Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for "specialty" cocktail glassware - how many?

Hi ladies...

I did a bit of searching for this topic but couldn't find anything in the forums.  We are just rounding out our registry, and I'm getting stuck on the glassware.  I love glasses (weird) so I'm trying to reign it in a bit and not have 7000 different sets of glassware on the registry.  We have the basic everyday rocks/highballs, and the white/red wine glasses.

However, we are adding some fun things like margarita glasses (my favorite cocktail, will get more use than I am comfortable discussing) and moscow mule mugs(also love and think these rule).  How many of these should we register for?  I certainly wouldn't match the number of wine glasses (which equal number of place settings, so 12) but I think something like 4 is too few.  Does 6 make sense?

Would love some insight/opinions, and also a "you're really overthinking this one" if it applies :)  Thank you!

Re: Registering for "specialty" cocktail glassware - how many?

• Personally, I would register for 12. Unless you're getting plastic, stuff breaks and it can be next to impossible to find a match several years down the road.
    *********************************************************************************

• aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015
    This may seem silly but my first thought was storage. I know that some glasses can be stacked etc but some just take up a lot of space. You will probably be getting lots of new kitchen items and space will run at a premium.

I think 12 sounds a bit high if you and your FI do not host lots of parties with people who also like these drinks. If you both do host a lot of parties and see yourself needing 12 then go for it.
  • It depends on how often you think you'll use them, and if you'll use them when you have people over, or really just for you and your FI.  However, there's nothing wrong with registering for 12 of each, if you don't get them all, oh well - if you do, then awesome!  
  • Thanks ladies!  Yes, space is an issue.  Things like margarita glasses tend to take up a lot of it.  Glasses do break so registering for extra is a great point - but also we don't throw parties very often so they would really be used for small get-togethers when we invite a few friends for dinner or just for us.  

I guess I just didn't know what was typical... I'd like to avoid being side-eyed if I have 12 pieces of like 8 different kinds of glasses on our registry :)

• 12 pint glasses, 12 highball glasses, 12 champagne flutes, and 4 each of everything else.  You can drink margaritas out of highball glasses.  Not everything needs to be in the proper glass.  We like our stemless martini glasses for most cocktails.  Personally, I adore the mismatched look, so I'm totally okay with finding something cute at a thrift store if I break one of my four margarita glasses.  There are actually quite a few glasses that we use regularly that we only have two of.  
  • Thanks, @adk19 !  Good philosophy.  Did you do 4 each for wine too?  Definitely agree not everything needs to be in the proper glass... i.e. we rarely drink martinis so we aren't registering for martini glasses, but we'll figure it out if the need arises.  I do love a cocktail in a double/rocks glass :)

Great point about not worrying about matching them later if they break because we can always find mismatched ones to coordinate.

• Thanks, @adk19 !  Good philosophy.  Did you do 4 each for wine too?  Definitely agree not everything needs to be in the proper glass... i.e. we rarely drink martinis so we aren't registering for martini glasses, but we'll figure it out if the need arises.  I do love a cocktail in a double/rocks glass :)

Great point about not worrying about matching them later if they break because we can always find mismatched ones to coordinate.
    I don't drink a lot of wine, so I only have four white wine glasses and only one red wine glass.  (I actually do have other red wine glasses but they actually have red bowls, so it's hard to see the wine which most people like to see when they're drinking wine.)  We actually have Far Too Many beer glasses in every shape imaginable, so I get the obsession with glassware.  But we also have a full bar in the basement with lots of extra storage for lots of extra glasses.  Back in the day when I had a roommate, we'd go to thrift stores and pick up any pretty stemware we could find.  My roommate then threw a red wine party.  She got most of the glasses in the "divorce".
  • I would think about how often you gather and how many friends are typically at these gatherings. I have a tight-knit group of 7 girls that get together nearly weekly for drinks/dinner at each others houses - so if I were to have specialty glassware for say, martini night, I'd want at least 8, but if this group were 4 people, I'd only get 4 glasses....

Sadly, I have the teeniest kitchen on the planet, and such limited storage, so I can't have much fun glassware.
  • I generally do 6-8 for all my glassware. 

Once we have our own house and I'll look into getting 8-12.

Anniversary
  • are you registering for china/crystal/fancy place settings?  If so, I would register for 12 (or however many place setting you want, I think 12 is pretty standard) of all those fancy glasses just so you will ideally have complete sets of the fancy stuff.  I think if you don't entertain much you don't need 12 of the "Fun" glasses because like PP's mentioned, not everything has to be out of proper glass.  It still doesn't hurt to register for 12 of everything though - you can always take them back if you decide you don't have room or won't use them as much as you thought!
  • Thanks ladies!  @casadena - We aren't doing fancy china/crystal/silver.  We don't entertain like that in my circle/family so I know it would just collect dust.  We registered for "nice" china and flatware, but not "fancy".  We did do 12 place settings and of the basic glassware (wine/rocks/highballs).  I agree that since we don't entertain THAT often, we should probably keep the fun glassware counts lower.

Thanks for the advice!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards