Attire & Accessories Forum

Experience with Mori Lee Bridesmaid Dresses?

Hi everyone! I am a bridesmaid for a wedding happening on mid November 2015. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Mori Lee bridesmaids dresses... Style 696 (lace with satin tie sash) to be exact; if not that same style, at least the same brand, Mori Lee.

I'm planning to lose more weight by the time the wedding happens, but the bride wants to order them by the end of March to adjust for the times for shipping and tailoring...
  • How should I measure myself if I'm still losing weight? I know that there will be probably two fittings, but I don't want the dress to be too big now and then come tailoring it'll look awkward if tailored for a much smaller size.
  • Should I order the dress as the same exact measurements as I have now?  Or should I order one size smaller than my measurements (knowing I'm losing more weight)?
  • Has it been hard to tailor this dress (because it's lace)? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! =] Attached is the dress, but it will be a different color.

imageimageimage

Re: Experience with Mori Lee Bridesmaid Dresses?

• Last year i was a BM 6 weeks after I had a baby. Typically, I would have ordered a size 6, but we ordered a size 10. Guess who didn't fit into her dress with 4 weeks until the wedding?! I had to scramble to find a bridal shop who was willing to alter my dress, add a panel in the back, add a lace up and take out the zipper. (the place we ordered from was too far away for me and the lady was kind of crazy and told me she couldn't alter it so i had to look elsewhere). I paid almost as much in alterations as I did for the dress itself. I didn't plan on gaining so much weight during the pregnancy but hey, ice cream exists. 
    So if I were you, i would order no more than one size down. You may plan to lose a great amount of weight, but BM dresses are tricky so i'd play it safe. It's easier to take a dress in one extra time than try to let it out, or add fabric. Also, you want to be COMFORTABLE. If comfort means an extra 5 lbs, then so be it. Also, they can typically turn it around in 5-7 days if they know they are on a deadline. 
    RE: the lace - any good tailor will manage alterations and i wouldn't worry about it. 
  • gowns run extreemely small bridal and bridesmaid. my bridal gown was a mori lee and i had to go up 3 sizes and when it came in the bust was way to big but the waist fit perfect.   when we picked out the maids dresses. 4 of my maids were out of state i asked them to get measured or measure themselves

out of all my  maids only one dress did not fit it would not zip up all the way i was freeking out because it was two months till the wedding.   maid ended up loosing some weight and the dress fit perfect 

i would order your size now so it can be altered you can take the risk and order one size down but what if it does not fit. i almost did that with my gown but i ended up loosing less than i wanted to so if i had ordered the smaller size my gown would have not fit me 
  • I would recommend ordering the size you are now as these dress fit very small. I was a bridesmaid for my brother's wedding in Oct 2013 and wore grape purple chiffon Mori Lee bridesmaid dress - strapless, with ruching. I ordered the dress according to my measurements that day and had a freakout when I went to pick up and try on the dress because the ladies had trouble zipping it up.
    The issue was to do with the dress being brand new, the zipper being very stiff and stubborn and most important, the employee who handled the dress was incompetent. She had the dress positioned too high which caused the dress to be very snug and create unsightly back cleavage (which she made fun of me for - yes, what an employee!)
    That being said my dress size is usually 10 and I ordered a 14. They recommended I not go with a 16 because the bust would be too large. I had it altered slightly for length and it worked out.
    After being together for over 11 years and being engaged for over 3 years, we finally got hitched!
  • My bridesmaids just picked our their dresses this weekend and they are Mori Lee 721..

The sizes are ridiculous - I say the bigger the better, it will always be easier for them to take the dress in then out. 

I had 3 of my bridesmaids there - one is a street size 12 and they had her order a size 22 (which of course is $100 extra) ridiculous - the other two are a street size 6 and she got a size 16 and the other is a street size 10 and she got a 18. The sizes are so totally off ...

I would order the dress with what size you are at now - they can ALWAYS take it in, and god forbid you dont loose as much weight as you want (I HOPE YOU DO, but we all know sometimes it happens) you arent stuck with a dress you cannot get on!!!

Good luck! 

xo
  • I had the 696 dress for my bridesmaids in Eggplant!  It was great and looked good on every girl - all different sizes and shapes!

I agree with the other opinions on here - definitely go with the size you are now, not with the size that you think you will be.  

All of my girls got their dresses altered at the shop we bought the dresses at.  The alterations were fairly straightforward, and the seamstresses did not fret that the dresses were made of lace - they just treated the lace as regular fabric.  Even the alterations for my niece (she's 12 and super tiny) were the standard price even though they needed to take the dress in a lot, everywhere, so again, definitely go with the size you are now, they can always take it in!!

• My bridesmaids just picked our their dresses this weekend and they are Mori Lee 721..

The sizes are ridiculous - I say the bigger the better, it will always be easier for them to take the dress in then out. 

I had 3 of my bridesmaids there - one is a street size 12 and they had her order a size 22 (which of course is $100 extra) ridiculous - the other two are a street size 6 and she got a size 16 and the other is a street size 10 and she got a 18. The sizes are so totally off ...

OMG I would probably have a heart attack if I had to pay an extra $100 for a BM dress because their sizes are so stupid.  That comment isn't directed to you at all but rather that's complete BS of the designer/store. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around it being that off
  • @kvruns isnt it disgusting - i ran into this problem when I was ordering my wedding dress as well. I am a street size 8 and ordered a size 18. I asked my bridal consultant why do they do this, because of all times in a womans life, this is most likely the one she is trying to be the most fit (at least I am) she said she knew it was discouraging but the designers do it because starting at a 16 or 18 or 20 is plus size where they have to charge more, the smaller they cut the dresses, the more people will be plus size, the more money they will make. 

Sick! 

• @kvruns isnt it disgusting - i ran into this problem when I was ordering my wedding dress as well. I am a street size 8 and ordered a size 18. I asked my bridal consultant why do they do this, because of all times in a womans life, this is most likely the one she is trying to be the most fit (at least I am) she said she knew it was discouraging but the designers do it because starting at a 16 or 18 or 20 is plus size where they have to charge more, the smaller they cut the dresses, the more people will be plus size, the more money they will make. 

Sick! 

do they even make sizes big enough for a true plus size then?
  • kvruns they only go up to a size 28 - I can only assume that that is most likely a street size 18! 
  • So weird! I'm a street size 10 but was able to fit in to size 12 gowns at all the stores I tried on at. Of course, I know they probably fit different because they had been tried on a lot but no way it would have made the 4-6 size difference you ladies saw!
  • You need to order the size that will fit the largest measurement you have now (often this is the waist size because bridal sizing still seems to be based on bodies that all wore shaping garments). You don't know where you will or will not lose inches. If you have a good seamstress she should be able to take the dress in as necessary.
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2015

My bridesmaids just picked our their dresses this weekend and they are Mori Lee 721..

I would order the dress with what size you are at now - they can ALWAYS take it in, and god forbid you dont loose as much weight as you want (I HOPE YOU DO, but we all know sometimes it happens) you arent stuck with a dress you cannot get on!!!

Good luck! 
    xo
    are you insane i would have never went with those sizes. my bm ordered there gowns from jasmine but they were all street size 2-8 and the highest size we ordered was a size 12 yes a size 12. i had 6 maids and one moh sizes we ordered were one four two size 6s two size 8s one 10 and a 12 

my gown was a mori lee i am a street size 20-24 depending on the cut of the pants/ shir.t  sample i tried on was a 22 i was only 5 inches bigger than the sample i measured at a 28 but i have a really small bust. salon told me to order the in between size which was a 26 dress came in and the only issues with fit was the bust which was huge on me and the length of course since i am 5'0.

there is no way your salon should have ordered those dresses in those sizes they are totally way off your dresses will come in and they will fall right off of your girls.

they should have only went up two sizes your size 12 girl should have gotten a 16 your size 6 should have gotten a ten and your other maid should have gotten a size 14
    my maids almost went with a mori lee we even one of my maids measured to see how the sizes ran for that dress maid was a size 2 and she measured at a size 6 for the mori lee 

your salon is taking advantage of you for more alterations and by the time they are done the  structure of the dress will not be the same and the dress will come in ruined. your salon also is ripping you off with the 100 charge for plus sizes i believe my salon or someone told me mori lee in plus for maids would be like 40 dollars extra.

i also tried on plenty of bridal gowns at davids i was my street size cuz they ran that way. at other places i was a 26-28 depending on the cut of the dress

• The size they order is based off of the largest measurement on your body. 

For example - my MOH that is a street size 6 - is also a 38DD - so that measurement fit with a size 16. The sample in the store was a size 10 and she couldnt even zipper it - and thats what you are saying by two sizes up... here is the photo of her in it - with my mom holding it closed so we can try and see what it will look like... 

So maybe you have your girls have perfect proportions - but for mine - they all jumped many sizes and I know I am not getting ripped off because the sample was there - and she couldnt even kind of zip it closed.  

• I went with Mori Lee Style 713 in navy and the sizes are ridiculous.
    My maid of honor who normally wears a size 10 tried on the 14 that they had in the store ( thankfully it was that size because it was the only one they had ) it fit PERFECTLY but they still said she should order the 16 "just in case"

Bridal sizes are so whack! I am normally a street size 12 and for my Maggie Sottero wedding gown I had to get a 16.  I compared my measurements for my wedding gown to the Mori Lee size chart and it said I would be a 22.

• All of my BMs for Mori Lee were 2 sizes up from their normal street size.  This is fairly normal for bridal designers.  

• Email Pearl's Place for their sizing tips and the size chart. I am in a wedding tomorrow with Bill Levkoff dresses and the chart and the fitting tips helped all of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards