Chit Chat

Re: Harry Potter Fans

• Thanks for posting! It's 14 minutes so balancing work with Snape :) 

• anjemon said:
    I think it's really cool to see his story in chronological order. You get so much of it out of order it's harder to see how became the person he was.

That said, it doesn't really change any of Snape's story for me. It's not any new information and (because I'm a huge HP nerd) it leaves out some really important bits. Dude had a hard life and got into a sucky situation, but I still really hate him for the kind of adult he turned into. 
    oh, see- I like Snape. I think Dumbledore was the a-hole of the bunch.
  • I love Snape and will watch this tonight so I can give it the attention it deserves. I am too busy at work today to pay close attention.
  • Agh I wanna watch but I have no headphones!

• anjemon said:
    I think it's really cool to see his story in chronological order. You get so much of it out of order it's harder to see how became the person he was.

That said, it doesn't really change any of Snape's story for me. It's not any new information and (because I'm a huge HP nerd) it leaves out some really important bits. Dude had a hard life and got into a sucky situation, but I still really hate him for the kind of adult he turned into. 
    I love your post so much. I rarely meet other HP fans who also dislike Snape!

• I've read the series more times than I can count and it doesn't change anything about snape for me. Once you hit the 6th book and get his full story, everything is there and it just takes a little time to put it all together. 

I don't think Dumbledore is a dick in all this because he did have a master plan. It was ruined when he wore the horcrux ring and did what he could in the time he had left. Everyone had a specific part to play. Personally, my least favorite is Bellatrix. Even more than Voldermort, she's be cold hearted bitch. But of the "good guys" James is by far my least favorite. He's hardly painted honorably except for being Harry's dad. 
  • BrandNewJ said:
    I've read the series more times than I can count and it doesn't change anything about snape for me. Once you hit the 6th book and get his full story, everything is there and it just takes a little time to put it all together. 

I don't think Dumbledore is a dick in all this because he did have a master plan. It was ruined when he wore the horcrux ring and did what he could in the time he had left. Everyone had a specific part to play. Personally, my least favorite is Bellatrix. Even more than Voldermort, she's be cold hearted bitch. But of the "good guys" James is by far my least favorite. He's hardly painted honorably except for being Harry's dad. 
    I think Rowling failed at really giving James a whole story. We just hear his friends say "yeah, he could be a jerk but he really was a good guy" and then obviously Snape hated him because he was a dick to him. I wish we had heard more stories about how James turned it around from being a jerk and made Lilly agree to date him.

• sarahufl said:
    anjemon said:

oh, see- I like Snape. I think Dumbledore was the a-hole of the bunch.
    I won't disagree that Dumbledore was sort of an a-hole. He moved people around like pawns and didn't (couldn't) worry about their feelings (although I understand his reasons). But I think underneath there was a lot more caring about his actions and their consequences. 

I like Snape as a character. He's an interesting addition to the story, but as a person? Hate him. And I don't think his backstory excuses how he treats all his students. But I obviously have strong feelings on the subject.
  • BrandNewJ said:
    I've read the series more times than I can count and it doesn't change anything about snape for me. Once you hit the 6th book and get his full story, everything is there and it just takes a little time to put it all together. 

I think Rowling failed at really giving James a whole story. We just hear his friends say "yeah, he could be a jerk but he really was a good guy" and then obviously Snape hated him because he was a dick to him. I wish we had heard more stories about how James turned it around from being a jerk and made Lilly agree to date him.
    I completely agree. I honestly also would'v loved a more detailed history on Lily too since both were such big characters. But from what I know I just can't see him in good light. I love Sirius though. 
  • anjemon said:

Yay! One of FI and I's first big "disagreements" was over Snape. He thought I was saying he was a bad person for liking him. What I was really trying to say is how much Snape drives me crazy, but I apparently fought very passionately about it. Whoops.
  • BrandNewJ said:
    BrandNewJ said:

I completely agree. I honestly also would'v loved a more detailed history on Lily too since both were such big characters. But from what I know I just can't see him in good light. I love Sirius though. 
    Agreed on Lily and James. I don't really like him, but I give him the benefit of the doubt since Lily eventually gave him a chance. And she was awesome, so I assume he changed enough to meet her high standards.
  • edited February 2015
    I love Sirius though.

Who doesn't?!

ETA: Deleted all the quote boxes because they were broken anyway.

That would be me. I never could stand Sirius. He never grew out of the petulant teenager mindset and He irritated me to no end.
  • I love Sirius though. Who doesn't?! ETA: Deleted all the quote boxes because they were broken anyway. That would be me. I never could stand Sirius. He never grew out of the petulant teenager mindset and He irritated me to no end.
    I know where you're coming from. (I'm sounding like such a grump today!) Sirius drove me crazy a lot too. 
  • BrandNewJ said:

I actually thought Umbridge was the worst. She was a certifiable sociopath and psychopath. She got joy out of torturing people and causing them, didn't matter who.
  • BrandNewJ said:

I actually thought Umbridge was the worst. She was a certifiable sociopath and psychopath. She got joy out of torturing people and causing them, didn't matter who.

True, forgot about her! She is terrible, but I don't think she ever killed anyone? I can't remember. It's been a while since my last read. Even though Bellatrix did love Voldermort and wouldn't hurt him, she would hurt and kill anyone else the second he asks her.
  • BrandNewJ said:
    BrandNewJ said:

True, forgot about her! She is terrible, but I don't think she ever killed anyone? I can't remember. It's been a while since my last read. Even though Bellatrix did love Voldermort and wouldn't hurt him, she would hurt and kill anyone else the second he asks her.
    I don't believed she killed anyone. Maybe part of why I think Umbridge was the worst is that she got more book time. She was shown in person more. Her motivations were always because she liked causing people pain and her allegiance was always to whoever was in charge. Bellatrix seemed like while she liked torture and killing, it was more because she was in love with Voldemort.

As a side note, I love how Bellatrix's husband is never mentioned again after book 5. Just totally written out.
  • anjemon said:
    anjemon said:

Yay! One of FI and I's first big "disagreements" was over Snape. He thought I was saying he was a bad person for liking him. What I was really trying to say is how much Snape drives me crazy, but I apparently fought very passionately about it. Whoops.
    SO isn't even into HP (I made him watch all the movies, he hasn't read the books) but he will say he loves Snape just to push my buttons!

• Meh, it's nice, but like others have said, it doesn't offer much new--we all knew his back story by the end of the books.  It DID make me want to go reread the books though, so it gets two thumbs up from me for that  :)

That would be me. I never could stand Sirius. He never grew out of the petulant teenager mindset and He irritated me to no end.
    Not gonna lie, I feel the same way.  

Of course, this is coming from the same person who doesn't even like Harry that much (and I'm a HUGE fan of the series--we're talking, liked it "before it was cool", was at midnight releases, was a mod of a HP forum for awhile....H does not let me live that one down).
    Anniversary

• Love everything about this post! Umbridge was my LEAST favorite, she is terrible! I recently got to work in the UK for a month just outside of London, my FAVORITE part of that trip was going to the studio TWICE! Yep, paid and went twice and it was life changing! Probably spent most of my money there and I drive FI nuts with the HP decor in the house but I can't help it, I read the series probably 2 or 3 times a year in between other books and it's like coming home :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love everything about this post! Umbridge was my LEAST favorite, she is terrible! I recently got to work in the UK for a month just outside of London, my FAVORITE part of that trip was going to the studio TWICE! Yep, paid and went twice and it was life changing! Probably spent most of my money there and I drive FI nuts with the HP decor in the house but I can't help it, I read the series probably 2 or 3 times a year in between other books and it's like coming home :)
    This is the truest thing I've ever read. I've moved around a lot the past few years and nowhere ever feels like home until I've read the whole HP series there.

• Snape was never at the top of my favorite characters list. When we finally got all of his backstory, my feelings towards him really changed. I cried through a lot of book 7 but I think Doby and the Always scene got to me the most.

As far as Dumbledore goes, I thought he was so great while reading the series. Looking back on it now I think I'm a little bitter that he knew what the deal was but instead of telling Harry what was coming, he kept all of it from him. Granted I can see why you wouldn't tell him he needed to die but maybe more direction for the Horcrux search.
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • duhitsd said:
    Snape was never at the top of my favorite characters list. When we finally got all of his backstory, my feelings towards him really changed. I cried through a lot of book 7 but I think Doby and the Always scene got to me the most.

As far as Dumbledore goes, I thought he was so great while reading the series. Looking back on it now I think I'm a little bitter that he knew what the deal was but instead of telling Harry what was coming, he kept all of it from him. Granted I can see why you wouldn't tell him he needed to die but maybe more direction for the Horcrux search.
    This is why I think Dumbledore is an A-hole. You don't use a child as a puppet.
  • Love love love Snape. Or maybe that's just my Alan Rickman obsession. 
  • Love love love Snape. Or maybe that's just my Alan Rickman obsession. 
    Alan Rickman? This is Alan Rickman.

Every time I hear Alan Rickman's voice I think of that Family Guy episode.

imageimage

• Did anyone go to The Celebration of HP at Universal? I went the first year (a pretty penny) and saw some amazing stuff, the best being the Weasley twins singing drunk karaoke.

imageimage

• I sympathized with Snape, but I also think he was a complete ass unnecessarily.  I also take issue with Dumbledore.  He was very selfish in a lot of ways, and much of it was hidden under the guise of humility and "the greater good." 

Alan Rickman's portrayal of Snape finding Lilly dead makes me cry every time. 

• So since weve started bringing up actors....I was very sad to see that Michael Gambon (Dumbledore from film 3 onwards after desth of Sir Richard Harris) is having significant memory problems and is stopping work in theater projects. I liked him in a lot of non HP works too.
  • @chipmunk415, a "love it" of agreement, not of "good news." If that makes sense.

Where I come down on Snape/Dumbledore issues:

Dumbledore's an ass. What kind of responsible leader puts kids in harm's way on such a regular basis?

Snape's an ass. Mistreating the students is no way to go through life, son.

Harry's an idiot. Why does he trust Dumbledore? I have no idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards