Attire & Accessories Forum

Black Tie Attire help needed for wedding on 6.20.15!

I have a question as a guest of a wedding - if it's Black Tie preferred how do you know if your dress is too dressy (or if you are using an old bridesmaids dress if it's out of fashion)? I'm considering a strapless black floor length dress with pickups or a halter neck black floor length gown. Please help!

Re: Black Tie Attire help needed for wedding on 6.20.15!

• I'd show up in whatever the hell I wanted to wear. Black tie preferred is not a thing and the bride shouldn't be so rude as to require a dress code when one does not need to be imposed (IE: the venue has a dress code or the event is a true black tie event.)

But to answer your question, as ludicrous as the Bride is, I would probably wear the halter neck black floor length gown as I could find a bra for the proper support.

• I have a question as a guest of a wedding - if it's Black Tie preferred how do you know if your dress is too dressy (or if you are using an old bridesmaids dress if it's out of fashion)? I'm considering a strapless black floor length dress with pickups or a halter neck black floor length gown. Please help!

Lurkers - THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T MAKE UP STUPID SHIT AND DICTATE WHAT YOUR GUESTS SHOULD WEAR TO YOUR WEDDING!

Phew - okay. Now I feel better. Anyway, "black tie preferred" grinds my gears so I'd probably wear a regular cocktail dress. But between the two, without seeing pictures, I'd probably go with the halter.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Well black tie preferred means that the couple just wants their guests to dress up because it will meet their vision.  So really they are being silly.

For a true black tie event a ball gown/formal floor length gown is typically worn.  So for this wedding you could either wear a nice cocktail dress or a floor length gown if you wish.  As for if it is out of fashion, well that really doesn't matter.  What matters is if you like what you are wearing.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    "Black tie preferred"?  How tacky!  I would show up in distressed acid wash jeans and a tee shirt, worn with a black bow tie..
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wear this:

But seriously. It was pretty rude of her to dictate your dress, as PPs have said, when it's not a true black tie event, and the venue doesn't have a dress code. Wear what you feel comfortable and happy in. :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • This is why "Black tie preferred" and "Black tie optional" are awful. Either the wedding is black tie or it's not. Ugh.

Anyway, you're outfit sounds very nice and you'll look fine.
    *********************************************************************************

• Halter.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    southernbelle0915 said: This is why "Black tie preferred" and "Black tie optional" are awful. Either the wedding is black tie or it's not. Ugh. Anyway, you're outfit sounds very nice and you'll look fine.

DD was just in a wedding where the invitation said "Black Tie
    Invited".  On their website, they used their 3 1/2 gap to justify guests being able to change from ceremony garb to "glam" garb.  I used the gap to justify the reason for declining the invitation.  In all seriousness, the bride explained that they did this because they were worried that the groom's family would not dress appropriately.  So wrong on so many levels.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    MobKaz said:
    This is why "Black tie preferred" and "Black tie optional" are awful. Either the wedding is black tie or it's not. Ugh. Anyway, you're outfit sounds very nice and you'll look fine.

DD was just in a wedding where the invitation said "Black Tie Invited".  On their website, they used their 3 1/2 gap to justify guests being able to change from ceremony garb to "glam" garb.  I used the gap to justify the reason for declining the invitation.  In all seriousness, the bride explained that they did this because they were worried that the groom's family would not dress appropriately.  So wrong on so many levels.

Yes, because we all know that if our guests aren't dressed "appropriately" (meaning up to our standards) then the wedding will just be ruined!  I think brides today need to stop worrying so much about things they can't control/the things that really don't matter and just focus on the things they can.  There would be a lot less bridezillas and speshul snowflakes.

• no gaps no black tie optional or prefered if the venue has a strict dress code ex it has to be black tie they you put black tie on the invite. 

if they have a more lax dress code but no jeans or sneakers allowed you use word of mouth or post on your wedding website if you have one.. 

its black tie preferred but not required so wear a little black dress don't go all out fancy go cocktail length wear what you feel comfortable in.  most of the guest are not going to go black tie if they dont own anything appropriate your then asking your guest to get a floor length fancy gown which they would have to shell out $$$$$ 
  • Halter. I just think pick ups are ugly.
  • Two words: Canadian Tuxedo

In all seriousness: Wear what you feel most comfortable in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards