isn't too rough (although he'll still be pretty tiny, so maybe that's less of a factor). A nearby airport is nice, but it can be an hour, hour and a half away. My mom would most likely be driving from southern Virginia. 

Any tips, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Georgia coast vacay

• Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I haven't spent any actual time on Jekyll Island, but every time I've driven down to Florida I've stopped there to smell the ocean air. They have excellent ocean air.
  • Options
    Confession: I haven't been to any of these places :( but I've heard that all of them (as well as St. Simon's Island) are lovely.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Hilton Head Island, SC is a gem. It's right past the GA/SC line.

My best friend's family has a timeshare there & I've vacationed with them several times. 
    It's about an hour drive to Savannah/Tybee Island. It'd be almost PERFECT in September.

What I love about HH, is that it's more of a "retirement community" (quiet, not a lot of people), but it also has a ton of stuff to do (gorgeous beaches - not so crowded like Myrtle or VA beach, shopping at the Tanger Outlets, biking trails, golfing etc). We went to a dueling piano bar one night, which was really fun. They have lots of cute, quaint little diners, coffee shops, and restaurants. 

To me, it's a perfect place to stay and still be able to travel into Savannah & Tybee!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I second St. Simon's Island. 

I also remembered the Atlanta newspaper did a "Weekend In..." for the Georgia coastline and they give you a save/moderate/splurge vacation suggestion. You may want to check it out for ideas.

Savannah is wonderful, you could make your whole trip all about Savannah with some daytrips to Tybee and some of the other border islands. Anyway, here's the link I mentioned. I hope you have a wonderful vacation! September will be great, unlike an early spring trip, the water will be warmer still from the summer heat.

• Options
    I'd rather spend time in Charleston than Savannah so I'd probably look into Isle of Palms as a base. To me HH feels a bit like a mall and Tybee didn't have much to offer.
  • Options
    Savannah is gorgeous, although I got the impression it was a bit more of a party atmosphere at night - every shop keeper reminded me that "you can take your drink outside here you know! don't you want a drink? seriously, no open container laws, woo!" I was there mid-week so the actual partying wasn't happening, but you could tell that some nights it would be on. I imagine it would also be tricky with a baby - old brick/stone streets and lots of steps are not stroller-friendly.

I haven't been to Tybee Island, but a friend of mine goes there every year with her little girl and loves it.

• Options
    I'd rather spend time in Charleston than Savannah so I'd probably look into Isle of Palms as a base. To me HH feels a bit like a mall and Tybee didn't have much to offer.

LOVE Charleston, but we've done Seabrook/Charleston and Edistoe/Charleston, so I think it's time to give Savannah a chance.

As for the nightlife/party atmosphere, I doubt we would head into the city at night. Probably brunch and a day trip kind of thing. Although who knows, maybe H and I will need a night out on the town and leave baby with grandma (doubt it). 

LaBro said:
    I second St. Simon's Island. 

I also remembered the Atlanta newspaper did a "Weekend In..." for the Georgia coastline and they give you a save/moderate/splurge vacation suggestion. You may want to check it out for ideas.

Savannah is wonderful, you could make your whole trip all about Savannah with some daytrips to Tybee and some of the other border islands. Anyway, here's the link I mentioned. I hope you have a wonderful vacation! September will be great, unlike an early spring trip, the water will be warmer still from the summer heat.

Thanks for the tip and the resource! We will definitely give St. Simon's a look!
  • Options
    We went to Savannah last year for the Fourth of July. It was aaaaaaamazing. On the other hand - we spent a day on Tybee, and I fucking hated it. It was unnecessarily crowded and loud and there really didn't seem to be all that much there. I might go back at... not-Fourth-of-July time... but it was not a good experience for me at its peak time. So I hesitate.

I do want to throw in the option of 30A in Florida. There are four or five fantastic little towns out through there and they're all peaceful sleepy little places with beach houses all over. They're not close to southern Virginia, but they're about an hour from Panama City Beach Airport.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We went to Savannah last year for the Fourth of July. It was aaaaaaamazing. On the other hand - we spent a day on Tybee, and I fucking hated it. It was unnecessarily crowded and loud and there really didn't seem to be all that much there. I might go back at... not-Fourth-of-July time... but it was not a good experience for me at its peak time. So I hesitate. I do want to throw in the option of 30A in Florida. There are four or five fantastic little towns out through there and they're all peaceful sleepy little places with beach houses all over. They're not close to southern Virginia, but they're about an hour from Panama City Beach Airport.

H is resisting FL suggestions, since he just went to the Destin area (what we were originally considering) for work and is going again in a couple of weeks. We're thinking of doing that one next year.
  • Options
    Blergbot said:
    We went to Savannah last year for the Fourth of July. It was aaaaaaamazing. On the other hand - we spent a day on Tybee, and I fucking hated it. It was unnecessarily crowded and loud and there really didn't seem to be all that much there. I might go back at... not-Fourth-of-July time... but it was not a good experience for me at its peak time. So I hesitate. I do want to throw in the option of 30A in Florida. There are four or five fantastic little towns out through there and they're all peaceful sleepy little places with beach houses all over. They're not close to southern Virginia, but they're about an hour from Panama City Beach Airport.

H is resisting FL suggestions, since he just went to the Destin area (what we were originally considering) for work and is going again in a couple of weeks. We're thinking of doing that one next year.

IF you do end up doing Florida I definitely recommend -

St. Augustine

Cape San Blas - my parents rented a beach house here with two other couples. Very dog friendly/family friendly beaches. No crowds. It's absolutely gorgeous.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards