Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Help! Need a cheap Dance Floor Option.

My fiancé and I are having our reception in the loft of a barn. image
We were just told that it's required that we have a dance floor in the loft. I found this picture on my venues website to give you all an idea of where it will be. It looks like this couple has some type of dance floor, but I'm not sure what.
Anyways we didn't know or realize that is was required, so it wasn't budgeted out. 
SO we aren't able to afford renting one, it is going to be about $300-400
Any other ideas as to what we should do?

Re: Help! Need a cheap Dance Floor Option.

• Options
    It's really strange for them to require you to have a dance floor, or at least I've never heard of any place that would. You can always DIY it: http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/how-to-build-a-dance-floor/

I would talk to your reception coordinator or whomever is in charge again though. 
    It may be because it's in a loft that they don't want people jumping around without extra support or something? If you're not planning to have dancing at all, you can probably negotiate out of it; if you are, you should talk to them about why a dance floor is required and see if they can suggest something (cheaper rental, old one they have somewhere, etc). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    vulpiepop said:
    It's really strange for them to require you to have a dance floor, or at least I've never heard of any place that would. You can always DIY it: http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/how-to-build-a-dance-floor/

I would talk to your reception coordinator or whomever is in charge again though. 
    It may be because it's in a loft that they don't want people jumping around without extra support or something? If you're not planning to have dancing at all, you can probably negotiate out of it; if you are, you should talk to them about why a dance floor is required and see if they can suggest something (cheaper rental, old one they have somewhere, etc). 
    Oh my gosh, thank you so much for this link.  I also have to provide my own dance floor, and I'm positive we will be making our own now.  YES to one more thing checked off the list (well, not yet, I guess :) without spending another $800!

• Options
    I'd try arguing with them. But double check your contract first. If the contract does not say anything about the B&G providing a dance floor, try to get them to pay for it. If the venue wants to insist on something, they need to have it in the contract. The venue sounds a bit shady to me.
  • Options
    I spend a ton of time in horse barns.  Hay lofts are not meant for walking around in heels.  Boards don't come together, some boards have knots (holes).  They're not particularly level from board to board.  Some even have holes meant for dropping hay down to the animals.  This isn't a structural support issue, this is a smooth, level walking surface issue.  The venue is making sure they're as protected as possible from the liability aspect of a guest tripping on a surface that isn't smooth.
  • Options
    I spend a ton of time in horse barns.  Hay lofts are not meant for walking around in heels.  Boards don't come together, some boards have knots (holes).  They're not particularly level from board to board.  Some even have holes meant for dropping hay down to the animals.  This isn't a structural support issue, this is a smooth, level walking surface issue.  The venue is making sure they're as protected as possible from the liability aspect of a guest tripping on a surface that isn't smooth.
    All of which are very fair concerns; however, the owners of the venue should have thought of that before agreeing to rent!
  • Options
    There are several options. you can rent a dance floor or you can actually make one.  Renting one is a snap together floor hotels use them outdoor weddings use them etc.  to make one you really just need to frame it put plywood over it and cover it with laminate flooring.  Not too expensive.  
  • Options
    chasseuse said:
    All of which are very fair concerns; however, the owners of the venue should have thought of that before agreeing to rent!
    Perhaps it was in the contract and was overlooked.
  • Options
    I don't know if this would work, but we are renting "tent flooring" for $1 per square foot from a rental company.  Its snap together plastic squares.  We're using it for the band to set up on so they're not on the grass, but maybe you could use it as a dance floor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards