Registry and Gift Forum

How many registries is too many?

Hi, I am having a bit of a dilemma... We initially registered at Macy's, Crate & Barrel, and REI. I am now thinking of and finding more things I'd like to register for that are not available at those stores.

I've since added a Honeyfund and now want to add an Amazon registry and Anthropologie.. How many is too many? I am starting to feel greedy, but there isn't really a ton of stuff on any one registry.

Help!

Thank you! xox

Re: How many registries is too many?

• Ditto PP.  Get rid of the honeyfund and consolidate.  You shouldn't have more than 3 registries - 4 at the max, I would think.  Having 5 registries + a honeyfund would seem super gift-grabby to me.  I probably wouldn't even look at them all to know you didn't have a lot at each registry.
  • Yikes, 5 registries is a lot...and I would side-eye if I were a guest and saw this (just being honest!). 

Honeyfund is a no-no, so you can get rid of that one. As PPs have said, maybe try to consolidate across registries. Since you have an Amazon one, try to utilize that one to slash some of the others since almost anything can be found on Amazon these days. 
  • Thank you for the help! Any reasoning on why Honeyfund is a thumbs down? Thanks again! I'll work on consolidating... :\
  • Search around these boards. There are 100+ threads on how rude/ tacky honeyfunds are.

And please dont register at anthropologie. Just dont.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Why REI? That place severely limits what you can register for. I'd do Amazon instead.
  • First, I would recommend changing your username ASAP. Internet safety. I was able to easily find your registries, and the bit about not having a lot of stuff on them.. I'll just say that I would disagree. What doesn't seem like much to you, does to me. The appropriate amount of things to register for is subjective. (This isn't to like shame you or anything, but I do hope you realize that other people's opinions on this may differ from yours, and multiple large registries will rub at least some people the wrong way.) So please change your name!

And yes, 6 total registries is double what would be the max amount IMO. I can't imagine why anyone would need 4, let alone 6.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• JennaMishTreJennaMishTre member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2015
    In response, REI because we love camping, hiking, and the outdoors. They have a great warranty and we would rather receive reliable product directly from REI than something else from Amazon that we can't easily take back and/or exchange for product we can see if we're not happy with it.

Regarding the "bit" about having a lot of stuff on registries, I was referring to numbers of gifts in correlation to our invited guests. We are under the recommended numbers and I don't want my guests to end up searching for something they can be excited to give us with no luck once the registries get picked over.

A large part of why we registered at stores our guests can visit is because many of them are older and less internet-savvy. They'd prefer to walk into a store, print out a registry, and shop around.

Thanks for the input. I'd really appreciate some reasoning behind the opinions as I was looking for valuable insight from other brides, not judgement. 
  • jennasmt said:

Thank you for the help! Any reasoning on why Honeyfund is a thumbs down? Thanks again! I'll work on consolidating... :\

It's a cash registry, and it's deceitful. It's not limited to Honeyfund. All honeymoon, down payment, gofundme, etc. registries are rude. 

2-3 registries is the max I've seen. I would side eye 4-5 registries. It just seems excessive. 

Can you consolidate the Macy's/C&B registries? Those stores should have a good amount of overlap. Is there another department store that you could look at for your outdoor stuff to consolidate it with your home goods? 
  • jennasmt said:

Thank you for the help! Any reasoning on why Honeyfund is a thumbs down? Thanks again! I'll work on consolidating... :\

It's a cash registry, and it's deceitful. It's not limited to Honeyfund. All honeymoon, down payment, gofundme, etc. registries are rude. 

2-3 registries is the max I've seen. I would side eye 4-5 registries. It just seems excessive. 

Can you consolidate the Macy's/C&B registries? Those stores should have a good amount of overlap. Is there another department store that you could look at for your outdoor stuff to consolidate it with your home goods? 
    Thank you for the help regarding Honeyfund! 

I think if I stick with my original Macy's, C&B, REI we'll be pretty much good to go and in the safe-zone with 3 registries! 

Thanks again!
  • edited March 2015
    I agree with PP to get rid of the Honeyfund.  It's in poor etiquette.   

Three registries with varying price points (low-end, middle and high end) is considered to be acceptable.   I would also consider picking stores that are easily accessible to your guests.   My primary registry is Macy's because my family/friends are regular shoppers there.    They also have good sales and coupons.  Next, I picked Target (low-end) and Pottery Barn (high-end).   All these places have both in-store and online shopping options.   

Personally, I'm not a fan of Amazon.  I know a lot of people love it, but I've never been able to get into buying anything on there.   I know a lot of older people, like my mom and aunts, have never shopped on there at all.     
  • I think limiting to Macy's, C&B, and REI sounds perfect.

• One other thing to think about with Amazon - certain items go out of stock quickly. For a friend's Amazon registry, almost all of the items were unavailable by the time I checked it. 
  • jennasmt said:

In response, REI because we love camping, hiking, and the outdoors. They have a great warranty and we would rather receive reliable product directly from REI than something else from Amazon that we can't easily take back and/or exchange for product we can see if we're not happy with it.

Regarding the "bit" about having a lot of stuff on registries, I was referring to numbers of gifts in correlation to our invited guests. We are under the recommended numbers and I don't want my guests to end up searching for something they can be excited to give us with no luck once the registries get picked over.

A large part of why we registered at stores our guests can visit is because many of them are older and less internet-savvy. They'd prefer to walk into a store, print out a registry, and shop around.

Thanks for the input. I'd really appreciate some reasoning behind the opinions as I was looking for valuable insight from other brides, not judgement. 
    Personally, I would side-eye Anthro, REI and a honeyfund, and I'm guessing your older guests would too.
  • I would not side eye an REI registry. So building a life together means doing stuff outside versus matching towels and some mixing bowls..so what? We registered on Amazon for our backpacking tent and a few other outdoorsy things. If anyone snubbed it, they could just as easily log onto Macy's and buy us a blender.

I would definitely side eye honeyfund because its the same as asking for money, which is incredibly rude.
    *********************************************************************************

• I would not side-eye REI.  But I would side-eye Anthropologie.  Their stuff is outrageously expensive and often unnecessary.  2-3 registries is perfectly fine.  4+?  That starts to get excessive and gift grabby.

Honeyfunds are rude because they are essentially asking your guests for cash.  They are also deceitful.  You do not get the "experience."  You get a check at the end, minus a fee that honeyfund takes.  If you actually want cash, then only make a small registry, or don't register at all, and people will take the hint and give you cash.  But it sounds like you actually want things on your registries, so just nix the Honeyfund altogether.  Plus, you're probably going to get cash anyways.  Everyone knows cash is a good gift. 

• I originally registered at Anthropologie ( day they came out with a registry, I was so excited!) and received a gift from my registry and a gift card as an engagement present, which my fiancé and I promptly used. Almost everything we bought has since broken or chipped, and 6 months later, seems gimmicky and overly trendy. I feel like the purpose of a registry is to ask for gifts that you will use to start a life together, and therefore should be  high quality and timeless. For what some items cost there, I don't think Anthro fits into either category. I would skip if I were you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I felt the same way!! I heard about HoneyFund but didn't want to just ask for cash since that might be taken a little rude by some people, you know some guests can get kinda touchy. So I registered for actual gifts from brick and mortar stores but felt a little self conscious about having more than three store registries, REI INCLUDED LOL. So I heard about MyRegistry.com as an alternative. They link up all your store registries together so you will only be sharing your myregistry link with your guests. Makes it simple to share one link over multiple stores so it doesn't confuse your guests annnndd you don't look too bad LOL
  • I'm more of a visual person and wouldn't register at Amazon. I know some of the items we will register for won't be in store but a large amount will. I have to feel the quality of the items and it seems like fun to go into store to register.
  • I would say 3 registries max.  We only did Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and even that was a lot.  I had originally wanted to do an Amazon registry as well but it never quite worked out.  Also, ditch the Honeyfund.  It is just very tacky and will not go over well with guests.
  • I agree that Honeyfunds are terrible. 

But I disagree on 3 registries max, especially if one is REI because that seems really specialized to me. I wouldn't side-eye it. But then, I'm biased because that's what we did. We did three registries (Macy's, C&B, and Williams Sonoma), and when those started to run out of items, I added Sears just for tools. There were less than 10 items on that one, all craftsman tools. 

If you're worried about giving your guests enough options, you can always just monitor your registries, and add something later on if you available items starts to dwindle. 
  • edited May 2015

OP has not been active since March 4. I'm sure this question has been answered for her.

-zombie thread closed-

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards