June 2016 Weddings

So how about a "Getting to Know You" thread?

kmomackmomac member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
edited December 2014 in June 2016 Weddings
Thought it might be nice for us to get to know each other, even if there aren't many of us yet!

Screen name:
Wedding date:
How your FI proposed:
Describe your wedding vision:
Your wedding must-have:
Your wedding "I could do without...":
Color palette:
Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning:
Favorite food:
One interesting thing about yourself:

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: So how about a "Getting to Know You" thread?

• kmomackmomac member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014
    Screen name: kmomac
    Wedding date: June 17, 2016
    How your FI proposed: I came home from a really crappy day at work, and I was complaining for probably 10 minutes. I noticed my FI had cleaned the apartment and I thanked him and sat on the couch. About two minutes later, I saw him out of the corner of my eye. He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! I was completely surprised. 
    Describe your wedding vision: We're having a FL DW in the evening. It will be waterside (on a dock overlooking the water) with a casual beach theme. We wanted something low-key but fun. 
    Your wedding must-have: Great photography.
    Your wedding "I could do without...": Bouquet toss/garter toss. 
    Color palette: Turquoise (I'm thinking the Malibu shade from David's Bridal), coral, and white
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Cooking! I've gotten into trying new (and even sometimes intimidating) things and I've gotten FI to open up to some new foods. 
    Favorite food: Steak & baked potatoes- goes together like PB&J.
    One interesting thing about yourself: I have three tattoos and I'm dying for another one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll play!

Screen name: crabbylucy
    Wedding date: June 11, 2016
    How your FI proposed: After coming home from work, I found our poor cat trying desperately to pull off her collar, and no wonder because of the ring on it!
    Describe your wedding vision: We're doing a super simple ceremony followed by a cake/punch reception.  Simple yet inexpensive is more like it.
    Your wedding must-have: Great photography. By far the most expense item on the list and we're fine with that.
    Your wedding "I could do without...":  A lot of things that drive up the cost of a wedding like alcohol, DJ, etc.
    Color palette: Teal/yellow/gray
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Play around with photography.
    Favorite food: Pasta!
    One interesting thing about yourself: I'm a Disney World fanatic. 
  • Screen name:  Bhahn0911
    Wedding date:  June 18, 2016
    How your FI proposed:  We were on vacation in Myrtle Beach and he hid the ring in the sand inside a rock/shell.  He had his parents hide it in the sand before we got down to the beach.  He was pretending he was looking for shells and showed me the shell, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!!  He had them take pictures and capture it on video!  Something I will always treasure!!
    Describe your wedding vision: We are trying to keep in inexpensive, but things are definitely starting to add up already.  I plan on doing a lot of DIY projects for the wedding to help with that.  I am also making them food myself for the reception (well with my mom's help!!) 
    Your wedding must-have:  Photography and Photobooth!!!
    Your wedding "I could do without...":  Not too sure on this one.
    Color palette:  Lime green and Royal Blue!!
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning:  See new places and have new experiences!
    Favorite food:  Chicken and Cheese!
    One interesting thing about yourself:  I have an obsession with scarves, anything lime green, and flip flops :)
  • queengemasia1queengemasia1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Screen Name: queengemasia1

Wedding date: June 19, 2016

How FH proposed: Our 2 year anniversary was approaching. We don't live together and we are a Brady Bunch. I have 2 kids boy and girl, he has the same. I showed up at his home unannounced and his youngest child asked me if I was going to marry his dad and I said someday. He said good because daddy bought you a ring. Well the cat was out of the bag. FH was disappointed, but he still got down on one knee and told me in front of the children. It was comical to say the least.

Wedding vision: making it memorable for our children and family.

Wedding must have: fun, there is nothing worse than a boring wedding.

Wedding "I could do without": the whole thing. I would just rather elope, but he wants this, but mainly for the children can have something to remember.

Color palette: dark turquoise and royal purple. Its peacock without the feathers or green. We are having butterflies to signify new beginnings.

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: I love to read

Favorite food: there are too many options to just choose one.

One interesting thing about yourself: I can read a 400 page book in a day if interesting and I am full of useless knowledge.

• Screen name: mrsk616

Wedding date: June 2016 (maybe towards the end havent decided yet) 

How FI proposed: christmas eve 2013 downtown cle public square in front of a pink lit tree. 

Wedding Vision: modern and nautical

Wedding must have: fun, dancing, amazing view, booze

Wedding "I could do without": opinions from everyone. so what if we like a venue farther out, so what if you live 2 hrs away from us and have to drive another 45 mins. (sister mostly so i can complain about that) 

Color palette: royal blue and pink

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: crocheting... calming even though it hurts my hands. 

Favorite Food: Extra cheesy Pizza

One interesting thing about yourself: I have wanted to race cars for a living for years but my parents never let me. Now i just want to build them with my FI
  • Count me in too!

Screen name: Knottie0839442 (Oops.. so eager to sign up I forgot to personalize it!)

Wedding date:June 2016 (depends on when venues are available, probably Sat/Sun the 2nd week)

How your FI proposed: He took me to Disneyworld, and I was so sure he'd propose then. But the whole week went by and he didn't, so I figured he wasn't ready yet... Then the last day we got back to the hotel at like 2am and flopped onto the bed, and he pulled out a ring and said he'd been looking for the perfect time, but never found anything "special enough." Then he asked me to be his Hero of Time! (Yes, we're Legend of Zelda fans.)

Describe your wedding vision: Beautiful scenery, with sun dancing off the water, and people I love laughing and having fun. Fairly small. Outdoors.
    Your wedding must-have: Geek touches and tea.
    Your wedding "I could do without...": Dancing. Not much for super-loud music.
    Color palette: TBD. Depends on which dress style the bridesmaids want, which depends on venue.
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Play games, board games and video games both. Write. Read. Drink tea.
    Favorite food: Honeysuckle jam over baked brie has a special place for my taste buds, but really most things cooked and shared with people I love. It always tastes better when you make it together.
    One interesting thing about yourself: I've written a fantasy novel, and am currently working on #2.
  • @MrsK616 - I'm an hour away from Cleveland! 

I'm really enjoying reading all about you ladies! :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Screen name: nhultberg461
    Wedding date: 6-4-2016
    How your FI proposed: He took me to pick out my ring, he has aphasia, from burst anyersum/strokes.
    Describe your wedding vision: Not any clue yet
    Your wedding must-have: My kids there
    Your wedding "I could do without...": Family Drama
    Color palette: Red, Black and White
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Visit the Shelby Car Museum
    Favorite food: Pizza
    One interesting thing about yourself: Looking a classic cars, and wanting a Shelby
  • @queengemasia1 we have the same wedding date!! Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Screen name: 714hbbride
    Wedding date: 6/19/16
    Occupation: HSE technician for an oilfield. I make sure no one gets hurt!!
    How your FI proposed: We had bought the ring together a few weeks before. He came by my work for lunch on my birthday and was so nervous he asked me right there in the parking lot!! It was very much his style. 
    Describe your wedding vision: Beach side!! A fun time that is a little non-traditional
    Your wedding must-have: Delicious cake and an awesome DJ!!
    Your wedding "I could do without...": Videographer and crazy family drama
    Color palette: Aqua and bright/coral pink. Bright and colorful!!
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Pole dance!! I love pole fitness
    Favorite food: Any kind of mexican food
    One interesting thing about yourself: Graduated college in 3 years
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jenidubbsjenidubbs member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015

Screen name: JeniDubbs

Wedding date: June 2016

How your FI proposed: He surprised me at sunset, on the beach, outside our NC vacation house, in September. He knelt down in the sand and asked as he handed me a hand carved, wooden ring box he had made. He had secretly worked with a jeweler and his sisters to get a ring that was a combination of a few I had put on Pinterest.  I was speechless and teary, but he knew my answer was yes!  Afterward, he scooped up sand from where we had been standing as a keepsake.  I had known he would ask me one day, but I was not expecting such a romantic moment!  The best part was that we had a whole week of vacation left to enjoy each other and to celebrate with family.

Describe your wedding vision: Elegant estate garden or industrial space with a touch of vintage and DIY

Your wedding must-have: A big Italian party

Your wedding "I could do without...": I have to go with drama!

Color palette: hues of blush, aqua, and sage with ivory and copper accents (this might change once the wedding venue is finalized)

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: yoga, cycling, painting, volunteer work

Favorite food: Coming from a family of cooks, that's a tough one.  I guess I would say seafood.

One interesting thing about yourself: I am very creative and passionate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @crabbylucy We're date twins!!!

Screen name: sassyfrass2014
    How your FI proposed: Spring Break at St. Augustine, FL. We took a day trip and made the 2 hour drive to Disney World because I had worn him down. I love Disney! We spent all day at Magic Kingdom, my favorite park, and got great spots to watch the fireworks at the end of the day. He got down on one knee during the Wishes Fireworks Show!
    Describe your wedding vision: A well hosted event where our friends and family don't have to worry about a thing! Oh, and also, we get married. 
    Your wedding must-have: Big Southern Party
    Your wedding "I could do without...": A garter/bouquet toss.
    Color palette: pink, navy blue, and gold
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: writing, hiking, backpacking, playing with our dogs. 
    Favorite food: Nachos
    One interesting thing about yourself: I love to create! So a wedding is a great outlet. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @sassyfrass2014 Hello date twin!  I also love your propsoal story. :)
  • @sassyfrass2014 Hello date twin!  I also love your propsoal story. :)
    Thank you! He put a lot of thought into it! But I would have said yes no matter what.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Screen name: OrangePolkaDots

Wedding date: June 25, 2016 (Hoping - if not we may move into July)

How your FI proposed: We went on a special date night in December. We got a room at a nice hotel downtown, went to a nice dinner, and watched Snowflake Lane (a holiday parade type thing with fake snow etc). After dinner, he walked me to a fountain outside the hotel, and we made wishes into the fountain. Then he asked me what I wished for, and I said I couldn't tell him or it wouldn't come true. Then he says, "Do you know what I wished for?" Before I could ask, "What?" he got got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! He put a ton of thought into it, and timed it perfectly. He proposed to me at 10:11 pm on 12/13/14. :)

Describe your wedding vision: SImple but elegant. We're on a pretty tight budget but I still want a nice wedding. I'm hoping to have a relatively small wedding, as I've never really enjoyed crowds of people and am not an extrovert. 

Your wedding must-have: A princess dress. :) I'm very girly. 

Your wedding "I could do without...": A fancy DJ. Dancing is fun, but I don't need the super high energy, flashy lights, pulsating music type of experience. Just not my style. 

Color palette: Still deciding, but I know it will include either aqua blue or orange. I suppose I could do both, too. Hmm...

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Craft! Or look on Pinterest for fun diy things. 

Favorite food: Pasta or just about any dessert. 

One interesting thing about yourself: I run an Etsy shop and sell tutu dresses and headbands. Hoping to do children's jewelry soon. :)
  • Screen name: Soontobemrs2016

Wedding date: June 25, 2016 (We will be together exactly 5 years on that date!)

How your FI proposed: In front of the Bellagio Fountains show in Vegas, so romantic. I was very surprised!

Describe your wedding vision: Outdoors with lots of flowers on a beautiful lake.

Your wedding must-have: A great DJ as we love to dance!

Your wedding "I could do without...": A church ceremony, we are having our ceremony outdoors on a lake :)

Color palette: Still undecided. Open to suggestions!

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Have game nights with friends!

Favorite food: Fettucini is my go to dish

One interesting thing about yourself: I hope to start my own business one day :)
  • Screen name: ejallen8
    Wedding date: 6/26/16
    How your FI proposed: In a restaurant at Niagara Falls.
    Describe your wedding vision: Classic with traditional Jewish wedding customs.
    Your wedding must-have: A red velvet wedding cake.
    Your wedding "I could do without...": A big bachelorette party. 
    Color palette: Light green and black with red accents.
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Going to concerts.
    Favorite food: Pasta.
    One interesting thing about yourself: I love dogs (I hope to have a Siberian Husky one day)!
  • Screen name: Madhops21
    Wedding date: June 25
    How your FI proposed: At a minor league baseball game, on home plate at the end of the game when you can run the bases with everyone
    Describe your wedding vision: Flowers galore
    Your wedding must-have: Pretty dress and a fiance
    Your wedding "I could do without...": a videographer and a limo 
    Color palette: mint green and lilac
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: ride motorcycle, play video games, hang out with my bunnies
    Favorite food: MAC AND CHEEEEEEEEEESE 
    One interesting thing about yourself: I'm the pickiest eater ever 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • allyballyoopallyballyoop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    How fun!

Screen name: allyballyoop

Wedding date: June 4, 2016

How your FI proposed: I got home from a crazy day at work (we were planning on going out for dinner to celebrate our 6 year anniversary) and he was pacing around, not laying on the couch like I'd normally find him haha. He had flowers, a card and a candle burning on the dining room table, along with my favorite ice cream in a frosted martini glass. All I could say was how bad I felt for not doing anything for him because I thought we were just doing dinner. Well, I turn around and he's down on one knee in the doorway of the dining room with the ring box open. I thought it was a joke! Commence the "Are you kidding me?!" and "Are you serious?!" followed by a teary "YES!"

Describe your wedding vision: Enchanted Garden

Your wedding must-have: Personal elements throughout

Your wedding "I could do without...": Garter Toss (sorry, but he's not putting his head up there with grandparents watching!)

Color palette: Ivory for me, pale pale blue for the bridesmaids, and either gray or navy for the guys. Will bring in blush and peachy tones in flowers. And tons of greenery!

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Sing in a band with some co-workers (we have a huge employee network program at work and this is a result of the music network). SO. FUN.

Favorite food: Bolognese

One interesting thing about yourself: My 2015 goal is to learn guitar (working on it!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Screen name: tycourt "Tyler and Courtney"
    How your FI proposed: We were on vacation in Florida to go to Disney! During the fireworks show in front of Cinderella's Castle. 
    Describe your wedding vision: Simple, but still nice and elegant.
    Your wedding must-have: Great memories that I will treasure forever.
    Your wedding "I could do without...": mass amounts of people and overly fancy food that probably isn't going to taste lovely anyway!
    Color palette: Lavender, meadow green and touches of a light gray.
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Meet for coffee with friends, hike and  walk my dog.
    Favorite food: Pizza and anything Mexican! :P
    One interesting thing about yourself: My dream is to do missions  (Africa, Guatemala, anywhere really!) in the medical field. I am currently in a nursing program.
  • nddomer08nddomer08 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    Hello date twin!  @bhahn0911 
    That is such a sweet story!
    Screen name: nddomer08
    Wedding date: June 18, 2016
    How your FI proposed: After my birthday dinner outside the restaurant.
    Describe your wedding vision: Modern and simple
    Your wedding must-have: Great photography to capture the day, great music and activities, and everyone having fun
    Your wedding "I could do without...": A formal sit down dinner - I can do hor dourves or small plates all night long, and I'd enjoy that more.
    Color palette: royal/dark purple
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Watching movies
    Favorite food: Italian food
    One interesting thing about yourself: I am learning piano (on and off), and I really want to be able to play canon by my wedding.  
  • Screen name: HerMrs0623
    Wedding date: June 23,2015 (5th yr anni) && reception June 25, 2016
    How your FI proposed: It was her birthday so I planned a nice dinner with her friends and some family. She got my best friend up to MD which hasn't happened since I moved here. They came out singing the normal happy bday song & she told me she wanted to keep a smile on my face and build memories together and instead of the plate saying happy bday, it said will you marry me!! She presented me with my dream ring and of course we popped some bubbly lol
    Describe your wedding vision: simple, stress free, and fun!
    Your wedding must-have: great music!!
    Your wedding "I could do without...":drama
    Color palette:thinking some red&silver or navy&silver scheme 
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Um with what time haha
    Favorite food: FOOD!! big time foodie (pizza, mac & cheese, CARBS)
    One interesting thing about yourself: I don't like my food to touch on the plate lol
  • Ummm HEY @tycourt ! We're date twins AND it looks like proposal twins!! Congrats and welcome to everyone else!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Screen name: Marinsmomma
    Wedding date: June 4th
    How your FI proposed: Hasn't yet! We're waiting for my divorce to be final. (Even though the marriage was over 4 years ago. *sigh*)
    Describe your wedding vision: A kick ass barbecue with burlap, lace, and a few squirrel accents. Lavender and baby's breath flowers. Snickerdoodle cake. S'mores bar at the end of the night. Lakeside wedding with a lace and burlap archway. Mismatched light pink sundresses for the bridesmaids, dark jeans or khakis with white button ups and vests for the groomsman.
    Your wedding must-have: AWESOME food.
    Your wedding "I could do without...": Dancing and a DJ
    Color palette: No colors, just a rustic vibe. 
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: I'm a crafter and a cake decorator.
    Favorite food: Anything smothered in cheese and green onions
    One interesting thing about yourself: I'm a crazy cat lady. Fur sure.
  • Screen name:
    Wedding date: 06/18/16
    How your FI proposed: Adam proposed on our front porch.  Complete surprise to me since he always said he didn't want to get married again.
    Describe your wedding vision: We have both been married before.  I've done the big, formal, puffy white dress wedding.  It's not me.  It's not what I wanted the first time around and it's not at all our style.  We're planning a small, outdoor wedding with Pagan/Celtic elements and hopefully a bonfire reception.  
    Your wedding must-have: A non-traditional dress.
    Your wedding "I could do without...": A huge expensive cake.
    Color palette: Dark Green, Purple, lilac, and Turquoise
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: We love to camp and I love to craft.
    Favorite food: Sushi
    One interesting thing about yourself: Our whole story is interesting.  I'm Shannon.  I'm a 35 year old divorced mom to 2 sons (Ethan is 8 and Cullen is 5).  I teach High School Autism support in a private school for kids with severe behavioral needs.  

My fiance is Adam.  He's a 35 year old divorced dad to 1 son (Alex is 11).  He is a Behavioral Support Specialist at my school.

Our story goes way back.  Adam and I dated when we were 14, 15, 16...I actually broke up with him for one of his good friends.  We lost touch for a long time.  Life happened and we both got married and had children.  Neither of our marriages worked out.  Last summer, we started talking to each other on Facebook.  In October, I flew from Pennsylvania to Colorado to see him for the first time in 17 years.  He picked me up at the airport, kissed me and it was all over from there.  On that trip, he gave me a gorgeous heart necklace with blue and white diamonds and I haven't taken it off since.  We flew back and forth over 1700 miles every few weeks for months.  In December 2013, right before Christmas, Adam and his son drove 29 hours and moved in with my boys and me.  Adam proposed on the July 18.  Adam and I had a rocky start and almost broke up a few times in the first 7 or 8 months of our adult relationship.  It is HARD combining families and working around money issues and dealing with exspouses.  However, love was always there and we've worked a lot on our relationship.  So, here we are.

We're planning an outdoor wedding with some Pagan/Celtic elements.  No attendants other than our sons...a bonfire reception...nothing super traditional...just very much us.
  • artstuniqueartstunique member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2015
    Bumping an old thread to check in!

Wedding date: June 19, 2016

How your FI proposed: We were supposed to take the kids to the local football game but our youngest was super sick. We had just gotten home for the evening and the kids were running around and it was the usual chaos of coming home and getting settled. He walked into the living room and asked 'do the kids even WANT us to get married?' I said ' I don't know babe, ask them yourself'. We got a resounding yes. Next thing I know, Im sitting on the couch and he comes in, stands in front of me, and says 'will you be my wife?' Not how he intended but totally us!!!

Describe your wedding vision: We are getting married in San Diego at Marina Village. The ceremony is on the water with gorgeous views of the bay and the marina. I walk down the aisle after our girls, the weather is perfect, our family and friends are stoked, the vows are short and sweet. Reception in the bayview room with authentic carne asada, good music, and lots of catching up and dancing and kids running around. Like a fancy family reunion ♡>

Your wedding must-have: good food!

Your wedding "I could do without...": the stress ha!

Color palette: powder blue, mercury gray, and pops of yellow (go Chargers!)

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: read, go to concerts, rowdy friend/family dinner nights

Favorite food: carne asada

One interesting thing about yourself: I graduate in May, one month before the wedding, with my associates/RN!

• kmomac said:
    Thought it might be nice for us to get to know each other, even if there aren't many of us yet!

Screen name: Marissaskisses
    Wedding date: June 25, 2016
    How your FI proposed: The ring was hidden in a wrapped beanie that I opened in my Christmas stocking. He kept feeling his gifts prior to opening them because he knew I would mock him when it was my turn. When I started to imitate him I felt the box...My mom was in town for the holidays, it was perfect!
    Describe your wedding vision: Vintage Rockabilly Fun
    Your wedding must-have: A great time!
    Your wedding "I could do without...": Fancy Pants Food
    Color palette: Black, Persimmon Red, Peach
    Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Crafting (It has made the DIY portion of my wedding a blast!)
    Favorite food: Pasta
    One interesting thing about yourself: I'm pretty OCD about things, and I realize more the older I get hahaha

• MrsH2016MrsH2016 member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2016
    Screen name: MrsH2016

Occupation: Legal assistant and soon to be law student (fall 2016)

How your FI proposed: He proposed on Christmas night in 2014. It was a total surprise, but to make a really long story short, he made a poster with 12 reasons to marry him and had it all set up for me to see when we came home from our busy holiday weekend. There were also fake rose petals on the floor around the table that he set up. I opened the door, and there it all was!

Describe your wedding vision: Elegant and traditional

Your wedding must-have: Cupcakes for dessert and a really good DJ! Our friends and family love to dance.

Your wedding "I could do without...": Photo booth/photo props

Color palette: Apple red, horizon blue and ivory

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Yoga Sculpt and Running

Favorite food: Toss-up between chicken quesadillas and chicken Alfredo

One interesting thing about yourself: My FI, FFIL, and I ran a marathon together in 2014. It was crazy hard, but very rewarding!
  • Screen name: I forget

Wedding date: June 25, 2016

How your FI proposed: He put the ring inside a gift during a white elephant game during the Christmas holiday and manipulated the gift to get to me! 

Describe your wedding vision: We are having our wedding at church, in front of a fireplace. 

Your wedding must-have: Pearls pearls pearls!! My wedding cake will have sugar pearls, I'm gonna a beautiful pearl set and I bought my bridesmaids pearl necklaces with earrings. 

Your wedding "I could do without...": Table runners.. lol

Color palette: Gold and light pink 

Something you like to do for fun outside of wedding planning: Dance, rock climb, swim and explore the outdoors with my hubby to be. 

Favorite food: Sushi

One interesting thing about yourself: We met over Minecraft! Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards