Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Outfit for Bride when Shower is a Surprise

rachiee518rachiee518 member
First Comment First Anniversary
edited March 2015 in Pre-wedding Parties
I know when my bridal shower is and only my fiance knows that I know (the party is at his house). On the weekends, I typically wear sweats and throw my hair up in a wet bun. I don't want anyone else at the party, including my mom and bridesmaids to know that I know and I want to come across as surprised. So if I show up to the bridal shower in a white dress with my hair done, how do I come across surprised? Or at least be convincing that I didn't totally know when the party was? 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated to help me tiptoe through this situation. Thanks!

Re: Bridal Shower Outfit for Bride when Shower is a Surprise

• Ugh. Just let them know you that you know. The surprise was blown - and trust me no matter how much you fake it, it will be obvious that you aren't surprised.
  • I don't think there's any way you could do that without blowing it.

You don't have to wear a white dress, or even a dress at all. When is your shower? If in the fall/winter, I'd wear a casual dress with leggings and boots. If in the spring/summer, I'd wear a sun dress or maxi with a cardigan. Shouldn't look super obvious then. I'm a sweats/pony kind of weekend person too, so something in between white dress and sweats would be believable. 

People will say "were you surprised?" You have to decide how to respond to that. If you don't want to lie, you could say, "I had a feeling, but...oh wow! Aunt Betty, so good to see you! This is so great! Thank y'all so much!" Not really lying...
    *********************************************************************************

• rachiee518rachiee518 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2015
    That's a great idea - my shower is scheduled for this Saturday so I'll go shopping for a casual dress with a leggings/boot combo.

I love the way you worded the response to the "were you surprised?". That wording is exactly what I was looking for so thanks so much! @southernbelle0915
  • And this is why I think surprise showers are dumb.

What do you wear if you were,going out shopping?  Or going to grab lunch with a friend?  Whatever that is, wear that.

• Ugh, this is one of the reasons I hate surprise showers.

How are they getting you to go to the location? Surely the host would plan some reason for you to come over that would prompt you to dress like you would be out in public?

•  If you would normally show up there in sweats with a wet bun, then still do that.  He could say he got into your closet and "stole" an outfit for you to change into once you got to the party or you could get a new outfit, leave it at his house and he can say he bought it for you as part of the surprise,  and you could change after everybody yells "surprise!"
  • I have a degree in theatre and I would never even attempt to act surprised at a party I had already found out about. That's just guaranteed to not come across as genuine. I would tell them I knew before the party.
  • Scenario 1: You schedule your hair/makeup trial for the morning of the shower. You're wearing a white dress because you want to see how it looks.

Scenario 2: Your fi told you he was taking you to an upscale restaurant for lunch/dinner, so you dressed accordingly. This means your fi has to pick you up and take you to your shower. He takes you back to his place because he thinks he left the iron on.

Your fi did the right thing when he told you about the surprise.

• I'd show up wearing a cute dress with my hair looking nice and makeup. And I sit to anyone that asks that obviously I always look that fabulous!
  • I would just tell them that you know.  If you really do not want to tell them I would ask your FI or a friend to bring a nicer change of clothes for you to change into.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having a "surprise" shower thrown for me as well. FI told me his mom was throwing me one and I'm super glad he did because I'm going to want to look nice.

That said, my definition of "nice" based on the venue (our complex club house) will most likely be just a sundress with light makeup done, which I don't think anyone would really question.
  • Surprise showers suck and are extremely overrated. How is one supposed to prepare for a shower that they know nothing about? I'm a little bitter because no one bothered to confirm dates with me when my shower was booked so they are lucky they picked a day that I am actually available. My shower is a suprise but they didn't bother putting SURPRISE on the invite so a lot of people have told me about getting the invites. Not to mention my FH and my mom spilled the beans because keeping it a surprise was futile. So now I get to be properly prepared for the hell... I mean shower... which was a big concern for me. I'll still be surprised about the actual shower but I do know about it in advance. I'd be royally pissed if no one told me and I didn't get to dress up and mentally prepare myself for hours of estrogen hell.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards