Honeymoon Discussions

Inviting Guests to Come on Cruise

Hello fellow brides! 

So back-story: initially, me and the fiance wanted to get married on a cruise ship and invite our close friends and family to come with us. Well, that idea didn't fly with most of my family. So now we're doing a land wedding and then hopping on a cruise ship the next day.

We still want to invite our friends and family (even though it's technically our "honeymoon" at this point) to come on the cruise with us because we really want to celebrate and spend time with the people we love (and now live far away).  I would like to put this information on our wedding website, but I don't know how to express the wording. Please let me know if y'all have any advice! 

Thanks! 

Re: Inviting Guests to Come on Cruise

• I wouldn't include this on the website.  When i see an event on a wedding website, i assume that it is related to the wedding, and therefore that it is being completely hosted.  I seriously doubt that your intention is to pay for all of your nearest and dearest to go on your honeymoon with you, so i don't think this should be mentioned at all as having anything to do with the wedding itself.

Instead i'd either verbally or via email tell the people that you think might like to be included "hey, we're going on X cruise after the wedding...if you're looking for a vacation and want to join us, please do!"  For the most part though, people don't like their vacations to be dictated to them by others, which is likely why most of your family balked at you getting married on the cruise - because they didn't want to go on the cruise in the first place.  I love traveling with my close friends, but if i'm spending my own money, i like to make my own decision about where i'm going - so i think it's probably unlikely that you'll get a large turnout on the cruise.

If you want to spend more time with your guests, maybe you can host a large rehearsal dinner/wel come party the night before the wedding and invite everyone rather than just the wedding participants.  that would allow you to have more time to spend with them.

• delujm0 said:

I wouldn't include this on the website.  When i see an event on a wedding website, i assume that it is related to the wedding, and therefore that it is being completely hosted.  I seriously doubt that your intention is to pay for all of your nearest and dearest to go on your honeymoon with you, so i don't think this should be mentioned at all as having anything to do with the wedding itself.

Instead i'd either verbally or via email tell the people that you think might like to be included "hey, we're going on X cruise after the wedding...if you're looking for a vacation and want to join us, please do!"  For the most part though, people don't like their vacations to be dictated to them by others, which is likely why most of your family balked at you getting married on the cruise - because they didn't want to go on the cruise in the first place.  I love traveling with my close friends, but if i'm spending my own money, i like to make my own decision about where i'm going - so i think it's probably unlikely that you'll get a large turnout on the cruise.

If you want to spend more time with your guests, maybe you can host a large rehearsal dinner/wel come party the night before the wedding and invite everyone rather than just the wedding participants.  that would allow you to have more time to spend with them.

Yeah, I don't get this OP.  If they didn't want to go on the cruise to see you get married, why do you think they're going to want to go on a cruise to celebrate with you after the wedding?  Most people have limited vacation time and funds and want to plan their own vacations.  In addition, many people, myself and DH included, prefer to vacation by themselves.

I would have your land based wedding, have a rehearsal dinner, maybe host a breakfast/brunch the following morning......but then go on your honeymoon by yourselves.   As a guest, I would be very happy to celebrate your marriage with you, but the ceremony/reception are enough.....I don't need a week long celebration.  Sorry.  :(
  • Sorry.  You get ONE day.  It was very wise of you to change your plans to better suit your guests time and pocketbooks.

You cannot "invite" anyone on  a cruise unless you plan to pay for it.  Word of mouth is a good idea, but I doubt you will have any takers.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree with what was said above. If people were not happy about a cruise wedding, I am not sure they would really want to tag along on your honeymoon either. 

Besides that, it is your honeymoon! This is a very intimate time for a couple to be in love, celebrate, and cherish each other, alone. I would not want to be worried about entertaining/hosting guests on my honeymoon. I want all my focus to be on my partner.  

We also wanted to have more time with our guests, so we are hosting a welcome dinner the night before the wedding, and farewell brunch the day after the wedding. Optional of course. 
    M+C  //  Feb 20  ♥ PDX
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards