Wedding 911

Wedding In Philadelphia Over Labor Day Weekend - HELP!

Hello,

My finacee and I are planning to get married on 9/3/16 at The Atrium at The Curtis Center.  We just learned that the Made in America tour, an enormous music festival which shuts down the Ben Franklin Parkway, is scheduled every year on Labor Day weekend.  Last year, 80,000 people attended!

Has anyone gotten married in Philadelphia over Labor Day weekend in the past few years?  If so, did you have any issues with people not being able to make it to your ceremony or with difficulty parking, etc.?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

-Maribeth

Re: Wedding In Philadelphia Over Labor Day Weekend - HELP!

• Hello,

My finacee and I are planning to get married on 9/3/16 at The Atrium at The Curtis Center.  We just learned that the Made in America tour, an enormous music festival which shuts down the Ben Franklin Parkway, is scheduled every year on Labor Day weekend.  Last year, 80,000 people attended!

Has anyone gotten married in Philadelphia over Labor Day weekend in the past few years?  If so, did you have any issues with people not being able to make it to your ceremony or with difficulty parking, etc.?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

-Maribeth

Sounds like difficulty parking is going to the least of your concerns. Hotel, transportation, parking, overall getting around the city are going to be major headaches for your guests. If I were from a rural area and unfamiliar with the city, I would have huge reservations about coming into the city on Labor Day weekend with that going on - on top of all the other Labor Day stuff.

Hopefully your guests have all their hotels booked! I'm sure they're filling up, even this early. Have you sent out save the dates? I would think communication would be key in this case and making sure that you communicate with your VIPs in case someone asks them questions. 

• I would let your guests know ASAP about booking hotels. Talk to your venue about the best way for your guests to arrive for the ceremony. If they aren't staying withing walking distance, maybe you can arrange for your guests to park in a designated location away from the festivities and shuttle them in for the ceremony.
  • I would post this on the Philly board.
  • I agree - post this to the Local Philly boards!

That said - there are similar sized events in Philly each year and people work around it.  Talk to your venue and other knotties to see what they have to say from experience...

• You may also have a higher number of declines since people often have plans holiday weekends.  I learned this when considering a Memorial Day weekend wedding.  I asked guests how they felt about it before booking it.  Many were disappointed or said they'd decline, so I ended up booking venue for May 31.
  • You have plenty of time - 18 months. Change your date.
    *********************************************************************************

• Honestly, with a year and a half to go, how tied are you to that date or that location?  It's Labor Day weekend, which means your guests may want to have their own vacation plans if they have to travel (I'm assuming they would since you weren't very familiar with this annual festival) or have last minute things to get ready for school starting for their kids.  Or, they'll have to compete with everyone else traveling and this festival. 

Most hotels don't book more than a year out.  So right now, all you can really do is warn them if you decide to keep the date.  Then at one year out, be frantic about calling the hotels ASAP to get room blocks, but I know here Labor Day weekend equals expensive hotel rooms anyway, and add on a festival and rooms are probably $100-150 more than they usually are, so you're probably asking your guests to spend a lot more money.  You could also book transportation (charter bus) so everyone is together instead of risking some getting stuck in traffic (at least you'd all be stuck together).  But honestly, I'd just change the date since you have so much time.
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    I have been a bridesmaid in two Labor Day weekend weddings. So fed up with it and I wouldn't attend again. For many, many people that is a three day weekend of fun stuff and usually weddings don't trump holiday weekends. I vote change your date and don't make your loved ones choose between making you happy and their holiday weekend. Also it sounds like pure hell logistically!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I just looked up your location.  You will be in Old City.  You should be far enough away from the Ben Franklin Parkway, that transportation should not be an issue.  Hotels may be an issue for you, since it is such a large amount of people.  They will probably be spreading out far way from the Parkway for accommodations.

My friend had her wedding this past summer on July 5th.  Her RD was on July 4th.  I was worried about driving in the city for basically the same reason you state in your OP.  There is a huge concert on the Parkway and fireworks on July 4th each year.  My friends' wedding was also in Old City.  I had no issues driving from NJ into Philly and navigating around Old City.  It may be a different story for anyone who has to come from West of the city into Old City. 

If you are really worried, try moving your date.  You are so far out that hopefully all your vendors will be able to accommodate the change in date.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards