Outdoor Weddings

Church and Outdoor wedding

It's very important that my fiancee and I are married in a catholic church. A catholic priest will only marry us in a church and it's very hard to convince him and the bishop to marry us outside the church. it would be important to me and my family that I stay with Catholic tradition. But we also have dreamed of an outdoor wedding and found a beautiful venue for that. We were thinking of doing a small intimate church wedding in the evening before the wedding for those that wanted to be a part of it (maybe no bridal or grooms parties to make it simple) and then do the rehearsal dinner and the next day have our outdoor wedding for all of our family and friends with the big reception afterwards.  Has anyone done this before? What would I wear to the church wedding? I know it has to be appropriate for church but I don't want it to be the same dress I wear for the outdoor wedding. I want the church dress to be simple and respectful and the outdoor one to be "the first look" kind of dress that wows me. I would love to hear that someone else had to go through this too! 

Re: Church and Outdoor wedding

• It's very important that my fiancee and I are married in a catholic church. A catholic priest will only marry us in a church and it's very hard to convince him and the bishop to marry us outside the church. it would be important to me and my family that I stay with Catholic tradition. But we also have dreamed of an outdoor wedding and found a beautiful venue for that. We were thinking of doing a small intimate church wedding in the evening before the wedding for those that wanted to be a part of it (maybe no bridal or grooms parties to make it simple) and then do the rehearsal dinner and the next day have our outdoor wedding for all of our family and friends with the big reception afterwards.  Has anyone done this before? What would I wear to the church wedding? I know it has to be appropriate for church but I don't want it to be the same dress I wear for the outdoor wedding. I want the church dress to be simple and respectful and the outdoor one to be "the first look" kind of dress that wows me. I would love to hear that someone else had to go through this too! 

Only get married once, so if you do the church wedding your outdoor wedding would be a fake one. Its misleading to guests and pointless since you'll already be married.

Its a tough decision - we went through something very similar. We ended up deciding to get married outside, but in your case, it sounds like religion is more important to you. If I were in your shoes, I would have the church wedding and have an outdoor reception. Of course you'd have to pick a time of year where that's feasible and you'd need a plan B in case of bad weather. But you'd need a plan B anyway if you planned to have the wedding outside.
    *********************************************************************************

• You should put XP in the title of your posts of you plan to post the same thing on multiple boards (Customs & Traditions)

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• You won't get any different answers on this board than you got on the other one.  If you want a Catholic wedding, then you must do it the Catholic way.  No fake weddings to follow.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If the Catholic wedding is important to you, why wouldn't you want that to be the one and only wedding?   Have the Catholic wedding in a church and an outdoor reception to follow in the beautiful venue  you found.  You pick one or the other....what is more important to you?  You're religion or a venue?  
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    Could you find another priest to marry you? I knew priests in our Diocese that did outdoor weddings, but it depended on which church they were with.

If you aren't set on a specific priest, try and find one who will marry you outside. 

Edit: Spelling
  • Zombie thread. Closing.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards