Snarky Brides

Spinoff: wedding etiquette fails in movies/TV shows

I was just catching up on the etiquette faux-pas thread while simultaneously watching "The 40 Year Old Virgin" on TV. At the end of the movie, Steve Carrell gets married and right after the ceremony, he takes his wife to their hotel room and they have sex for 2 HOURS. Where did their guests go? Are they waiting somewhere in the reception venue or did they have to go home after the ceremony? 

So it got me thinking, what are some others you can think of? Another one that comes to mind is the episode of "Friends" where Monica throws a gross little hissy fit right after she and Chandler get engaged, when she assumes her parents have a bunch of cash saved up for her wedding and then she finds out they don't.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Spinoff: wedding etiquette fails in movies/TV shows

• The wedding in Sixteen Candles where Ginny overdoses on muscle relaxers just before the ceremony comes to mind. Basically the whole wedding was a train wreck.
  • On The Office, Jim and Pam get married on the Maid of the Mist before their church wedding and never tell their guests.
  • ^ Paul and Jamie on Mad About You also got legally married (except not really, but that's another story...) the night before their scheduled wedding. Also never told their guests. It was a last-minute, unplanned thing.

I don't remember My Best Friend's Wedding very well, but didn't that wedding span like three days? I got the impression everything was fully hosted, but who knows.
  • 27 dresses when the sister EXPECTS Jane to do everything for her?

• Kahlyla said:
    ^ Paul and Jamie on Mad About You also got legally married (except not really, but that's another story...) the night before their scheduled wedding. Also never told their guests. It was a last-minute, unplanned thing.

I don't remember My Best Friend's Wedding very well, but didn't that wedding span like three days? I got the impression everything was fully hosted, but who knows.
    Lily and Marshall on HIMYM also got married before their scheduled ceremony.
  • Most Hollywood weddings have some sort of etiquette breech.   They kind-of have to for drama or comedy.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Kahlyla said:
    ^ Paul and Jamie on Mad About You also got legally married (except not really, but that's another story...) the night before their scheduled wedding. Also never told their guests. It was a last-minute, unplanned thing.

I've seen a lot of multi-day weddings in the islands (and here in CO).   Everything was fully hosted.   BUT the extra days never seemed to be a  requirement.   

We often saw the Thursday event numbers were much lower then the actual wedding day. Then numbers went back down if they had a next day brunch.   

That suggests people picked and choose which events they would/could attend.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Sex and the City:

- not wedding, but one of Carrie's friends has a baby shower for a second or third baby
    - in the same episode, Carrie decided to show said friend by "marrying herself" and promptly calling said friend, telling her as much, and telling her where's she's registered (which is Manolo Blahnik, for shoes). There were reasons, and the other friend was basically more wrong, but still.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    In Four Weddings and a Funeral, the wedding in which Carrie and Hirmish get married, at the reception it looks like there are hardly any seats and it is very crowded.
  • Oh God... I just remembered April and Andy's wedding on Parks and Rec. Where do I start...?
  • banana468 said:
    On The Office, Jim and Pam get married on the Maid of the Mist before their church wedding and never tell their guests.
    OMG I totally forgot about that! Good call.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Wasn't there an episode of HIMYM where Marshall and Lily were thisclose to getting legally married on a boat before their wedding?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• peachy13 said:
    So it got me thinking, what are some others you can think of? Another one that comes to mind is the episode of "Friends" where Monica throws a gross little hissy fit right after she and Chandler get engaged, when she assumes her parents have a bunch of cash saved up for her wedding and then she finds out they don't.
    That, and there was some shuffling of groomsmen at Phoebe and Mike's wedding, I believe. I remember one of the weddings had some WP replacements tossed around.
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I've been re-binging on "Gilmore Girls", as the last time I saw it was 2007.

Anyway, I just watched the episode in which Emily and Richard refer to a B-list invitation as a "pity invite" and explain why it's so rude. I wanted to high-five her. I wish I could capture that portion of the episode and link the video in every B-list thread.

ugh edit because video embed not working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puyd3UEWu2U

• I've been re-binging on "Gilmore Girls", as the last time I saw it was 2007.

Anyway, I just watched the episode in which Emily and Richard refer to a B-list invitation as a "pity invite" and explain why it's so rude. I wanted to high-five her. I wish I could capture that portion of the episode and link the video in every B-list thread.

Perfect! Thank you. :)
  • I've been re-binging on "Gilmore Girls", as the last time I saw it was 2007.

Perfect! Thank you. :)
    I adore Gilmore Girls and this is awesome. Please, do plop it on every "B list?" post! 

• Wasn't there an episode of HIMYM where Marshall and Lily were thisclose to getting legally married on a boat before their wedding?

I think the boat almost-wedding was before they planned a big wedding. I could be remembering that wrong though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The episode in Friends where Ross marries Emily: 
    1. They get married in a building that was in the process of being demolished (how was there even electric for all those lights). 
    2. Joey is holding out his cell phone the whole ceremony so Phoebe could hear. 
    3. Ross says the wrong girls name, Emily proceeds to marry him, then runs away during the reception. 
  • In The Princess and the Frog, they got married as frogs, which then turned them human again.  But after that, they "got married" again with all their family, if memory serves.
  • In "Bride Wars" Kate Hudson's character kicks her best friend out of the WP and then tries to hire someone to be her new MOH because she needs someone that will do a lot of stuff for her. (She named a few people who could potentially replace her best friend but whoever she was talking to said they weren't good options because they wouldn't do enough) 
  • In "Bride Wars" Kate Hudson's character kicks her best friend out of the WP and then tries to hire someone to be her new MOH because she needs someone that will do a lot of stuff for her. (She named a few people who could potentially replace her best friend but whoever she was talking to said they weren't good options because they wouldn't do enough) 
    LOL I was about to say Bride Wars than cite basically the entire movie.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards