Attire & Accessories Forum

What are your thoughts on taffeta?

Pros and cons to taffeta? Do you like it? Have any of you gotten a taffeta dress?

Re: What are your thoughts on taffeta?

• Taffeta can be a little warm, depending on its weight, so I might not choose it for an outdoor hot-weather wedding, but other than that, I can't think of any real cons. It's pretty sturdy, and it's great for gowns that need some structure. I usually prefer its matte look to shiny stuff like satin and charmeuse. I haven't chosen a gown yet, but I had a taffeta prom dress in high school and I have a taffeta cloak for ren faires. This post might help explain the different fabrics better than I can.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine is taffeta. I didn't really know anything about fabrics though I just liked the dress and that was the fabric it came in
  • I don't understand your question.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I dislike Taffeta. It's great for showing off sweat though. I would steer clear if your in the summer months or warm weather.
  • Personally, I dislike the look of most taffeta dresses I have seen.
  • Silk taffeta can be lovely. However, most 'taffeta' dresses in the less expensive range (and I'm talking under a grand or two, here) are going to be the polyester stuff. And poly taffeta just screams 80s to me regardless of the actual style of the rest of the dress.
  • If it's the cheap taffeta then people will be able to hear your dress moving. Seriously, the cheap stuff is like a rain jacket and it will make the same sound.
  • my dress was a mori lee juletta 3098 in radiant taffeta picks ups  alecone lace and beading with a one shoulder strap  but i ended up adding a second strap my wedding was at the end of june 2014 my dress looked amazing you could not hear my dress move i didnt sweat at all it was hot and my church was a little hot and i was fine here are some photos of me in  dress and the stock photo of it hope this helps
  • Taffeta isn't comfortable during the summer months otherwise it's a nice fabric.
  • Thanks, ladies. Your dress is beautiful, hyechica81! :)
  • I personally really dislike taffeta.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• my dress is taffeta and quite honestly it's a lot lighter than i thought it was going to be!  it can be a bit noisy but as OCD and picky as I am, I didn't mind it
  • My daughter's dress was taffeta, and her wedding was in July in the Washington DC area.

Will somebody please explain to me how a strapless dress can be "hot" to wear?  No sleeves.  Low neckline.  Sometimes, no back!  I don't get it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

My daughter's dress was taffeta, and her wedding was in July in the Washington DC area.

Will somebody please explain to me how a strapless dress can be "hot" to wear?  No sleeves.  Low neckline.  Sometimes, no back!  I don't get it.

I've heard people complain of hot sweaty legs. My dress has an overlay and underlay and it's not hot at all so I guess some people are more sensitive to that.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards