Favors

Unsure about my idea

It seems I'm in the minority here, I don't much like edible favors. I like making things, and I was hoping my idea would work. It would be a little like snow globes, but with glitter instead. I was thinking I could take mason jars, and put either red or black (our colors) glitter inside, then fill them with water and glue the top on tight. Then whichever color wasn't used for glitter, I was planning on putting ribbon in that color around the jar for extra decoration, possibly with our wedding date or initials written on either the ribbon or jar lid. We don't have the money for any super cool favors, and my fiancé and I, as well as the librarian that I talk to for planning, all liked that idea. What do you all think?

Re: Unsure about my idea

• It seems I'm in the minority here, I don't much like edible favors. I like making things, and I was hoping my idea would work. It would be a little like snow globes, but with glitter instead. I was thinking I could take mason jars, and put either red or black (our colors) glitter inside, then fill them with water and glue the top on tight. Then whichever color wasn't used for glitter, I was planning on putting ribbon in that color around the jar for extra decoration, possibly with our wedding date or initials written on either the ribbon or jar lid. We don't have the money for any super cool favors, and my fiancé and I, as well as the librarian that I talk to for planning, all liked that idea. What do you all think?

Just skip it. You don't need the favors. Put the money somewhere else. Honestly, while I love a good snow globe, I wouldn't really care for one. 

• Personally, I would just skip it. I do not like knick knacks at all, so I would probably take it and end up throwing it out very shortly after. I think you would be better off just not having favours.
  • Agree - just skip the favors.  When something gathers dust at home, it goes.  I honestly never take wedding favors that will collect dust (hoping Great Aunt Bertha is hoping for an extra of whatever it is).  Now, throw me some hershey's kisses, and that is a different story.  While I adore good quality expensive chocolate me and Hershey's go way back.
  • Don't bother with the favors - very few people will care to have it. Put that money towards making your reception a kickass thank you to everyone.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    1.  A favor is a THANK YOU gift to your guest.  So, even if you don't like edible favors, what will the majority of your guests like?  The favor is about them, not about you.

2.  If you don't go edible, then at least go useful.  I would take a box of matches or a keychain any day of the week over a mason jar full of glitter (I would not, however, take those items if they were blatantly advertising your names and wedding and even my suggestions don't thrill me all that much - I might still leave them on the table.)

3.  Favors aren't required, so if your budget is tight then skip them.  No one will remember you not having favors.

Edible favors are popular and routinely suggested for a reason...they are a crowdpleaser, you'll have an easy time getting rid of the leftovers if there are a few who don't like them because the people who do like them will gladly take them off their hands, and people aren't stuck with a non-functional knick-knack that gathers dust. Truthfully, if I was at a wedding with those as the favor, I wouldn't
    even take it with me.  If I did take it, it's probably not going to be
    very long before I toss it.
  • I would skip this, honestly. It sounds like a waste of time and money. Only a few people would want a snow globe. Personally, it would not be something I would really want to take home.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Sorry but if I were a guest at your wedding that DIYd snow globe would either be left at the venue or quickly tossed once I got home.  There is a reason why we suggest edible favors and why edible favors are liked by the majority.  That is because you give your guests a nice treat to eat on the way home and they aren't left with some random knick-knack that they have zero idea what to do with.

• Total honesty? I have on fucking clue what I'd do with this thing. But I'm pretty sure it'd end up at goodwill.

If you want to make a mason jar snow globe in your wedding colors for you then by all means make one. If you think you'd enjoy making it, would like to look at it, and want it in your home, then yes, make it. For you. Not for your guests. Your guests aren't you.
  • edited March 2015
    I'm not trying to be mean, but I honestly would throw that in the garbage as soon as I got home. Or I would leave it on the table. I really have no use for something like that, and I don't need a nicknack in my home collecting dust. 

ETA: You can skip doing favors. I don't know why you don't like edible favors, because most people I know seem to like them. 
  • If you like to DIY and you want to make a momento snow globe with a mason jar, do it! But just for yourself. 

Your guests will be polite about this, but I can guarantee nobody wants a snow globe thing with your initials and wedding date on it. I'd be surprised if there's one person who keeps this longer than a month before tossing it. 

So you would waste all that money and time on something people don't want or care about. If I were you, I'd make one for myself (if that's your thing) and then use the saved money on our honeymoon or for another passed app.
    *********************************************************************************

• I wouldn't even take it home. I would leave it on the table.

Save your money.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Skip it.  I would never take a DIY snow globe.  We don't keep knick knacks in the house.  I would especially not want something with someone else's wedding colors, names, date, etc.  We suggest edible for a reason....they are generally crowd pleasers.  There's a good chance your librarian is just being kind by saying it's a good idea.
  • A mason jar full of wet glitter?  I wouldn't be caught dead with that in my house, even if it wasn't also covered with your initials/wedding date.

• I think a little bag of Hershey's kisses or jelly beans would be much, much, better.
    And I don't even like Hershey's. 

Is there something inside, like inside an actual snow globe, or just wet glitter? 
    Not that it would change my mind, I still wouldn't want a black and red mason jar snow globe, just wondering.
  • I'm with everyone else. I would have no idea what to do with this, and it would promptly go in the trash. It sounds like your heart is in the right place, but I don't know what you think your guests are going to do with this?
  • edited June 2015
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    KatWAG said:

I wouldn't even take it home. I would leave it on the table.

Save your money.

This, exactly. I wouldn't take it, because I have no use or desire for it.

Whether you like edible favors or not is totally not the point. Favors are for your guests, not you.

• esstee33 said:

KatWAG said:

I wouldn't even take it home. I would leave it on the table.

Save your money.

This, exactly. I wouldn't take it, because I have no use or desire for it.

Whether you like edible favors or not is totally not the point. Favors are for your guests, not you.

QFT

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• OP, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. I obviously don't know you guests, but I thought about my guests and their homes. I could picture maybe one or two who might keep something like this. Maybe. My cousin plays hockey and his favors were hockey pucks with their name and date. I thought it was adorable! Still threw it the fuck away. 

FWIW, my MIL bought votives and slapped stickers with our names and date on it. Even I didn't want one of those cheap-ass things. The box of them (because maybe 3 were taken) is in the garage. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards