Attire & Accessories Forum

Worried about the dress I ordered...

So I just ordered my dress and I loved the way it fit when I tried it on. The only issue was that it puckered a bit around the waist. Because of this they ordered a size larger than what I tried on. My dress is estimated to come in in mid-August and my wedding is October 3. I am worried that ordering the larger size will require a lot of alterations that will need to be done in a short period of time in order to fit me properly when they possibly could have just adjusted the waist on the smaller size. Should I call to change the size of the dress or trust that they know what they are doing? Help!

Re: Worried about the dress I ordered...

• I needed quite a few alterations to my dress (they basically re-built the top) and it was only 3 weeks. I think nearly 2 months is plenty of time.
  • You have to order the dress to your largest measurement because it's always easier to take in than let out, which may in some cases not be possible at all due to lack of seam allowances. Usually that measurement is going to be the waist because somehow manufacturers are convinced all women still wear girdles and so patterns are made with stupidly tiny waists.

Aside from that, you're going to have a month and a half for alterations, which is plenty of time. Relax, breathe, and stop overthinking it.
  • Thanks for the reassurance, ladies. Still kind of worried it won't look the same if they have to make a bunch of alterations, but I suppose I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
  • I think it will be fine. Tailors are magicians and my best friends. I'm sure you have nothing to worry abut!
  • never order a dress smaller often on those bridal shows there are brides who ordered two small never lost the weight or whatever the reason was why they ordered small and they dress was a mess a hot mess
  • krystalh988 said:Thanks for the reassurance, ladies. Still kind of worried it won't look the same if they have to make a bunch of alterations, but I suppose I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Right. It will look
    even better because it won't bunch at the waist. And you have plenty of time for alterations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your first fitting shouldn't happen any earlier then 2 months prior to your wedding anyways, so you will have plenty of times to get any alterations done.

I would just find a tailor that you truly trust and has great reviews and I am sure everything will be fine.

• You made the right choice by getting the bigger size. I was in a very similar boat - the sample fit almost perfectly, but I measured between the sample size and one size up. I ordered the larger one fearing that the sample may have stretched, or that there may be slight variability in the sizing. It ended up needing to be taken in quite a bit but this was definitely preferable to the alternative (an ill-fitting dress and/or starving a few pounds off the month before the wedding). You'll have plenty of time for alterations and it will look amazing!
  • August to October is tons of time. This will be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards