Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Help writing ceremony!

We found an old law that allows us to perform a "self-uniting marriage"
in our state. So our county is allowing it since the wedding is on a
holiday, and the judge isn't able to perform the ceremony.
We'd like
to have my father "officiate" by saying some marriage blessings from
our heritages. We'll be writing our own vows too. We also want to do a
"wedding knot" ceremony and a "sand ceremony."
Any idea where we can
find some basic ceremony wording?! Or if any of you have had a wedding
performed by someone other than a religious figure, what was said? I'm
having no luck with Google searches. I even tried YouTube looking for
videos of peoples' ceremonies, but not much luck there either. Most of
what I found was religious.

Re: Help writing ceremony!

• Our ceremony wouldn't be much help because it's more like a script for a play (we're both theatrical and it's a Halloween wedding) but we did find a basic template, cannot remember where now, that we followed when writing our script.  Ours isn't self-uniting but a friend is officiating most of it with the ordained official just stepping in at the end.  Our goes:

Processional
    Welcome / Introduction
    Reading
    Call & Response (not religious by any means, from Monty Python!)
    Reading
    Unity Candle
    Reading
    Hand Fasting (Vows)
    Ring Exchange
    Pronouncement
    Kiss
    Recessional

I hope that at least helps get you started on a format!

• Thanks so much! This helps out alot!!!

Our ceremony wouldn't be much help because it's more like a script for a play (we're both theatrical and it's a Halloween wedding) but we did find a basic template, cannot remember where now, that we followed when writing our script.  Ours isn't self-uniting but a friend is officiating most of it with the ordained official just stepping in at the end.  Our goes:

Processional
    Welcome / Introduction
    Reading
    Call & Response (not religious by any means, from Monty Python!)
    Reading
    Unity Candle
    Reading
    Hand Fasting (Vows)
    Ring Exchange
    Pronouncement
    Kiss
    Recessional

I hope that at least helps get you started on a format!

• You're welcome!  Glad to help out.  Looking at it again I think I forgot to put a reading in there, we have four altogether, but those are naturally optional and can be moved around however you like :)
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Although your state allows you to do a "self-uniting" ceremony, does it have any requirements for wording, such as a declaration of intent?  Be sure to check that out and incorporate any required wording into your ceremony.
  • Jen4948 said:

Although your state allows you to do a "self-uniting" ceremony, does it have any requirements for wording, such as a declaration of intent?  Be sure to check that out and incorporate any required wording into your ceremony.

That's true!  We sent our script to our ordained officiant whose doing the pronouncement once it was done to make sure everything was up to snuff as far as it being legal.  He gave it the stamp of approval but each state is different.
  • Yeah the part we need to include is the "I take you to be my..."
  • Maybe make your google searches more specific, like Secular Wedding Ceremonies, or Pagan Wedding Vows, or Baptist Wedding Wording.  I started with a wedding I found online, changed a few things, changed a few more, stole some lines from this forum, changed some more.  It looks nothing like what it started at.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards