Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Can I cut the fruit in addition to cake?

In your opinion, would adding a fruit platter at the same time as the cake make a big difference at a reception? I had initially thought about doing it because it would be nice to have it as an option for anyone who wanted something lighter at the end of the night. However, my food budget is a little stretched and I'm wondering if I could cut it. I have no personal experience with this because every reception I've been to when it comes time for cake I'm usually way too busy dancing and/or too full to think about eating (actually, I can't even remember the last time I had cake or any other dessert at a wedding).

Re: Can I cut the fruit in addition to cake?

• I'm confused by your post.  Did you want to cut out the fruit platter or the cake?  Or did you want to have a fruit platter instead of a cake?

You could always cut the cake before sitting down to dinner.  That way the cake can be served immediately after dinner. 

• You're doing the lemon cake with raspberry preserves, right? That's a pretty "light" flavored cake. I don't think you need fruit at all. If anyone doesn't want a heavy dessert, they're just going to not take a piece of cake or they'll just eat half of their piece. 

Since your food budget is already stretched thin, I wouldn't be offering additional stuff. Keep it easy, keep it simple. 

This.  Also, everytime your lemon cake with raspberry preserves is brought up my mouth waters. yum......
  • You're doing the lemon cake with raspberry preserves, right? That's a pretty "light" flavored cake. I don't think you need fruit at all. If anyone doesn't want a heavy dessert, they're just going to not take a piece of cake or they'll just eat half of their piece. 

Since your food budget is already stretched thin, I wouldn't be offering additional stuff. Keep it easy, keep it simple. 
    Yes! Good memory!

Oh my god that cake was so good. I finalized the order last weekend...

The cake is definitely staying. I think I'll skip the fruit. I just needed someone to give me permission to do so - thanks!
  • Cake all the way!

Yes! Good memory!

Oh my god that cake was so good. I finalized the order last weekend...

The cake is definitely staying. I think I'll skip the fruit. I just needed someone to give me permission to do so - thanks!
    Ohh yumm. We're doing a fluffy vanilla cake with lemon and raspberry filling, so same general idea. My brother had this as one of the cake options at his reception and it was AMAZING. It's a really light cake option, so really no need to add fruit. 
  • I honestly thought this post was going to be about you wanting to do a ceremonial fruit cutting in addition to the cake cutting.  I was hella confused.

Now I just want your cake.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards