Attire & Accessories Forum

wedding dress sizing

I went to try on dresses today size 12/14 would not get over my butt so if you are a size 8/10 in regular clothes am i 16/18 in wedding dresses?

Re: wedding dress sizing

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I went to try on dresses today size 12/14 would not get over my butt so if you are a size 8/10 in regular clothes am i 16/18 in wedding dresses?

It all depends on the dress designer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

It all depends on the dress designer.
    This.  It really depends on the designer.  And also your body shape.

• Depends on the designer, the dress type, your body type, the phases of the moon... just find a dress that fits the largest part of your body, get the rest altered to fit, and don't pay attention to what the number is. 

• Don't let this get in your head. Don't even think about the label, just think about the fit. 

What they'll do is measure your hips, waist and bust. Then they'll compare that to the dress designer's sizing chart. They'll go with the largest size for all your measurements. Then when the dress comes in, your seamstress will tailor it where it's too big. 

So not only do the sizes seem bigger on the label, but you're ordering the largest size of all your measurements. That way, after it's altered, it'll fit like it was made for you. Trust - it's a good thing.
    *********************************************************************************

• Depends on designer & style of dress
  • I'm a size 14/16 in street clothes.  My wedding gown was a size 20 in Mori Lee.  But, in other designers, I was easily fitting into a 16, and still other designers, I was in a 22.  It's random, and makes no difference. Buy the size that fits you.
  • Absolutely true..... clothes size does not matter..... those are MEANINGLESS numbers! At 2 places I went they didn't even ask me my size. One place picked dresses for me based on what I liked and I also let them suggest a few based on my body type. Unfortunately at David's the sales person asked my size and when the first dress she gave didn't fit at all she said "well did you like that dress?" (WHAT???) Then she handed me a book of their plus size dresses and said "this is what we carry in YOUR size. (Thanks sweetie) The last place a I went was a high end salon that told me go through the dresses and pick out what you like. They put me in a Sottero Midgley that didn't really fit but she knew how to make that dress look awesome on me. I ended up getting a dress made to my measurements. I've been working out with a trainer and have lost about 3 sizes but only about 10 lbs. on the scale. That's what taught me about meaningless numbers. Find a beautiful dress and enjoy it. Screw what the tag says.
  • dont pay attention to the size label i am a size 20/22 in street clothes in bridal i was anywhere from a size 22 to a 28 depending on the designer the cut and the shape of the dress

always order the largest size you measure and they will alter it to fit you. they can always alter down but they cant always take out the dress. worst that can happen is your order one size smaller hope that whatever weight you wanted to kick off was gone dress comes in it wont zip or lace up or something is not fitting right and the seamstress says i cant let it out there is no room to i am sorry but your dress wont work for you. 
  • Clothes size is out the window.  They just use the sizing charts of the designer.  Most of the gowns are made in China, so those models that they make patterns from are so thin and small.  Just go with the chart and stop worrying.
  • It depends on the designer and wedding dresses seem to be cut ridiculously small. I normally wear an 8 in pants and I was having to try on dresses that were 16w, 18's and 20's!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • It really just depends. I am a street size 0-4, and in the wedding dresses I was a 2-4. There are too many variables (style of dress, your particular shape, where you hold your weight, the designers, the fabric type, etc.) to give a firm answer.

But it is very common for wedding dress sizing to vary from street sizing.

• Agree with everyone, it completely depends on the style/designer/your shape etc. I am a street size 0, and a 00 in slacks, when I got measured I would have been a 4 or 6 based on my butt but I'm a 2 in my waist and not even on the chart for my lady bits. If I had a form fitting dress we would have gone 4 or 6 but since mine is only fitted to my waist we went with a 2. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed with PP, I am a 4-6 in regular clothes and ordered a size 10 wedding gown. It's a fit-n-flair and I have an hourglass figure, so I had to go up in sizing for this style as opposed to a ball gown or A-line shape. It all depends on designer and shape of the dress/your body shape.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards