Attire & Accessories Forum

Where to find off-white or ivory men's dress shirt?

Does anyone know where to buy good men's dress shirts in ivory or off-white?  I was told at the bridal shop that because my dress is ivory, the men's shirts should be ivory too, because white shirts would make my ivory dress look dirty. 

These shirts are hard to find! Many of them look yellow and dingy. Has anyone else received this advice about the ivory shirts? Do I really need to do this or would white be ok? 

Re: Where to find off-white or ivory men's dress shirt?

• It will not make your dress look dirty. Bridal shop people are weirdos and I swear they say things just to make you stress out. I would just get white dress shirts for the guys.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    Your bridal shop is wrong.  Your men should wear white shirts, no matter what shade of white your gown is.  The camera will not pick up the difference on your gown, but off-white shirts can photograph as looking dingy.  My daughter's dress was ivory and her guys wore traditional white shirts with their dark suits.  They looked terrific!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don't think you need to get an off-white or ivory shirt either.  My H didn't wear an ivory shirt and my dress did not look dingy in any of our pictures.

But if it will help you feel more at ease, I would look into a higher end men's store, like Jos A Banks or Mens Warehouse.  They should have a better selection over stores like Macy's, JC Pennys, etc.
  • Does anyone know where to buy good men's dress shirts in ivory or off-white?  I was told at the bridal shop that because my dress is ivory, the men's shirts should be ivory too, because white shirts would make my ivory dress look dirty. 

These shirts are hard to find! Many of them look yellow and dingy. Has anyone else received this advice about the ivory shirts? Do I really need to do this or would white be ok? 
    Go with the white shirt!  Please don't do ivory or off-white.  I don't know why so many shops say this.  The off-white/ivory shirt will look dingy.  You want a crisp, clean white shirt.  You'll never notice the difference next to your dress because, unlike an ivory shirt, an ivory dress looks white.....it's just softer than paper white.
  • I would try Macy's but honestly, I don't think it will make them dingy. Ivory and yellow are two very distinct separate colors.
  • Get white.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think my fiance has an ivory shirt from Men's Warehouse. I'd never heard of ivory shirts photographing "dingy;" I'll have to let him know this. He bought two colors and said he's going to make "a game day decision."
  • Definitely just go with a white shirt. Most ivory or off white shirts look dingy in person and especially in photos. My dress was ivory and DH wore a white shirt and you couldn't tell they didn't match, not that anyone would really pay that close attantion anyways.

• My husband wore an off white shirt from Men's Wearhouse, looking at the photos it matches my ivory gown almost perfectly... and looks like we're both just wearing white. In person the shirts also looked white, so I say go with what you can easily find, be it white or off white, you'll be the only one that knows what color it technically is.
  • Just have him go with a nice white shirt.  You won't be able to tell the difference and your dress isn't going to look dingy or dirty.  it is very hard to find an ivory men's shirt that isn't so dark, that it doesn't look almost  yellow-ish.
  • I tried both of those! Mens Wearhouse, in addition to having clueless and sleazy salesmen, only had one option, but it had been discontinued and therefore very few sizes were available, even nationwide. Jos Bank only had the yellowy "ecru" color that reminds me of a bus driver (nothing against bus drivers, that's just not the look I'm going for for the wedding).
  • Can I just say... if this ivory shirt business is so widely recommended by bridal shops (which, based on my internet searches, it is), then why aren't there more ivory shirts on the market? Every conceivable wedding item seems to be for sale out there, except for these damn ivory shirts. I was even joking (or half-joking) with my mom that I should start a business that sells shirts in various shades of off-white and ivory.

This seems like a cruel trick. The fatcats in the bridal industry got together with the fatcats in the menswear industry and decided to mess with the heads of brides everywhere! My mom and I wasted an entire afternoon looking for those damn shirts. "George Banks is saying no!"  

I hope people get my FOB reference because I was totally having a George Banks moment... didn't end up in lockup though. 
  • I tried both of those! Mens Wearhouse, in addition to having clueless and sleazy salesmen, only had one option, but it had been discontinued and therefore very few sizes were available, even nationwide. Jos Bank only had the yellowy "ecru" color that reminds me of a bus driver (nothing against bus drivers, that's just not the look I'm going for for the wedding).

Really? My fiance just bought his for the wedding last Monday...
  • Can I just say... if this ivory shirt business is so widely recommended by bridal shops (which, based on my internet searches, it is), then why aren't there more ivory shirts on the market? Every conceivable wedding item seems to be for sale out there, except for these damn ivory shirts. I was even joking (or half-joking) with my mom that I should start a business that sells shirts in various shades of off-white and ivory.

This seems like a cruel trick. The fatcats in the bridal industry got together with the fatcats in the menswear industry and decided to mess with the heads of brides everywhere! My mom and I wasted an entire afternoon looking for those damn shirts. "George Banks is saying no!"  

I hope people get my FOB reference because I was totally having a George Banks moment... didn't end up in lockup though. 
    I have only seen one clip from this movie and I think it was this. Wasn't he bitching about the ratio of hot buns to hot dogs in a package?
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    The groom and groomsmen at my sister's wedding wore ivory shirts.  My sister was wearing an ivory dress.  I was worried about the ivory looking dingy based on what people had said in the forums on here. I even posted a question on here asking if they really look super dingy. I mentioned it briefly to my sister, but she brushed it off and wasn't concerned, so I left it alone.

They did not look dingy at all. They matched perfectly and look great in all the photos. I'd post a photo, but internet safety and all.

The tag in H's shirt says it's from Jos A. Bank, the traveler's collection.  I think they were ordered from Men's Wearhouse.  

ETA: And in reading the rest of the thread, I see you don't like the Jos A. Bank ones. Maybe they've changed the shade (that was only a year and a half ago when they got them), but the one H has looks really nice and looked really nice in photos and in person at the wedding.
  • He kind of has a meltdown over the cost when the wedding planners are at his house tearing everything apart (they are having a large wedding at home, which I don't think happens much in real life). Then he goes to the grocery store and freaks out because he feels nickel-and-dimed on the hot dog buns. Because dogs come in packages of 10 while buns come in packages of 8, or something like that. So he flips out in the store and gets arrested. 

It's a great movie, one of my all time faves. I sent my dad a DVD of it for Father's Day. It seemed appropriate since my wedding is a month away!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards