Attire & Accessories Forum

Flower Crowns

Can we chat about flower crowns? I've been lurking here like a creep for a looong time and haven't seen a BAM of someone with a flower crown, but I'm hoping someone out there can help with some questions...

Silk flowers or fresh flowers? If fresh, how did you do your hair trial? Can I see pics?

I know they are a super trendy trenderson that not everyone likes, but I think it looks so pretty. It's my **bRidAl vIsiOn** and I've pinned like three hundred on my secret Pinterest board. I have a problem.

Re: Flower Crowns

• These were fashionable in the 1960s-'70s.  My sister wore one instead of a veil.  Hers were real flowers, and they were fine, but she had a short, tiered reception.  I didn't attend the pot party that was the second part.  LOL!
    Seriously, flower wreaths are fine, and some of the older folks will be nostalgic about them.  Do talk to the florist if you are using real flowers to choose ones that are more durable.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

These were fashionable in the 1960s-'70s.  My sister wore one instead of a veil.  Hers were real flowers, and they were fine, but she had a short, tiered reception.  I didn't attend the pot party that was the second part.  LOL!
    Seriously, flower wreaths are fine, and some of the older folks will be nostalgic about them.  Do talk to the florist if you are using real flowers to choose ones that are more durable.

Thank you for the reply! I was looking for veil alternatives because they just didn't look right with my dress, and fell in love with the idea.

I do think fresh flowers would look better, but I worry about not being able to try it out and see what it looks like styled before the day.
  • I don't have any experience with this but if you're using a florist and want fresh flowers for your crown, you may be able to speak to him/her about creating a crown for your hair trial... I can't imagine it would be too expensive and that way you could get an idea of what you want to do with it. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Can we chat about flower crowns? I've been lurking here like a creep for a looong time and haven't seen a BAM of someone with a flower crown, but I'm hoping someone out there can help with some questions...

Silk flowers or fresh flowers? If fresh, how did you do your hair trial? Can I see pics?

I know they are a super trendy trenderson that not everyone likes, but I think it looks so pretty. It's my **bRidAl vIsiOn** and I've pinned like three hundred on my secret Pinterest board. I have a problem.

As a child of the 60's, I would not be a fan of seeing this on an adult.  Have you considered making a fascinator from real flowers?  From my perspective, which is admittedly limited, a fascinator would be a more contemporary look.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    I think it sounds lovely. 

If you go with fresh flowers, be sure to use flowers that hold up well since they'll be without water/refrigeration for awhile. 
  • If you do this, I would go with silk. Fresh are more likely to wilt andand/or get crushed.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think it depends on the formality of your wedding. My dear friend was married barefoot in a field on her farm and we made flower crowns for everyone out of real flowers and they looked beautiful, but they did get wilty and smushed by the end. However we were on a farm and no one cared ( by the end a lot of the men had also put on some flower crowns) 
    If you want something more polished than that scene, maybe silk flowers would be best. They have them at bridal shops, you could purchase in advance and do your hair trial with it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I went to Michaels and bought floral wire, floral tape, and random sprays of tiny silk flowers from the clearance bin and tried my hand at it. It was super easy and I only spent $10. I think it would be simple to do with fresh Baby's Breath and/or other sturdy filler plants. My advice is to try and make one yourself before buying one, it won't cost you much and you can play with the styling at home. Plus if you make a fresh one you can observe how it wilts as time goes on. I'm wearing a Juliet cap veil and putting a flower crown over the top, which I'm aware is approaching the epitome of the obnoxious 2015 trendy bride but IDGAF. I'm a delicate fucking fairy.
  • Thanks for all the replies!

@cheesburgers11 That sounds lovely to me! Unfortunately I am cursed with absolutely 0 artistic eye and know better to DIY..anything from my wedding. I wish I had your skills! I'm considering buying something cheap from etsy to get a feel for what it looks like on me.

@southernbelle0915 @elcab great points about fresh flowers getting damaged..

@frenchhousecat that wedding sounds like a blast. Mine's probably a bit more fancy than that, but not by a heap. Like, I'll be in shoes, but it's an outside, relaxed affair.

@mobkaz how dare you not like something I like. Kidding. Does it bother you because it seems childish, or because it's not a modern look? Does a flower crown signify something to you? Genuinely curious. I think I'm going for it regardless because this is one area of my wedding I'm allowed to be selfish, but I wonder if some of my guests might think as you do.

@kikilamp I'll ask my florist, thank you good tip!

• MobKazMobKaz member

Thanks for all the replies!

@cheesburgers11 That sounds lovely to me! Unfortunately I am cursed with absolutely 0 artistic eye and know better to DIY..anything from my wedding. I wish I had your skills! I'm considering buying something cheap from etsy to get a feel for what it looks like on me.

@frenchhousecat that wedding sounds like a blast. Mine's probably a bit more fancy than that, but not by a heap. Like, I'll be in shoes, but it's an outside, relaxed affair.

@mobkaz how dare you not like something I like. Kidding. Does it bother you because it seems childish, or because it's not a modern look? Does a flower crown signify something to you? Genuinely curious. I think I'm going for it regardless because this is one area of my wedding I'm allowed to be selfish, but I wonder if some of my guests might think as you do.

@anniewalkerx, I have two perspectives that cloud my perspective. I am old school Catholic, so when I think of flower crowns I think of little girls making their First Communion, and crowning the BVM in May. As I also said, as a child of the 60's, my thoughts go to peace, love, and Bohemian styles. It may be current at the moment, but for me it is a "been there, done that" style.

I will say, though, that if this is a look you personally love, then I have no doubts you will rock the look. If I saw a bride "wearing it well", my first thought would be how amazing she looked, as opposed to thinking she made a poor choice. I don't see it as being selfish on your part. I see it as knowing who you are, and being confident with it.

My daughter's first choice of shoe was a zebra striped heel. (She broke her foot 8 weeks before her wedding and had to bag the heels altogether.) Was it my look? Nope. But she would have rocked them!
  • MobKaz said:

@anniewalkerx, I have two perspectives that cloud my perspective. I am old school Catholic, so when I think of flower crowns I think of little girls making their First Communion, and crowning the BVM in May. As I also said, as a child of the 60's, my thoughts go to peace, love, and Bohemian styles. It may be current at the moment, but for me it is a "been there, done that" style.

I will say, though, that if this is a look you personally love, then I have no doubts you will rock the look. If I saw a bride "wearing it well", my first thought would be how amazing she looked, as opposed to thinking she made a poor choice. I don't see it as being selfish on your part. I see it as knowing who you are, and being confident with it.

My daughter's first choice of shoe was a zebra striped heel. (She broke her foot 8 weeks before her wedding and had to bag the heels altogether.) Was it my look? Nope. But she would have rocked them!
    Thank you for saying all that! Your daughter sounds super cool. Now to just get my mom off my back about No VeilGate of 2015 :)
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2015
    If you wish, you could combine a veil with a flower crown.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I love that look, @CMGragain! I originally was going to skip the veil and just go with a flower crown, but I think it looks so lovely layered like this! 
  • Flower wreaths have been worn by brides for a few thousand years. I'd call that a trend that's not going anywhere. 
    Buy an inexpensive fake from Etsy for hair trials.
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    edited May 2015
    Also, another option for flowers/veil could be to do a Juliet cap veil instead of a full face veil with flowers. I always think they look so cute and 1920s, plus they look great with a lot, or even just a few flowers.

• Flower wreaths have been worn by brides for a few thousand years. I'd call that a trend that's not going anywhere. 

Buy an inexpensive fake from Etsy for hair trials.
    That's the plan! I actually found a bunch of cheap ones at Claire's to play around with, if anyone is looking to do the same.
  • MobKaz said:

That's what I think of too when I see the flower crowns. I think all the little girls in my class had them for our first communion. I was the only girl in my class that didn't have a cut down wedding dress (my mother didn't wear a white wedding dress so that wasn't happening) and who didn't have a floral crown (I had a headband with white flowers wrapped around it). I also think of daisy chains and running barefoot in the park.

I do second the silk flowers, and find a hairdresser that could work them into your hairstyle as opposed to having a "crown". I've seen that done a bit more classically. 
  • DD made a floral crown to wear for her bridal photos. It was beautiful! As @cheeseburgers11 said, she got some wire, floral tape and silk flowers at Michael's. It was super easy!
  • There is a great shop on Etsy thats also located in NY. They make pretty epic floral crowns. I'll PM you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards