New York-New York City

Rings, and the subway

My question is for the public transportation divas...

Do you wear your ring every day on the subway? I have read that people just turn their ring around so that the stone is on the inside of your hand. To me, this doesn't seem THAT much safer. I also think that if I took it off and put it in my bag or pocket, that it could be stolen just as easily. I'm wondering if there is a solution to this that I have missed? 

Re: Rings, and the subway

• alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I often turn my ring around if I'm the slightest bit uncomfortable, but in your case it sounds like its best not to wear it when you're going to work.

Also, look into insuring it. This is always a good idea, although less comforting if your ring is a family heirloom or otherwise "unreplaceable." I was able to insure mine with a simple rider added to my homeowners insurance.

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    My ring is insured, so I wear it everywhere.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I take the 6 train every day within Manhattan and I turn it around about 80% of the time. For me it's not a matter of it getting stolen (it is insured) it is more a matter of not drawing attention to myself. A little irrational I know, but I have been attacked on the subway platform before.
  • kttestkttest member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do wear my ring everyday, I try not to keep my hands out too much, I do feel a little uncomfortable at times.  I agree with PPs definitely make sure you insure your ring.
  • edited December 2011
    i wear my ring every day and don't bother turning it around on the train, mostly because my diamond is rather small (but big enough for me!) so won't attract attention. but i'm taking the train to and from fairly safe areas. i agree that it's probably best for you to not wear it to work. maybe you can get a little cz ring to wear to work if you feel like having something to wear every day?
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I wear my ering every day (and I take the subway every day from Brooklyn to Manhattan), and I often see a lot of women on the train wearing their's as well.  I agree with everyone's suggestion to insure it.  If you are very concerned, my advice would be to just wear your wedding band.  In the winter, it would be easy to just wear gloves!
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I do the same as pp.  If I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable, I either turn it around or keep the gloves on, even though it's insured.  I also have a CZ band that I bought from QVC  to wear when I travel, go to the gym, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    Gloves are the easiest winter answer, but I reflexively turn mine around when I go to the subway station or even just walking around sometimes.  Once I'm married I will probably wear my wedding band by itself for every day and only wear the ering on nicer occasions.  
    April 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Pic
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I wear my ring everyday on the subway.  I don't really travel around during crazy hours, so I'm always surrounded by lots of people.  I will turn my ring around if I feel uncomfortable, but that doesn't happen too often.  My ring is by no means big (not complaining, I love it) and it's insured.  I don't worry about it too much.  I see lots of women walking around with rings much larger than mine.  
  • lucyslovelucyslove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do the same thing as most of the PP's.  If I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable (which isn't often) I just turn it around.  But I am traveling from Penn to the Wall St. area during busy hours, so I'm not too worried.  Also, I insured it, which is really important!! 
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I usually put my hand in my pocket whether jacket or pants.
    I always get nervous on the subway even though my ring is insured. I'm glad I'm not alone in this!
  • edited December 2011
    I wear my ring, but I turn it around. I'm a social worker, and I work in some rough neightborhoods and do home visits with my clients. I usually turn it around when I travel and when I meet with them in their homes; I just don't want to draw any attention or comments, since my diamond is pretty large.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • splint00splint00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never even considered this. I think that as long as you're not on the train in East New York at 3am you should be fine. Just get it insured, like everyone else mentioned. 
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely will NOT wear my ring to work, without going into details I can just say that it's not safe... at all. I don't even take a wallet to work. I've seen too many of my colleagues lose their belongings.

I speicifically ask about the train, because I would like to wear it after work and on weekends. 

My ring has not been purchased yet.  The one I have chosen so far is really awesome, but it's such an investment that I think I would be afraid to wear it out of the apartment. After expressing my concerns to my still-boyfriend, he suggested that I try to find out what other reasonable New York women do. I would really hate to get a nice ring that is just going to sit on my dresser.

I would definitely get any ring insured, you never know what is going to happen.  Also, I really like the idea of getting a stand-in ring for travel and work!

• calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At first I was too scared to wear my ring on the train. Then when I told someone I wasn't wearing it because of that, she said,"Oh, you must not be from New York". As a native New Yorker, I was instantly miffed. I live in the bronx (6 train here) and travel to manhattan. So then I sort of concluded that people would just assume its fake. I mean, these "people" we are so afraid of are not jewelry experts. I'm sure the majority of us are traveling at reasonable hours, so I don't feel the need to be scared anymore. Plus, are they really going to rough a woman up in the daytime for something that could be fake? I also have my ring insured,but that doesn't give me more of a reason to not worry. Maybe because I have gloves right now I feel safer?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards