Connecticut
Options

Cake question

So the caterers I've talked to include about $5 per person for the cake. I was wondering if you ladies all ordered one piece of cake for every person attending, or if you were able to instruct the caterers to cut the pieces a little thinner, or just ordered less than the final guest count? I feel like not everybody eats the cake and that a lot of it goes to waste? But maybe that's just me.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Im not sure about ordering less than the final guest count but i do know when they make the cakes its an estimated count like a 3 tier round will feed 100-150 people (idk if thats the right number but you get the idea). I guess you could under estimate the final head count to the baker and hope it all works out . . .
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is your reception a plated dinner?  If so, you need enough sliced to feed each person.  How would you feel if you attended a wedding and they didn't bring you dessert because they ran out?  Not only would it kind of suck, but you'd probably think that a) boy that's cheap or b) how could they not have enough cake for everyone? or c) gee that's tacky.  If you are having a buffet style dinner or dessert table where the cake will be sliced and plated for people to take along with there being other desserts to choose from you could probably underestimate a bit.  That's ONLY if people will be getting up and choosing themselves though.  Even with that though you run the risk of running out and people not getting any.  If you're not attached to having the top tier to freeze you can also instruct them to serve the top tier if need be.  If it's a cost issue, you can inquire about a small cake (or cake with fake tiers and only one real) to cut and have sheet cakes in the back to be served.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    lfreeman24lfreeman24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It definitely makes sense. I wasn't planning on not getting ENOUGH i was just wondeirng how "thick" the slices that the caterers cut. One of my bridesmaids had suggested having it cut thinner to save on it but you're definitely right that it'd be tacky, rude, and cheap. I was just suprised how much cakes cost! I mean a cake for 150 people would be $700-1000, I guess I just understimated how much they'd cost!

I also think most weddings I've been to recently have the cake on a table while people are dancing so a lot of people don't eat it. But its better to have too much than not enough!

Thanks for the input.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_cake-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:fccf72fe-31a8-4742-a458-3ffa29f89b48Post:ca995dcf-ec05-4dcc-91bf-ba3a64442131">Re: Cake question</a>:
    [QUOTE]It definitely makes sense. I wasn't planning on not getting ENOUGH i was just wondeirng how "thick" the slices that the caterers cut. One of my bridesmaids had suggested having it cut thinner to save on it but you're definitely right that it'd be tacky, rude, and cheap. I was just suprised how much cakes cost! I mean a cake for 150 people would be $700-1000, I guess I just understimated how much they'd cost! I also think most weddings I've been to recently have the cake on a table while people are dancing so a lot of people don't eat it. But its better to have too much than not enough! Thanks for the input.
    Posted by lfreeman24[/QUOTE]
    Yea, it is expensive.  $5.00 a slice is definitely in line with what is normally in CT.  I paid $4.50/person, but some of the bakers I interviewed were as high as $15.00/person!!!  There was no freaking way I was paying as much if not more for a slice of cake as I was for alcohol. lol!

As far as the slice size goes, the slices are usually relatively thin anyway.  It's not like a big wedge of cake that you might buy in a bakery or get at a diner, so I'm not sure if they would be able to make them even smaller.  You might ask your baker how big of a slice they are figuring on to get an idea.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards