Moms and Maids

Mother of Bride and Mother of Groom Outfits

Will is look odd to have the mother of the bride & groom in the same color dress but different shade?  Both picked out a blue dress, one navy, one a more bright blue.  My wedding colors are dark purple and grey.  I said they could wear whatever color they wanted, I'm just worried its going to look odd that they're in similar colors.  Opinion please!  What did you do?

Re: Mother of Bride and Mother of Groom Outfits

• My colors are coral, mint, and gray. I have 3 mothers to worry about. I thought that each of them would pick a color...its not that easy! My step mom took gray and my mom has mint. Its harder than you think to find a mother of the groom dress in coral that is more motherly than anything. I was sort of stressing about the clashing and if one of the other mothers would be offended if their dresses looked too much alike. But that is out of your control and as Brides we must understand that! I think that since the colors are such different shades, it will look great! My future sister in law had purple and teal as her colors and while the mothers were in green and purple, the purple and green were a darker shade than that of the real wedding. I think you're safe with the two shades! It will look good!
  • cds2015 said:
    Will is look odd to have the mother of the bride & groom in the same color dress but different shade?  Both picked out a blue dress, one navy, one a more bright blue.  My wedding colors are dark purple and grey.  I said they could wear whatever color they wanted, I'm just worried its going to look odd that they're in similar colors.  Opinion please!  What did you do?
    They chose outfits and I'm sure they will look amazing in whatever they wear. Don't worry about the colors. Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is a non-issue.  They should feel whatever they feel most beautiful in. 

• It won't look odd.The mothers should choose a color, style, length that suits their personal tastes. They aren't required to match or complement each other, the wedding party or the décor. The bride shouldn't assign colors to the mothers.

• The only time I would ever say something about it is if I found out they were getting the same dress (no objections from me, but I would give them a heads up in case they don't want to match.)  Otherwise, it doesn't matter what they wear!  There will be no clashing. :)
  • It won't look odd at all. Both my mom and DH's mom wore blue. The shade and style of their dresses were different, and they both looked absolutely lovely. 
  • I officiated my sister's wedding.  Sister just asked me to wear something that wasn't too loud for when I was in the background of ceremony photos, so nothing super bright or a busy pattern.  Made sense, so fine.  Bought a long chiffon dress in seafoam green.  Mom bought a hi-lo dress in light aqua.  We tried them on together and took a picture to send to my sister.  They were almost the same color.  We asked my sister if one of us should change (they also made my dress in pink which is my favorite color), but sister said we looked great and should keep them.  When the MOG asked what she should wear, my sister told her to wear whatever she wanted, but that I and my mother were both accidently wearing light blue.  MOG wore a cream skirt and an adorable light blue top with sequins.  My point is that while we looked great all wearing clothing in a similar color, we would have looked just as great if I had switched to the pink dress and MOG had worn lime green.
  • The mothers are not required to wear or not wear any certain color. Nobody will care what they are wearing. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards