Getting in Shape

Should I Go to Pilates Tonight?

Hello,

I just joined a gym to get back in shape after a long hiatus from sports & working out.  

It's 22 degrees out, my gym is a half-mile walk away, and it's getting dark soon.  Should I get off my a$$, suck it up, and get to the gym?  It will be dark by the time I leave and head home :(  I haven't done pilates in over a year, and am a little self-conscious about going to this gym and looking like an uncoordinated weakling in class.  Looking for a little motivation from the TK community.  Thank you!

Hope everyone is having a good day. 

Re: Should I Go to Pilates Tonight?

• Unless you're sick or injured or running on less than 4 hours of sleep, the answer is always yes. Now if only I could take my own advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unless you're sick or injured or running on less than 4 hours of sleep, the answer is always yes. Now if only I could take my own advice!

I love this attitude. I wound up going & am SO glad I did. Sitting on a runway now though and am so stuff but it's a good pain! Had a massive back injury year before last & forgot how amazing Pilates is for the old spine. What type of exercise are you into? Thanks for the push, I'm going to use that criteria next time I don't feel like working out.
  • *stiff. On mobile, no editing function.
  • I'm glad you went! I've fallen off the wagon. I used to do classes at the gym, mostly a combination of step and weights that I really liked and then I changed jobs and the class times aren't convenient anymore. I can go do my own workout but I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't push myself as hard as the classes did. I, too, have a back injury from a few years ago. I slipped and fell on some ice at work and landed on my tailbone. 6 months of physiotherapy and 3 years later it still bothers me, so I'm wary of doing anything that might tweak my back if my form is off. I've looked into personal trainers but they're just so expensive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  

Unless you're sick or injured or running on less than 4 hours of sleep, the answer is always yes. Now if only I could take my own advice!
    I like that attitude.  I've recently started trying to get back into shape and that initial motivation is so hard sometimes.  Like both of you, I also have back issues.  I have one week left in my 3-month round of physical therapy and am trying to find a good routine to continue on my own.  I have a hard time pushing myself at home to exercise, so I started doing yoga classes.  I dread the anticipation of going and everyday debate if I should really go, but I always feel amazing afterward and am glad I went.  I also just bought the PiYo videos and am trying to do that at home.  I find that yoga and pilates are great because they simultaneously stretch and strengthen, which is really good for the back (and other areas). You just need to make sure you don't overdo it and hurt yourself.  It's all about listening to your body and knowing your limits though.

• Sounds like you both endorse Pilates with back injuries. I should check it out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Surprisingly, the exercises I'm doing in physical therapy for my back are very similar to the exercises in yoga and pilates, which is why I started those to transition into after therapy is complete.  I've had back problems since childhood and have chronic pain.  I've been through 6-8 rounds of physical therapy in my life and this current one, which uses a lot of yoga/pilates based exercises, is the first one that has really helped reduce my pain.  For the first time in over 12 years, I don't need narcotic pain meds to get through my days. So, I'm a big believer now in yoga & pilates to help strengthen and re-build after injury.  As long as you don't overdo it and hurt yourself further.

• aerial yoga and inversions for problematic spines. . . . they are the only thing that helps me.
  • I'm glad you went! I've fallen off the wagon. I used to do classes at the gym, mostly a combination of step and weights that I really liked and then I changed jobs and the class times aren't convenient anymore. I can go do my own workout but I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't push myself as hard as the classes did. I, too, have a back injury from a few years ago. I slipped and fell on some ice at work and landed on my tailbone. 6 months of physiotherapy and 3 years later it still bothers me, so I'm wary of doing anything that might tweak my back if my form is off. I've looked into personal trainers but they're just so expensive.
    Ugh, that sounds like an awful accident, I'm so sorry that happened.  I crushed my L1 vertebrate in a sports accident and still cannot believe I wasn't paralyzed.  I had spinal surgery right away to fuse the 3 vertebrate together.  Strangely, I didn't have any physical therapy since all that needed to happen was for the bones to heal.  I did a TON of walking, which helped a lot.  I did have some muscle and nerve issues after though and my physiatrist recommended a huge amount of core exercises.  I did learn that strong core = less back troubles.  Even if you can't get to a class and you want to get back on the wagon, so to speak, you can start with really tiny, achievable goals (like do a couple of 30 second planks and call it a day, then work up to 1 minute planks 5 times.  I'm lazy so I like to do stuff I don't have to leave the house for!)  Also, I agree.  I wish personal trainers weren't so expensive.  I'm still glad I went to the class and I'm still sore!  Planning to go back again this weekend.  Baby steps!
  •  

Unless you're sick or injured or running on less than 4 hours of sleep, the answer is always yes. Now if only I could take my own advice!
    I like that attitude.  I've recently started trying to get back into shape and that initial motivation is so hard sometimes.  Like both of you, I also have back issues.  I have one week left in my 3-month round of physical therapy and am trying to find a good routine to continue on my own.  I have a hard time pushing myself at home to exercise, so I started doing yoga classes.  I dread the anticipation of going and everyday debate if I should really go, but I always feel amazing afterward and am glad I went.  I also just bought the PiYo videos and am trying to do that at home.  I find that yoga and pilates are great because they simultaneously stretch and strengthen, which is really good for the back (and other areas). You just need to make sure you don't overdo it and hurt yourself.  It's all about listening to your body and knowing your limits though.
    Truer words were never spoken.  I learned that lesson the hard way, twice.  I've had 2 major sports injuries in my life that required surgery (torn ACL and broken vertebrate) and BOTH were sustained when I was tired, pushing too hard, and not focused.  It's simple wisdom but I didn't subscribe to it until it was too late.  Now I live by those words.  I'm going to look for the PiYo videos, thanks for the tip.  Congratulations on finishing up PT, I hope you come out stronger on the other end!
  • Sounds like you both endorse Pilates with back injuries. I should check it out!
    I definitely recommend it as it's tremendous for the core.  I was really intimidated by it at first b/c I got a free private lesson with a new gym membership and the instructor looked like something out of Shape or Self Magazine.  I thought, "there's no way I can do this".  I did it, it was super hard and I didn't do it again until after I had my accident.  Now I'm a total convert.  If you do decide to give it a try, you'll find that there are many different ways to do it.  You can spring for (expensive) private instructed at the studios that have the pilates machines but I like the class I found at Equinox on Tuesday (which you encouraged me to go to!) where everyone just gets a mat, a ball, a block, and a strap and the instructor walks around the class and just tells you what to do.  That way, as a beginner, you can really just do whatever you are comfortable with including just laying down on the mat if you can't hold a pose anymore (which I did more than once on Tuesday).  Also, I've gotten the best stretches in my life from pilates.  If you give it a try, let us know what you think!
  • I've done yoga in the past in classes like the one you described. My gym has Pilates classes, I just need to find one that fits my schedule. I have noticed before that whenever my core is stronger I have less back pain. I know it's definitely beneficial, I just need to get started. I did skip the gym today but in my defence I am sick and had about 3.5 hours of sleep. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've done yoga in the past in classes like the one you described. My gym has Pilates classes, I just need to find one that fits my schedule. I have noticed before that whenever my core is stronger I have less back pain. I know it's definitely beneficial, I just need to get started. I did skip the gym today but in my defence I am sick and had about 3.5 hours of sleep. :)
    Well that meets your criteria, then!  Less than 4 hours of sleep, AND sick.  You get a pass.  I will tell you that your initial response to my post has really sparked my ambition to get back in shape and I'll be spinning tomorrow and heading back to pilates on Sunday.  I hope you get well soon and have a nice weekend.  Thanks again for the inspiration, I needed it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards