Chit Chat

Did you guys see Today's NYT Vows?

I'm a sucker for the Sunday Styles section, especially Vows...But sometimes the couples seem so pretentious and/ or cookie-cutter dynasty people where half the article is about who their parents are, etc etc... and sometimes they just don't seem that interesting to me. Not so in today's article! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and the couple is so endearing with their geekiness :) and the last line from the bride is cute! Thought you guys might enjoy it too: 

- The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 

Re: Did you guys see Today's NYT Vows?

• AlexisA01 said:

Yeah, I completely disagree. It sounds like this wedding was all about what the groom wanted with little consideration for anyone else. I rolled my eyes so hard at this. Also, they planned the wedding for the same day as her cousin's wedding, all because they had to get married on March 14th.

Yeah...He wouldn't marry her unless she beat Zelda....Wow but he changed his mind for pi day.
    Yes! That too. Are you freaking kidding me?!?
  • Thats so interesting to me that you guys interpreted it so differently! To me it sounded like she got really into the whole Rubik's cube thing too, participating in competitions and all, so the "geeky theme" if you will was not just what he wanted but also represented her... and she did veto some of the things he suggested that mattered to her (pie, and something about the attire I think?) Granted the timing with the cousin's wedding was not ideal but it sounded like they only had 15 guests and as you guys always say an invitation is not a summons... I don't know I guess they're not perfect. But I guess I liked the unconventional Rubik's cube/ math teacher/ videogame enthusiast theme of this couple. 
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • I'm leaning toward guy being all about him. I mean if getting married that date was so important he could have proposed sooner, instead of giving her a month and saying he did that so she wouldn't turn into a brides ills - umm. What? Groomzilla for sure
  • Agree, groom sounds like a douche. And he had the nerve to insinuate his bride would be a bridezilla. 

Still, Ms. Sawler initially resisted asking about scheduling the wedding at the science center. “I thought that sounded crazy, that it sounded like his perfect wedding and had nothing to do with me,” she said.But she relented because there was less than a month for planning. “I was glad because she didn’t have time to turn into a Bridezilla,” he said. “I figured if this had dragged on for months, she would have had too much to stress about all kinds of little things I didn’t care about.”

Groomzilla!

ETA: @mj8215 look at my quote above. It sounds like she wasn't as into it as he was.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Came to say the same thing. Dude sounds like a big ole douche nozzle.

• Wow I guess you guys have a point... never mind then. Very wise you are. Better luck next Sunday, hopefully. 

• Ew. So many eye rolls. This guy sounds like a major tool and a piece of work to be married to..everything is all about him.

Yeah, screw the fact that you chose the same date as the bride's cousin and are making everyone attend a 9:26 am wedding! So gracious. ..

Formerly martha1818

• I bet he doesn't want to be toooo mainstream. I have no idea why that woman would want to marry him. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a concussion yet. I mean wouldn't it be diffcult not to run into things with your head up your ass?
  • edited June 2015
  • Nerds can be insufferable too.

Anniversary
  • I don't know, I do like reading them. Why are romantic comedies a thing? It's nice to read about real life happy ends (at least the semblance of such, with obvious caveats)
  • A romantic comedy is great but in the end the douchebag is single and not married.

I'm married to a geek too but he's a wonderful person who planned with me and didn't force anything.
  • Am I the only one who thought the writing was really awkward...didn't really flow and seemed clunky.
  • mj8215 said:

Thats so interesting to me that you guys interpreted it so differently! To me it sounded like she got really into the whole Rubik's cube thing too, participating in competitions and all, so the "geeky theme" if you will was not just what he wanted but also represented her... and she did veto some of the things he suggested that mattered to her (pie, and something about the attire I think?) Granted the timing with the cousin's wedding was not ideal but it sounded like they only had 15 guests and as you guys always say an invitation is not a summons... I don't know I guess they're not perfect. But I guess I liked the unconventional Rubik's cube/ math teacher/ videogame enthusiast theme of this couple. 

I totally love the nerd/video game thing going on here (FI and I met because of Zelda, actually), but that groom does sound like a total jerk. He reminds me of my boss and I just shudder to think how anyone could marry someone like that. More power to them. I hope it's not as bad as I'm imagining.

OP, now I am going to stalk these articles on Sundays. :)
  • Agree, groom sounds like a douche. And he had the nerve to insinuate his bride would be a bridezilla. 

Still, Ms. Sawler initially resisted asking about scheduling the wedding at the science center. “I thought that sounded crazy, that it sounded like his perfect wedding and had nothing to do with me,” she said.But she relented because there was less than a month for planning. “I was glad because she didn’t have time to turn into a Bridezilla,” he said. “I figured if this had dragged on for months, she would have had too much to stress about all kinds of little things I didn’t care about.”

Groomzilla!

ETA: @mj8215 look at my quote above. It sounds like she wasn't as into it as he was.
    Hey now, I think you are being too mean, after all she got to pick the color of the tablecloths. <sarcasm>
  • Yeah, the article was almost completely about him, and I'm guessing the wedding reflected this. He sounds like a grade-A jerk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Am I the only one who thought the writing was really awkward...didn't really flow and seemed clunky.

Yes, thank you. I thought it was choppy and maybe I'm just too tired from the weekend still. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • I support and approve of the urge to nerd. I like the idea of getting married at 9:26 am (or pm for that matter - maybe a late evening ceremony would have been less annoying for guests?) on Pi day. But I agree the dude sounds domineering and inflexible. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards