Attire & Accessories Forum

High heels to converses/dress alterations

I want to wear high heels during my ceremony but switch into converses (or any flat shoes) for the reception. Obviously, the dress will be altered to the heels. At most I'd wear 3 inches. Does anyone know if I switched into flats, if my dress would be too low or way too long somehow? Would the change in height be drastic?

Re: High heels to converses/dress alterations

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    Yes, your dress would drag on the floor if it is hemmed properly.  Bustling will help in back, but not in the front.

Please don't wear Converse.  That is SOOooooooo over.  There are some nice dress flats that you could wear at both the ceremony and the reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to try and train my feet to like my heels, but in reality I'd rather be wearing flats to dance and have fun in, be they converse or otherwise. I don't know that I'd survive all night in my ceremony shoes, and I'd rather be a converse/dress flat shod bride than be running around barefoot. Never hurts to have a back up plan.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Ideally your shoe change needs to be the same height. I didn't initially plan on switching shoes, but my wedding shoes ended up hurting more than I had expected, so I swapped them for wedges of the same height. Other people have used Victoria's Secret platform flip flops. I almost tripped on my dress just walking up a few steps at the ceremony; I don't want to know what I would have been like if it was three inches too long!
  • Okay, I might wear 1-2 inch heels instead. I just wanted to wear something to elongate my figure a little bit more for the full effect but be comfy later.  Then again, the dress I tried on wasn't my size so I could look just fine in it without the need for heels. Thanks for the suggestions. 
  • My daughter, who is six feet tall, wore white ballet slippers to her wedding.  She danced and enjoyed it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I switched into high heeled wedge converse. They were perfect and just a hair shorter than the heels I wore through the ceremony and dinner. They were also all white, and no one was the wiser. Totally stable and comfortable and I could jump all over the dance floor in them without worrying I was going to break an ankle. 

There were like these, but mine didn't have the red and black lines around the sole. I can't seem to find a picture of mine on the internet, but they exist out there somewhere. I think I ordered mine online from Nordstroms or Macys. 

• I literally JUST googled converse wedges after reading the 3rd or 4th post!  I think it'll be the best of both worlds you can wear for the whole thing!

I'm wearing flip flop wedges :)
  • May I ask why you want to do this? No one will see the shoes you wear for the ceremony anyway. Let along how high your heel is. I wore bright green shoes and no one noticed. 

If you really want to wear converse shoes for the reception, I would either get flats or a low heel - something comparable that won't make too much of a difference when you make the switch. What you don't want is a dragging dress while you're trying to dance. People may step on it and rip it or you may trip... not a great outcome.
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle: I can't walk in heels well. The highest I've done for a lengthy time was 3 inches. Also, my ceremony is outdoors on a huge hill and a mountain back drop. I live in the mountains so heels are no bueno. I've been a tomboy at heart since my childhood, so whether or not they can seem the shoes it's really that they will be comfortable --- also, no one can see the shoes so it won't matter what I wear. Plus, I would rather not spend $50-$150 on shoes I won't wear again. My wedding budget is on the lower end. I may not do converses because it does seem cliche' and I wasn't doing it for the trend, so I might wear some classy cute flats instead!
  • CMGragain said:

Yes, your dress would drag on the floor if it is hemmed properly.  Bustling will help in back, but not in the front.

Please don't wear Converse.  That is SOOooooooo over.  There are some nice dress flats that you could wear at both the ceremony and the reception.

Converse are not "over". Dafuq?
  • Converse are over??

*sadly throws away new maroon pair*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Okay, I might wear 1-2 inch heels instead. I just wanted to wear something to elongate my figure a little bit more for the full effect but be comfy later.  Then again, the dress I tried on wasn't my size so I could look just fine in it without the need for heels. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Whatever heel height you get, my tip is to break them in!  I think mine were only 2 inches and I wore them around the house a few times before the wedding, but by the time the night was over, it was incredibly painful to even take the shoes off!   I should've broken them in more, but I was too afraid to scuff up the bottoms because pictures and all.  Incredibly stupid, especially since I don't think any of the photos show the bottom of the shoes!
  • If you can't wear heels, I would just wear your Chucks or a pair of flats for the whole day. At prom I wore heels and then switched to my pair of black Chucks when I hit the dance floor. It wasn't too much of an issue but may be a bit hesitant about doing it with a wedding gown.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Converses are not "over."

Converses with a wedding dress?  Not my cup of tea.

I would suggest that you just wear a shoe that you will be comfortable in all night long for the entire wedding.  Since you have a long wedding dress and the dress is hemmed correctly, no one will see your shoes anyway so changing shoes, especially from a high heel to a sneaker is just pointless and only cause your dress to drag.

**FYI I wore heels to my wedding and then immediately changed into wedged flip flops because my feet were killing me.  Looking back I wish I had just worn the flip flops because I would have been a lot more comfortable during my ceremony.  And the only time my shoes were seen was when I picked my dress up for the all popular shoe pic.

• @southernbelle: I can't walk in heels well. The highest I've done for a lengthy time was 3 inches. Also, my ceremony is outdoors on a huge hill and a mountain back drop. I live in the mountains so heels are no bueno. I've been a tomboy at heart since my childhood, so whether or not they can seem the shoes it's really that they will be comfortable --- also, no one can see the shoes so it won't matter what I wear. Plus, I would rather not spend $50-$150 on shoes I won't wear again. My wedding budget is on the lower end. I may not do converses because it does seem cliche' and I wasn't doing it for the trend, so I might wear some classy cute flats instead!

If you can't walk in heels, why are you considering wearing them for the ceremony? When all eyes will be on you walking down the aisle? I sure as hell wouldn't do that.

Either wear the converse for the ceremony (personally I'm not a fan, but your call), or get some nice flats if you don't want to wear the converse.
    *********************************************************************************

• hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2015
    my dress was altered to the flip flip wedges i was wearing for the reception they were around the same height as my ceremony shoes. I ended up not wearing my ceremony shoes as i was sick on my wedding day and was feeling like i would faint or fall in my heals because of how i was feeling. 
  • Take both to your fitting that way you can see how much of a difference/problem it might be. If your heels are only 2-3 inches, and you wear chucks (or flats/Toms/whatever low heel shoe) it might not be that big of a deal, or it might be too long and you're tripping, but you probably won't know until you do a fitting with your dress in the right size.

Also, wear whatever shoes you want! Even if they're "over". 
  • I went from 2 1/2 inch heels to flats. I did have to pick up my dress for walking to help avoid tripping on it. For dancing it wasn't as big of an issue because with as big as my dress was, I didn't do any crazy dance moves. But I was holding it up while line dancing. Yes we did line dancing at my wedding. Our guests love it and you can't convince me otherwise when there wasn't a single free space on the dance floor when they were on.
  • I'm switching from the heels to the flip flops.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards