Pre-wedding Parties

Boring Bachelorette?

Hey y'all,

I am very exciting to be planning my sister's bachelorette party. I Finally came up with an idea I think she will love; Buffalo Wild Wings (her favorite) and then ice cream sundaes and movies at home.

Some of her friends are in different cities. Would you as a guest be willing to travel (three hours or so) for this type of event?

Re: Boring Bachelorette?

• Depends.There's friends I would fly for, there's work "friends" that I wouldn't drive an hour for. Send out the invites like you would for any other party and don't expect anyone traveling to help supply movies, sundaes or toppings. It sounds like a really fun night.

It's a know your crowd type of thing but you may want to run this by your sister, just in case. My MOH and best friend KNEW I would hate surprise parties because if she asked me to come to her house I could show up an hour early, gross sweats, no hair/makeup done.

• Would I drive 3 hours to spend a long weekend with my friend and this party just so happened to occur during this weekend?  Sure.  But would I drive up solely for this party?  No.  And honestly, no matter what you planned for a one night party, then I most likely wouldn't travel to attend it because of distance/funds.

Is a shower being thrown for your sister?  If so, would you consider having this party the same day/weekend as the shower?  That would be more of an incentive for people who have to travel if they know that it is more then just a 5 hour thing.  And it would help to not have to ask people to travel multiple weekends for 2 different parties.

• If it was my very best friend, yes. Otherwise, probably not. 
  • Would I drive 3 hours to spend a long weekend with my friend and this party just so happened to occur during this weekend?  Sure.  But would I drive up solely for this party?  No.  And honestly, no matter what you planned for a one night party, then I most likely wouldn't travel to attend it because of distance/funds.

Is a shower being thrown for your sister?  If so, would you consider having this party the same day/weekend as the shower?  That would be more of an incentive for people who have to travel if they know that it is more then just a 5 hour thing.  And it would help to not have to ask people to travel multiple weekends for 2 different parties.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. The girls would be welcome to spend the night at the house and I would make breakfast etc.

This has just been a hard one to plan since I don't know any if her friends these days.

• The biggest factor for me would be how close I am to the bride. 

If not a SUPER close friend, I would not travel 3 hours (6 hours round trip) to go to b-dubs and eat ice cream. Sorry.
    *********************************************************************************

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I hate to say it like this...but is there a reason you're planning what seems to be a rather boring bachelorette party? Is the bride not very outgoing? Is she a homebody? Even then, I can think of many other things than BW3s and a movie night to do instead...
  • TNDancer said:

Would I drive 3 hours to spend a long weekend with my friend and this party just so happened to occur during this weekend?  Sure.  But would I drive up solely for this party?  No.  And honestly, no matter what you planned for a one night party, then I most likely wouldn't travel to attend it because of distance/funds.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. The girls would be welcome to spend the night at the house and I would make breakfast etc.

This has just been a hard one to plan since I don't know any if her friends these days.

Is it your house or hers? Do you have bedrooms or will people be couch surfing? It does sound like a very unremarkable bachelorette to me. Or even a Tuesday night.

Anniversary

• Darn it. That's what I was worried about. She didn't want to do the "typical" night out partying so I will need to think of more interesting things or just expect only the local girls to show.
  • TNDancer said:

Darn it. That's what I was worried about. She didn't want to do the "typical" night out partying so I will need to think of more interesting things or just expect only the local girls to show.

Pole dancing class, cooking class, wine tasting, cosmic bowling, have someone come to your house to sell sex toys, get a stripper, spa day, etc

There are a ton of options.

I don't mean to sound shallow but I (as a bride) would be pretty disappointed in what you have planned.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • TNDancer said:

Darn it. That's what I was worried about. She didn't want to do the "typical" night out partying so I will need to think of more interesting things or just expect only the local girls to show.

For me, no matter what you plan, whether it be seen as boring or a total blowout, traveling 3+ hours for ONE night is just not something that I would do.  Hell, I didn't even go to my sisters bach party because it was 5 hours away and it was only dinner and drinks.

I went to one bach party that was in AC.  We all drove up and spent less then 12 hours at the hotel.  Never again.  It just wasn't worth the time and money and exhaustion.

If your sister would enjoy dinner at b-dubs and some ice cream and movies in then do that.  So what if you only the local girls show up?  This party is for your sister and doing stuff that she likes to do.  As long as you take others budgets into consideration then that is all that matters. You are extending an invite not a summons.

• TNDancer said:

Hey y'all,

I am very exciting to be planning my sister's bachelorette party. I Finally came up with an idea I think she will love; Buffalo Wild Wings (her favorite) and then ice cream sundaes and movies at home.

Some of her friends are in different cities. Would you as a guest be willing to travel (three hours or so) for this type of event?

Honestly, for my Bachelorette Party, I don't want to go to my Favorite Restaurant, I want to go somewhere I've never been before.  I want to go to that new Tapas place and try octopus cooked in its own ink.  I want to have a blue martini at the restaurant at the top of that skyscraper that's too expensive to go to on a regular night.  I want to go to a weird pop-up rave where you need a secret password to get in, even though I hate dancing and loud music.  I want to do something I never do to celebrate doing something I'm only doing once (getting married.)
  • Is there a way to plan something that's close to everyone?  Did she give you a list of girls to invite who she for sure wants to see?  I think the idea is cute, but not bachelorette party material.  Unless you plan it closer to her friends, it will probably be hard for them to figure out a 3 hour drive.  

I'm not even sure what the typical bachelorette party is.  Drinking?  There has to be something more entertaining in your area than BWW.  
  • Hey y'all,

Thaks for the ideas. Personally i agree that this isn't super exciting. I'm having myself a pity party thinking my sister is Boring. She is a super picky eater and wouldn't like any new restaurants, and she does not like to go out to bars/clubs. I had these ideas just because these are thigns she actualyl does like.

The event will be in Birmingham, becuase that is most central for guests in Birmingham, Nashville, and Atlanta.

• edited April 2015
    TNDancer said:

Hey y'all,

Thaks for the ideas. Personally i agree that this isn't super exciting. I'm having myself a pity party thinking my sister is Boring. She is a super picky eater and wouldn't like any new restaurants, and she does not like to go out to bars/clubs. I had these ideas just because these are thigns she actualyl does like.

The event will be in Birmingham, becuase that is most central for guests in Birmingham, Nashville, and Atlanta.

Then I think I suggest hotel slumber party.  Get a hotel with a pool and hot tub.  Book a room for you and your sister, the other girls can book their own rooms if they agree to attend.  Pick up BWW wings or whatever your sister likes from there, way too much food for the number of girls attending.  Get wine or beer or vodka or gin.  Get brownies, cookies, marshmellows, everything sweet you can imagine you might want.  Bring music to play and speakers, bring funky nail polish colors, hair ties, and your entire makeup collection including silly colors of eye shadow, blush, and gloss.  Spend an evening eating, swimming, laughing, drinking, and just generally being 12 years old again.  The girls who have their own hotel rooms can leave to sleep when they're tired.  The girls who live nearby and want to head home can do that when they're ready to be done.  Have breakfast with a lot of bacon the next morning, go for another swim, then head home.
  • adk19 said:

TNDancer said:

Hey y'all,

Then I think I suggest hotel slumber party.  Get a hotel with a pool and hot tub.  Book a room for you and your sister, the other girls can book their own rooms if they agree to attend.  Pick up BWW wings or whatever your sister likes from there, way too much food for the number of girls attending.  Get wine or beer or vodka or gin.  Get brownies, cookies, marshmellows, everything sweet you can imagine you might want.  Bring music to play and speakers, bring funky nail polish colors, hair ties, and your entire makeup collection including silly colors of eye shadow, blush, and gloss.  Spend an evening eating, swimming, laughing, drinking, and just generally being 12 years old again.  The girls who have their own hotel rooms can leave to sleep when they're tired.  The girls who live nearby and want to head home can do that when they're ready to be done.  Have breakfast with a lot of bacon the next morning, go for another swim, then head home.

Excellent! This is what I was thinking but way better. And it is still not obligaitng people to spend money.
  • TNDancer said:

adk19 said:

TNDancer said:

Hey y'all,

Excellent! This is what I was thinking but way better. And it is still not obligaitng people to spend money.
    And while you're not obligating folks, it's more than just a dinner at BWW if people really do want to attend but don't feel like driving 3 hours for dinner at a chain restaurant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards