Wedding 911

Someone to take care of my dogs on the wedding day?

Might be a dumb question, but my wedding is coming up soon (May 16th) and I literally just realized that I need to find someone to take care of my two dogs on the day of the wedding! Especially considering that everyone who I would have asked is already, you know, going to the wedding (so I don't want to ask them). I hate to put them in boarding because my one dog is a nervous mess about new and/or different situations and places, and I just know she would be completely terrified. Any other brides with furry friends here - what did you do with them on your wedding day??

Re: Someone to take care of my dogs on the wedding day?

• I would leave them outside with plenty of water for the day. If that won't work for you then you can maybe ask a neighbor to pop in and take them out?
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

I would leave them outside with plenty of water for the day. If that won't work for you then you can maybe ask a neighbor to pop in and take them out?

This is a terrible idea. I really hope you don't have pets.

Can you hire a dog walker to come over a few times to walk the dogs, feed them etc?

ETA: Maggie had a good suggestion about checking with your Vet for pet sitters or a dog walker.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • suteki325 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, girls! I asked my vet and she has a client who does pet sitting on the side, so I got her phone number to call and see if she's available that day to come by a few times to let them out to potty, feed them, etc. Definitely don't feel comfortable leaving them outside all day long - I would be worried about them the whole day!

Sounds like a lovely idea! :) I'm sure your dogs will be happy being able to stay in the house instead of being boarded. 

• I would leave them outside with plenty of water for the day. If that won't work for you then you can maybe ask a neighbor to pop in and take them out?

What the fuck! No! Please tell me you don't have any pets. 

OP, I had a neighbor watch our dog. He and his wife were invited to the wedding, and they came, but they were only out for a few hours. 
  • There are also "sitting" websites for kids, dogs, houses, etc with references. e. I would probably go with your vet's recommendation though because you know your vet and he/she knows that person (and trusts them).

I can't board my dog because she hates other dogs. I always hire a sitter. It keeps her happy at home and I wouldn't ever leave her outside unattended (seriously @sierra2016 what are you thinking)

WAT.
  • Um, so I guess leaving a short reply wasn't the way to go with this. I have multiple dogs, some of which are trained therapy dogs, and I am very capable of caring for them. They have plenty of shelter outside (including dog houses for each of them as well as elevated shade areas) and they all have access to water, as well as me coming home for lunch during the day. Since I didn't know the situation of OPs yard or availability of shelter for their pup that is why I continued to suggest asking someone to pop in. 
  • Um, so I guess leaving a short reply wasn't the way to go with this. I have multiple dogs, some of which are trained therapy dogs, and I am very capable of caring for them. They have plenty of shelter outside (including dog houses for each of them as well as elevated shade areas) and they all have access to water, as well as me coming home for lunch during the day. Since I didn't know the situation of OPs yard or availability of shelter for their pup that is why I continued to suggest asking someone to pop in. 

It is wrong on so many levels to leave your dogs unattended outside. How can you not understand this?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay, thanks. I'll start bringing them inside.
  • Google pet sitters in your area... it's really pretty simple.
  • Talk to your friends and co-workers to see if anyone has a dog sitter that they trust. If not, do a google search for any dog care companies. I know in my area they have companies that will come out a certain number of times per day and walk the dogs & play with them for 30-45 minutes at each visit. They are insured & bonded.

Another option is check out rover.com. It's a list of individuals who provide dog walking & dog sitting services. You could start a relationship with a dog sitter who maybe comes 2-3 times a week to walk your dogs for you. That way they can get familiar with your dogs and your dogs familiar with them and you develop a relationship with that person also. Then on your wedding day, they can stop over a few times during the day on your wedding day. Then you would also have the option of having that person stay at your home whil you are on your honeymoon. Plus to that is that your puppies get to stay in a place they know and love reducing their stress levels, plus your house is being watched after too. Good luck!!

• Okay, thanks. I'll start bringing them inside.

For some reason I don't believe you.

If you are going to mistreat your dogs, I at least hope you live in San Diego or somewhere that the weather is consistently mild.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • suteki325 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, girls! I asked my vet and she has a client who does pet sitting on the side, so I got her phone number to call and see if she's available that day to come by a few times to let them out to potty, feed them, etc. Definitely don't feel comfortable leaving them outside all day long - I would be worried about them the whole day!

This is a good idea. 

We left our dogs at home, inside. My H stayed there with them the night before, and left around noon to meet up for lunch with his GM. His uncle stopped by on his way to the wedding (about 3) and let them outside and back in. Next door neighbor came over after dinner to let them out again, then a GM and his GF spent the night at our house (they weren't going to spend the money on a hotel, and each lives with their parents, so they loved this), got there around 11 or so. Let them out, played with them for a while, etc. before bed. The dogs weren't alone for longer than about 4 hours at a time, same as a normal workday, and no one person was responsible for the entire day.

• KatWAG said:

Okay, thanks. I'll start bringing them inside.

For some reason I don't believe you.

If you are going to mistreat your dogs, I at least hope you live in San Diego or somewhere that the weather is consistently mild.

It's ok if you don't believe me. I work a block from my home and use the trained dogs with some of my clients in my practice, so I am often switching them from inside/outside during the day so they are not "working" for multiple hours a day. I know that I do not mistreat my dogs, and it is a requirement that my dogs are vet checked twice a year and re-certified every year. They are always happy and healthy. It will take nothing for me to switch up a routine- so that I can easily do. No issue at all. 
  • edited June 2015
  • I have to brag about this one:

I got married in a dog-friendly hotel, so a few people brought their dogs. I only wish we could have had them AT the reception, because puppies!!!!

Me too! My cousin actually just texted me the other day and said she called and put her pet deposit down at our venue.. I'm so glad she won't have to worry about her dog all day. 

** And leave them outside? I know PPs have said this but WTF?
  • Definitely don't leave your dog outside. Aside from the issues of safety, if your dog barks a lot, it will really annoy your neighbors.
  • IMO - I'd be more comfortable developing a relationship with a "Doggy Daycare" or Boarder between now and then such that it wouldn't be a new experience for the one dog.  It's just a good idea in general to have a "back-up plan" that the dog itself is comfortable about...  You don't want someone new walking in to let them out especially if a dog is that skidish/tempered..
  • MesmrEwe said:

IMO - I'd be more comfortable developing a relationship with a "Doggy Daycare" or Boarder between now and then such that it wouldn't be a new experience for the one dog.  It's just a good idea in general to have a "back-up plan" that the dog itself is comfortable about...  You don't want someone new walking in to let them out especially if a dog is that skidish/tempered..

Which is why when you hire a dog sitter/walker you introduce the dog to that person before hand.  Same with a babysitter for a human.  You don't just take your kid and drop it off to a complete and total stranger.  You introduce your kid/pet to the person who will be taking care of it before hand.

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Maybe it's my more rural location compared to some more suburban/urban posters, but I don't think dogs or other pets have to be inside animals to be well cared for. They just have to be well cared for. Fed per their schedule, fresh water 24/7/365, cool places to be when it's warm and warm places to be when its cool, loved on and played with and kept clean and exercised. Have I seen some poorly cared for animals? Yeah, sure. But the mere fact that someone has outside dogs instead of inside dogs, doesn't equate to animal abuse.

Yeah I'm from the country and I have seen very well loved and cared for dogs that are outside dogs. If it's 150 degrees outside yeah you bring the dog in but otherwise

You guys know they are animals and are built to be outside, right? I mean you obviously don't tie it up in the sun with no shelter or water for 12 hours but you can leave them outside.

I don't know, my uncle raised sled dogs that were 100% outside dogs. They had their own little stable like horses!

But I would only suggest this if you are truly in a rural area with lots of space and the correct climate. Doggy daycare for anyone else, you don't want your puppy stolen or something!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am giving my advice under the impression that these are inside animals and not accustomed to spending full days outside in a kennel or other optional enclosure. Meaning that there's not a place for these animals to be for an entire day.

But I agree, most animals are perfectly fine outside. I grew up in farm country and it was not uncommon to have multiple outdoor animals. But they always had the option of a barn/machine building etc to find shelter in. And always had food and water outside. 

• I am giving my advice under the impression that these are inside animals and not accustomed to spending full days outside in a kennel or other optional enclosure. Meaning that there's not a place for these animals to be for an entire day.

But I agree, most animals are perfectly fine outside. I grew up in farm country and it was not uncommon to have multiple outdoor animals. But they always had the option of a barn/machine building etc to find shelter in. And always had food and water outside. 
    This.

There is a big difference between sled dogs which are working dogs (like working horses and other similar animals) and are treated far differently then a family pet which spends the majority of his/her time inside on the couch.  Both are loved and well cared for but their "use" is completely different.

So unless OP keeps her dogs outside 24/7 and has the adequate kennels and enclosures and area to roam, then no she should just not leave her dogs outside all day on her wedding day.  And if you are in a suburban/urban area there is a good chance that your dog could be taken right out of your yard if you are not home/supervising.
    Agreed. If OP's dogs were accustomed to being outside all day and had the setup necessary to keep them safe that way, she wouldn't have asked the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards