Chit Chat

Kitchen appliances - am I being crazy?

2»

Re: Kitchen appliances - am I being crazy?

• Especially if you think you may upgrade them all in a year or so, just get the SS one. It is such a waste of money getting one to match the other appliances, even if you get a used one.
  • @lyndausvi For years I used the stupid, cheap Walmart rack (no dishwasher) and we had dish towels underneath it that were constantly soaked and moldy. About, 2 months ago I saw yours (or one very similar) in the store and I remembered you raving about it so I said F it and bought it. The thing is amazing and I can't believe I went so long without it!!!!!

• Thanks guys. I'm really going to push for the dishwasher we want right now. There are just too many other things we want to do with the house that I want to save as much as possible and be smart with our money so we can do more, quicker.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• jenna8984 said:
    @lyndausvi For years I used the stupid, cheap Walmart rack (no dishwasher) and we had dish towels underneath it that were constantly soaked and moldy. About, 2 months ago I saw yours (or one very similar) in the store and I remembered you raving about it so I said F it and bought it. The thing is amazing and I can't believe I went so long without it!!!!!

H says it's ridiculous to spend that much money on a dish rack :( We have no dishwasher so I really don't think it's that outrageous. I may just come home with it one day and revel in being right once he realizes how awesome it is.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    jenna8984 said:
    @lyndausvi For years I used the stupid, cheap Walmart rack (no dishwasher) and we had dish towels underneath it that were constantly soaked and moldy. About, 2 months ago I saw yours (or one very similar) in the store and I remembered you raving about it so I said F it and bought it. The thing is amazing and I can't believe I went so long without it!!!!!

H says it's ridiculous to spend that much money on a dish rack :( We have no dishwasher so I really don't think it's that outrageous. I may just come home with it one day and revel in being right once he realizes how awesome it is.
    It's so worth the money if you do not have dishwasher.   You use that thing EVERY SINGLE DAY.  It's doesn't rust, the tray drips all the water away. No sloppy, soaked towels.  The tray is easy to pull out and clean.    The knife block protects your knives and is safe for your hands.  It's large enough and strong enough for a  lot of dishes, including large pots.  And it looks nice sitting on the counter (ours always sits on the counter).

$80 is a lot, but operational costs of a dishwasher is a lot more.    I think it's well worth the money.

This is our 2nd one. We sold the first one with our condo in the islands.   We first got a cheap one in NOLA.  After a month we were both like "fuck this" and went to BBB (hello 20% off coupons) and got a new SimleHuman one.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks guys. I'm really going to push for the dishwasher we want right now. There are just too many other things we want to do with the house that I want to save as much as possible and be smart with our money so we can do more, quicker.
    Another thing you might want to use to help persuade H is that dishwashers are often sold by the decible.  So if he just wants to get an inexpensive black one so it matches, it will probably be very loud. 
  • I am just realizing that the appliances in my parent's house don't match. In fact I don't think they've ever matched. My Mom remodeled the main floor/kitchen area about 10 years ago and didn't get matching appliances. The fridge is white, the dishwasher is stainless, and the oven is black. I guess it doesn't bother me at all.

I would also go for the more cost effective plan. Sure you may be able to resell the dishwasher, but how much will you get for it when you do? Some used items never match their original value.
  • When we moved into our house the appliances were white and it didn't have a refrigerator. I knew eventually we wanted to upgrade to stainless so we bought a stainless fridge knowing that eventually we want to change everything out.. we have now done the dishwasher but still haven't done the stove/oven. It honestly doesn't bother me at all that they don't match right now, they all work just fine.. it's totally up to you and what you can live with!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Didn't read what other people offered, but I did what you wanted to do. Started out with all white appliances. House needed a fridge, so we bought stainless. Then we bought a dishwasher we found on sale some time later. Next, we ran a gas line and replaced the electric stove with a stainless one. And finally, the microwave. I think it probably took us two years total to do, but it isn't as if they were doing any Interiod Design magazine cover shoots inside my kitchen during that time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards